Mystery heroes: If you can't make ults work fair, don't make them work at all

Because if you want it to take less time, that means engaging the enemy, which means you’re likely to die, especially since the enemy team has their ults.

How is it unprofessional to not choose to make a significant balance decision in an arcade mode that’s not supposed to be properly balanced by design?

That’s the sort of thing you only ever hear from Gamers™.

3 Likes

I have to stop replying at this point , this literally doesn’t make sense ?.?! How is this a even a problem , or even a thread :joy::joy:

1 Like

No, it wouldm’t Because it’s not an “issue” in need of fixing, it’s an intentional design decision.

It’s like if I was whining about being able to swap heroes mid match in TM. A- it’s a joke of an arcade mode. B- It’s intentional, and I have to get over it.

Calling them incompetent, unprofessional and disgusting because I don’t like a design choice and acting like it’s some major bug ruining the game for years now is irrational and self absorbed on a pretty high level.

3 Likes

why would you want to change the most loved playmode in overwatch? (not that i like it)
But there must be a reason why it’s the most played arcade…

1 Like

i’m not saying they should carry over
It’s impossible, because different heroes have different charge speed and ult points amount
If you transfer percentages, you can have tracer who charges bomb after 1 minute, die and get zarya or other “long charge strong ult”
If you transfer points, then you can have lucio with 2625 ult charge, die, respawn as Tracer with 1125 ult charge, die, from, for example, spamzo, then respawn as lucio again with only 40% of your ult charge. A bit unfair

Yet Blizzard themselves said (Torbjörn Rework | Coming Soon, second paragraph) that they don’t like mechanics that gives advantage to winning side, that losing side can never use.

1 Like

This thread’s issue aside, I think it’s one of the most popular modes because of the following:

• next to no toxicity, especially regarding hero picks (because well… you can’t choose your hero)
  • games are more varied than the proper modes where it’s either a DPS mess (QP) or predictable meta’ish stuff (comp)
  • it’s in arcade so you get extra lootboxes
  • the mode actually plays very differently from QP or comp (e.g. individual picks are relatively much more important because that person doesn’t return as the same hero)
  • you get to play all heroes (like, how often do you see complaints on the forums that people constantly have to fill for tank or support? That problem doesn’t exist in MH)

However, on the subject of the post. Having ult charge carry over after death (or at least partly) is one of the more suggested things for the mode (next to all different kinds of flavors of hero limits).

1 Like

Get rid (alternode mode works) of the hero stacking and you address a lot of ult issue as well…since hero stacks tend to A) stick around and gain ult charge while B) provide a significant advantage and thusly enemy team can’t build up charges…

1 Like

There is a snowball effect to MH, but it’s not all about Ultimates. A team that gets a good comp first has a huge advantage, especially the ones with 2-3 healers and at least one tank. They die less and thus gain ult charge more often and thus kill more and die less. It’s a vicious cycle.

So your team of 5 doomfist and a widow VS a bastion Orisa +4 healer comp has some serious trouble making a dent in the enemy team. This is why leavers are so common in MH, a lot of people leave the after teh first failed push or if they see the team comp is horrible.

Which is a bit sad as many times things can turn around but most of the time it doesn’t. I don’t really like like MH that much, but I still play it more than any other game mode because it’s the best thing available in Arcade most of the time.

I would rather have a random team comp I can enjoy than deal with QP and even worst team comps people choose to play. Especially if you want to play off meta picks, things you would get a lot of hate for even in QP are allowed in MH.

Because they simultaneously made the ‘not supposed to be properly balanced’ gamemode competitive by adding a persistent ‘Win games’ quest to it.

1 Like

That’s an interesting take. And unlike the oft-proposed removal of hero stacking, I think I could live without ults. It’d be interested to have a mode without them, and would undeniably reduce the unfair advantage that a winning team gets after the first fight. I say, let’s go for
it!

I mean, I think it’s fine the way it is, but I wouldn’t be against this change. I think I’d lean more in favor of maintain a certain percentage of ult charge though. You would never spawn with a ready ult, but you wouldn’t have to start from scratch either.

You can lose a team fight without dying. MH teaches people the importance of not dying in every team fight. Stay alive, build ult, swing the next fight for your team.

1 Like

Even without ults, the mode is already unbalanced because the random pick.
Anyway I think MH is fine as it’s now it’s pretty fun as long you don’t think winning is the only fun part.

2 Likes

There’s no fixing something that isn’t broken. The ultimates in MH are fine because they reward you for surviving and punish you for running into your death which highly incentivizes you to actually play the hero that you’re given. Besides attackers also benefit from this by having more momentum after taking first objective and since the gameplay favors attackers anyways it just makes the games even more balanced

This. Yeah I’ll play to win, but I don’t go into MH for a fair fight, I go for the chaos. If I win, I will live with honor. If I lose, I will die with glory!

1 Like

Okay, how about you try critiquing Overwatch without being condescending and rude towards the game devs? Like, I usually don’t go outta my way to police other people’s language, but that’s no way to carry on over, god forbid, an optional game mode.

1 Like

That’s in Comp. It was a completely different issue. That IS Overwatch, and what everything is balanced around, not a random arcade mode.

Besides, as others mentioned, why scapegoat Ult advantage in a mode which winning or losing is primarily based on RNG and whether your team or theirs gets a more viable comp.

I think it’s all part of the strategy in that mode that doesn’t exist elsewhere. Stay alive so you’ll have an ult to break that seemingly-unbreakable defensive comp becomes a viable strategy that you wouldn’t see outside of that mode. It’s part of the fun.

1 Like

If they’re disrespectful to me, I won’t be walking on tiptoes to appease their feelings.

1 Like

random arcade modes don’t stay forever unchanged ignoring any rotation