Lucio on Live servers
On live servers Lucio has the lowest pickrate off all support on average sitting at 1.55%. Even though his pickrate in lowest and highest tiers rises a bit, it still isn’t anywhere comparable to most other supports (except in bronze).
The reasons for this are fairly obvious
- He doesn’t provide as much healing as other supports
- He doesn’t have amazing damage output or damage amplifying tools
- His ult charges the slowest (or second slowest after Zaria) in the game
- His ult is really weak against current meta heroes and can be interrupted easily and is overall really difficult to time correctly
- He doesn’t have amazing CC abilities
In the current meta it is difficult to play Lucio like an actual support cause his healing isn’t really great compared to other supports making him lose brawls and long engagements. Because of this Lucio has to be played as a DPS healer hybrid, utilising his amazing mobility for killing snipers and offsupports which are popular in the current meta (Widow, Hanzo, Zen).
His mobility can be also used to jump over enemy tanks and boop them to your team to separate them and create and opening. Examples are shielding backing off Rein or Zaria after pushing forward with her bubble for energy.
His ult cant be used to counter Grav + Dragons combo making it only useful for attacks and counter attacks on defence in hopes to kill the Hanzo or Zaria to stop the combo from happening. This is very hard and requires good teamwork.
Now finally on the PTR changes
Aura increase - This buff mainly buffs speed boost and taxiing. Now you can be a bit safer when helping someone fall back from safer position or help more people from your team. His healing output is pretty much unaffected as most brawls are happening in the 10m range anyways. While not very strong during fights the more space it gives you to do damage or flank while still being useful for your team is nice.
I am not a big fan of this change cause it doesn’t increase Lucio healing output by much which I think was intended. It also decreases the amount of skill needed to play Lucio and encourage passive gameplay. Overall I think this change isn’t really impactful an doesn’t do much for the state of Lucio.
Ult shield buff - This change helps a lot when dealing with high damage spikes such as Rip-tire, Shatter or Dragon blade. While it still doesn’t block dragons (only for 2.3 sec) it is a lot stronger and more impactful if timed correctly.
I really like this change cause it rewards timing and makes the ult finally stand out where it should be and differentiates it from Zens Trans.
Chnages I would like to see
- Standart aura range increase reverted to live values - There is no real reason why this buff was needed.
- Standart aura healing per second increase 16.25 -> 18-20 - This change would make Lucio feel more impactful when healing (also maybe my teammates would notice it and not spam “I need healing” all the time) , his E would make greater difference with its +188% healing increase and finally his ult would charge much quicker.
- Keep the Sound Barrier shield increase - This change is perfect in my opinion.
Sound Barrier range increase 30 -> 40 m - His ult with the amount of stuns and possible sniper oneshots in the game is sometimes very difficult tu pull off making you almost hide from the enemy team as Mercy 1.0 did. While doing that however you will be often out of range to few teammates on a lot of maps.
Many people would decrease the time it takes to cast the ult, but I don’t really like this change cause it removes part of the skill and counterplay from the enemy team.
I think all of these changes would make for a more interactive and impactful Lucio gameplay while keeping his difficulty and fun on the same level.
I would like this to be start of a constructive debate. If you have any questions please share them down in the comments.