Need some help on offtank visuals

Which one of these icons is more obvious and emblematic of offtanks?

I think Dva is way more recognized.

2 Likes

The hooks. An object is cleaner than a character icon. Dva’s face is not really indicative of off tanks, imo.

10 Likes

If you want something in keeping with the existing Class icons, neither of them. It shouldn’t just be so obviously referring to an individual Hero.

My first thought of an Off-tank Emblem would be a Fist:
Off-Tanks are often accused of being “Fat Dps”, and a fist has aggressive, “Tough” implications; and they also generally operate best at short range.

14 Likes

Doomfist, basically?

I like the crosshooks better

Alternatively, having a Doomfist gauntlet as an offtank icon also would be cool

the tank icon is a shield so i think the weapon or tools being a symbol is better than just dva’s face

though if you’re making a mock up for an off tank queue i think that would just make queue times worse imo

1 Like

Like the cross hooks, but from a symbolism standpoint, I think it relates too much to Hog, and not enough to an off-tank’s role. Like, if a tank is a shield, then an off tank is a smaller shield and sword. Something more neutral like that.

3 Likes

Perhaps, but so far I’m not including Doom in the Bruiser category. (Despite what PlatChat says about the concept).

But it is true, that when people think of “problematic CC heroes” that Doom and Mei are top of the list.

Working on a Reddit low brain power version of this idea.

1-3-2 with 1x optional offtank

âś… Modified 1-3-2 that can be 1-1-2-2

Try imposing the DPS image over the tank one but make the part covered by the DPS portion transparent

1 Like

Yeah, a shield with 3x cut outs of bullet icons on it.

I could try that.

3 Likes

I don’t like neither, I’d rather go with a cannon or a shot gun since both DVa and Hog have a shot-gun like weapon or both Zarya and DVa have a cannon weapon.

1 Like

Lol was originally thinking a mace and shield, but that gets to be confusing with Brig

I would rather see a heavy weapon you know?
Or just a big size one.

Like an Axe?

1 Like

Tanks are shields, shields protect people, often used in videogames next to a defense stat, it’s intuitive. DPS is shown by bullets, overwatch is a FPS, a good 90% of the roster primarily use ranged weapons, we all associate bullets=guns=shooting=damage. It’s intuitive. The support being a cross is a classic icon meant for healing, either you press the cross button to heal, or your medkit has a cross on it.

All of them are intuitive because they are commonly seen and recognized symbols that mean basic things that correlate to the roll. Nobody needs to tell you that the shield means tank, the cross means healer.

If you took the text away i’d be wondering what the point was in having a roadhog button, or a D.Va button. Symbols are powerful because they work without text. Adding text is just for flavor. If your symbol can’t stand on it’s own with no other information, it’s not a good symbol and needs workshopping.

Maybe a helmet and an axe?
But that’s just me.

Helmets and Axes are too brawly. IDK

So I take it, this doesn’t work.

What about a nuke? Fat nukes?

Maybe three nukes side by side instead of three bullets like it is for DPS