Mythbusting: "Human eye cannot see beyond 60 FPS"

You lost the right to say that when you said this

You are speaking literally out of your behind and not personal experience. We are literally telling you that we have these monitors, and play at high frames, and we can confirm a difference.

1 Like

I mean, it’s noticeable to basically everyone else. To the point that most people playing at 140+ fps would lose their sh*t if they had to play at 60fps

And its one thing to say that you cant perceive the difference. It’s another thing entirely to say that there isnt one

3 Likes

LMAO, I didn’t lose the right to anything, watch me say it again: the 100% difference isn’t noticeable.

You realize there are other games besides Overwatch and that this topic is not specifically about OW, right? Because I admitted that there might be difference for games like OW that require snap reactions. But in-general, the difference is not noticeable.

Check your monitor cable
Some cables are capped to 60fps
and check your displayed framerate on your desktop

3 Likes

The new movie Gemini Man (Will Smith) is shown in 120fps in the high-end theaters

Oh you can say it again, your opinion just holds zero value

People using high refresh rate monitors are playing games that require fast reaction times. Games like shooters and racing games

If you are playing a JRPG or a fighter locked at 60fps then yeah you most likely wont notice since those games arent built to take advantage of high refresh rates.

However

Since we are talking about “snap reactions” those games are as irrelevant as your opinion

1 Like

Yet people can tell the difference, just a thought. Our eyes do not see beyond 60 FPS but what if the image we see is the changing of frames and this occurrence gets less and less frequent the higher the FPS/HZ.

The highest it’s been for me with any game was capped at 100 fps.

From 30-40, I notice the difference.

From 40-60, I notice the difference.

From 60-100, there was no significant difference.

Yeah sure, that’s not a 100% increase just yet, but I highly doubt my perception will change from 100-120. I can safely say 60-100 was nothing.

Make a quick 180 on 60 and then on 100, you will see, if not get you’re eyes checked because really this is pretty noticeable for everyone.

Wasn’t the reason why you should play on over 100FPS even if your monitor is only 60hz is so that if for some reason you get drops you don’t go below 60?

How are those games irrelevant when the OP mentions several different game genres? He even mentions RPGs.

Yes they do. That was the exact point of the OP

2 Likes

they are irrelevant because those games are not made to take advantage of high fps. most of them (especially if they come from japan) are locked to 30 or 60fps.

the other few that do support higher frame rates rarely require the fast reaction times needed in competitive games and benefit way less. In other words the games are irrelevant

1 Like

I meant the HDMI cable, the one you connect the Monitor to the PC
Some old cables don’t allow more than 60HZ,
Your game might display 100fps, in reality you still get 60HZ

For me though 75 from 60 was a huge difference and I cannot go back

1 Like

Thats refresh rate u talk about (HZ), and u need a special HDMI cable or a DP (displayport) cable to get refreshrates higher then 60 HZ.

1 Like

I’m playing on 144 Hz most of the time, but when I visit my parents on weekends, I’m playing on a laptop with 60 Hz. This means I get a comparison on a regular basis and the difference is not just noticable, it really annoys me how slow the updates on 60 Hz are when in busy situations.
One could argue that this is due to the generally lower settings and worse hardware, but this isn’t the case. One of the latest Windows updates screwed my monitor settings and the monitor was reset to 60 Hz, which I immediately noticed when I started playing. Everything is just so slow.

I was one of the people who were sceptic about 144 Hz bringing a real difference for gaming and I only bought a 144 Hz monitor, because I noticed they aren’t that expensive anymore, like half a year ago, so I might as well try it and I really regret not buying one earlier.

1 Like

False. But let me ask you a question: have you coupled that 100+ FPS rig with a monitor that does 100+ HZ? Because if you haven’t, than yes you can’t see the difference.

Like OP said you need a screen with a high refresh rate (HZ) to benefit from high FPS. Examples:
100FPS, you’ll need a 100HZ screen to benefit the most from it.
144FPS, you’ll need a 144HZ screen to benefit the most from it.
200FPS, you’ll need a 200HZ screen to benefit the most from it.

There are plenty of ‘blind’ tests on Youtube where people guess the refresh rate without knowing it up front because they simply ARE ABLE to tell the difference.

edit: and btw I have a 165HZ screen coupled with a GPU that is able to do 165FPS. Coming from 60HZ, the difference is truely night and day, especially in shooters. I wouldn’t want to go back to 60HZ (or 100HZ) even if someone payed me a 1000 bucks.

3 Likes

Wait are people in this thread actually arguing that eyes don’t see above 60 fps? Like legitimately? XD

4 Likes

Wouldn’t this be 1? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Literally everyone can see the difference already just on the desktop moving a mouse.

On top of that there is also a blur effect caused by lcd limitations. I think for humans to actually not notice any blur anymore the screen needs about 1000hz. (Someone calculated it somewhere but dont know anymore)