Mystery Heroes veto!

I mostly play Mystery Heroes, but I’d love it if I could select a box to veto say three of the heroes I absolutely hate playing.

As it is, since they made it impossible to kill yourself when you get a bad pick, the best you can do it just walk out in front of the enemy team and let them kill you quickly. I don’t actually do that, but I’m often tempted.

It’d be better for all concerned if I could just say “I’ll play anyone but Doomfist, Sombra and Genji.”

10 Likes

Being able to ban heroes just opens the mode up to wonky balance. There are only 6 tanks and 6 healers, so banning 3 of either, can seriously hurt the potential compositions for your team. A balanced comp would no longer be entirely RNG dependent, but actually weighted against you.

That said, Jeff did say recently they’d be looking at introducing a new type of moderately balanced mystery heroes in the future at some point.

3 Likes

What? This is Mystery Heroes! Half the time I end up in a team with 4 Widowmakers, or two Anas, a Zen and a Mercy anyway. It’s wonky AF by design! :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s irrelevant if the person playing said tank/support doesn’t want to. Someone playing a role [purposefully] poorly or lazily can be worse than not having the hero at all. Someone who decides they want to be a battle mercy and not heal anyone is far worse than fi they just got to play soldier.

At the end of the day, mystery heroes is great for trying out new stuff, but as the OP hints at, some people just hate certain characters. There’s certain heroes that I absolutely hate playing. Their character and abilities are just super lame or boring to me to the point where I’d rather not play than play those heroes.

1 Like

They need this for QP and Comp in general.

Eh. I’d rather see it reworked to prevent repeats and threepeats of the same hero. Introduce a new mode where each hero can only be chosen once per team, but the hero that’s chosen is random

3 Likes

Idk, in my experience (many hundreds of hours in Mystery Heroes) that happens very infrequently. The people who most complain about not liking the heroes they’ve been given tend to leave, and I assume, play a different mode altogether. The people playing Mystery just to play Mystery are generally trying on every hero even if they’re bad.

2 Likes

I would much prefer something like this. Genuinely random with some form of balance, or forced variety.

1 Like

It’s not about being bad or good, though. Some people just dislike playing certain heroes. The rare times I play the game mode, any time I play a hero I don’t like I tend to just play really aggressively on purpose - best case scenario I somehow kill a bunch of people, worst case scenario I finally get to stop playing this worthless hero that I hate. I don’t even for a minute think about actually trying with that hero though. They are a complete throw-away for me. Pretty much just a waste of time until I die.

And do you find you lose more often than you win? I definitely hate playing Doomfist because I’m terrible with him. But I still try to get some kills before I die. That’s my only point. Nobody likes playing every hero, but there is some balance in that, and if people aren’t trying, they’re going to lose more. I’m OK with that.

All banning heroes would accomplish in my opinion, is that large groups of people would choose to ban healers and tanks in the hopes of playing DPS more frequently – which would only further exacerbate the fact that more balanced comps (those with shields and heals) tend to win more often in that mode.

1 Like

A better fix would just be to add a hero limit to Mystery heroes. Maybe not 1 of each hero, but 2 maximum.

How’s that better? I still end up with flipping Doomfist or Sombra. I might as well sit in spawn for all the use I am with them.

You’re only banning them for yourself.

The whole point of Mystery Heroes is being able to cycle through the entire roster of heroes in the game. If you can’t do that, then you should be playing a different mode.

Mystery Heroes has helped improve my personal gameplay on all heroes to the point where the only hero I can’t play well is Doomfist. If all that playtime you’ve spent in Mystery still hasn’t helped you improve on certain heroes, then you need to either accept that you suck with those heroes and deal with it or just not play Mystery anymore. Mystery is supposed to be chaotic, same as Total Mayhem, so trying to change it too much disrupts the chaoticness of it all.

2 Likes

Mystery Heroes is designed to be, well, a mystery. Banning / Selecting heroes you don’t want to play defeats the purpose.

I like Mystery Heroes for the fact it forces you out of your comfort zone. Not good at Hanzo? Boom, it forces you to play as him. Of course you can just jump off the match or die, but I like the idea of playing as heroes I never click.

2 Likes

Well, the gamemode is called mystery heroes, you are always going to get a mystery hero, and everybody has heroes they dislike, you just have to live with it or you could just go give the enemy team a hug and let them kill you, ive seen people do that a lot.

banning for yourself means you’re also banning for you team. You’re reducing the likelihood that your team gets those heroes.

It’s Mystery heroes no character is required in order to win. No one cares. OP is just suggesting that there be 3 heroes he not have to play because he hates them. It’s not banning anything for your team. That’s like saying in comp I’m banning Roadhog because I don’t want to play him.

That’s stupid. Anyone else can play him if they want and if they dont then oh well. He’s not required to win the game.

Nice, close to the 3 I’d rather not see, though it would be likely “Rein, Doomfist and Genji”.

I must admit I don’t mind too much, I actually learnt Zarya maybe 3 weeks ago because I kept getting her in Mystery, everything just ‘clicked’ and I felt confident to play her in QP and even a little comp.

Again - good vs bad with a hero is not the issue. The reason I dislike heroes has nothing to do with being good or bad at them. I just don’t enjoy them. They are either boring to play or I don’t like that characters persona. Back in TF2 I refused to play scout on principle. Not because I was bad with him, but because I hated him as a character. Same goes here. There are heroes that I just don’t want to play.

I’m not sure I agree with your statement that people will just use it to lock out support/tank heroes. As someone who plays a ton of DPS, I’m happy to play tanks and supports. In fact, the three heroes I don’t want to play: Genji, Doomfist, Junkrat.