Need a real fix for Rendering Device Lost

Hello!

My wife and I both play Overwatch. Both of our systems randomlyish crash out to “Rendering Device Lost” anywhere within the first 5 minutes to 2 hours.

Things we tried:

Those settings specifically did not do anything. Next we tried

No good fixes there as well and some vague mentions of both being ‘looked into’ and Rendering Device Lost - Blizzard Support

But that’s way back over half a year ago.

Here’s a history of the systems:

My original system:

• i7 2600k
  • Asrock P67 Extreme
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 256 GB Samsung 840 Evo
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • (No crashing) EVGA GeForce 770
  • (Rendering Device Lost) Zotac 1080 TI
  • (Rendering Device Lost) EVGA RTX 2070 XC
  • Seasonic SS-850HT 850W PSU

Wife’s original system:

• i7 5830k
  • Gigabyte X99 ud4p
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 256 GB Crucial M4
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • (Rendering Device Lost) Gigabyte GeForce 1080TI
  • (Rendering Device Lost) EVGA RTX 2070 XC
  • Crucial RM1000x PSU

Both were tested on a UPS and on wall power. No changes. Then we decided to just trash everything and just refresh our PCs. My Sandy Bridge was feeling old. Wife’s didn’t really need it but she wanted to play more competitive games so might as well try something.

Current systems:
Mine:

• i7 7700k
  • MSI Z270 Gaming M7
  • 32 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo
  • Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • EVGA RTX 2070 XC
  • Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX

Wife’s:

• Ryzen 2700X
  • ASUS ROG Strix X470-F
  • 64 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo
  • Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • Gigabyte 1080 TI
  • Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX

New systems, fresh Windows OS, none of our stuff carried over from the old systems and new drivers. NVIDIA driver 431.36 Standard. We can try the DDU one without the other stuff but we also like to have Geforce Experience every now and then for recordings and VOD reviews.

We’ve also tried MSI Afterburner to set these video cards back from manufacturer settings to stock NVIDIA settings with no success.

I’m not sure how many comp games we ended up wrecking but since it is random, we’d try something, try some QP and think it is fixed and it ends up coming back.

The only 100% fix so far is to rename Overwatch.exe to something else (Underwatch, OwOwatch, notOverwatch, you name it) and it will run fine for weeks until you get patched.

An issue with this is that if we ever forget to launch notOverwatch and run the game from the launcher, we’d crash at some indeterminate point and get penalized. With the upcoming 2-2-2 where you can lose SR on all 3 roles, that becomes not fun at all.

Another issue is that we can’t play the game as intended. To even play the PTR, we have to make a notOverwatch and backwards-figure out how the Launcher launches the game and make a shortcut with those arguments. My current one looks like:
“C:\Games\Overwatch Test_ptr_\uwuwatch.exe” --BNetServer=test. actual. battle. net:1119 --cluster=PTR -uid prometheus_test

It isn’t just the PTR - we can’t use our authenticator push notifications and single signons; we have to use a username, password and the authenticator digits every time we play or swap from live to PTR or vice versa.

I’m going to ask that you get together with NVIDIA and either: have them get rid of or make it easier to remove games like Overwatch.exe from their list, or maybe you add in a ‘safe mode’ where it just renames and runs Overwatch but their detection stuff doesn’t catch and optimize it. Please help.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: “Render Device Lost” Fix for RTX