My issues with Social Politics involving feminism and LGBTs

I was having a discussion with a friend on discord who is incredibly feminist, which I am supportive of, and I went on a little bit of a rant for her to try and understand my way of thinking a little bit. Below is only a slightly edited version of that rant so that I could post it on the forums, but if it doesn’t make sense at some point or goes off topic, that’s why. It wasn’t meant as a forum post, so feel free to ask about it and I’ll try to elaborate.

I don’t claim to be a smart person, so I’m making my thoughts public, because I want to open my mind to the thoughts and opinions of people that oppose my way of thinking.

The reason I share the rant and not just write my thoughts for a post is because, again, I’m stupid and I think in that moment I did the best job at expressing myself and I don’t think I can recreate it, honestly.

My biggest issue with american feminism is that smaller but vocal fraction of feminists that want to be treated equally, but also want special treatment. If women get special treatment, then they’re not equal. Women in this country seem to want more rights and better treatment than men, and don’t stop to think in what ways our social structure men have been affected, because men haven’t necessarily been dealt a fair hand either. There has been certain high expectations and standards for us. Not me specifically, but historically, men had their roles, too, which weren’t always fair.

I’ve also posted in a looooott of LGBT threads on overwatch forums that ask the devs for another gay hero, or a trans, or nonbinary, or what have you. I’ve talked about starwars and battlefield5. I’m totally for having diversity and I’m supportive of all colors of the rainbow, but tokenizing race, gender, sexuality should not take priority in creative works of art with the primary intention of making some kind of political statement, because:

1. it’s labeling, giving special treatment, moves further away from normal and equal by doing so
  2. it turns something that’s supposed to be fun and a magical experience into an uncomfortable conversation
  3. when put as a priority, it really takes away the creativity and inspiration to make a really compelling story or game

A lot of how I feel about asking devs for LGBT heroes translates to, not just feminism specifically, but social politics in general.

Women being in battlefield 5 shouldn’t be a big deal. it shouldn’t be something we have to think about, it should just be an option that should have existed forever. It just should be a natural occurrence and normal. However, EA has gone out of their way to be like “HEY LOOK WE HAVE WOMEN! LOOK WOMEN IT’S FOR YOU! YAY FOR POLITICAL STATEMENTS PLZ GIVE US YOUR MOMEY!”

However, I still think people choosing to boycott the game specifically because there’s women in it are dumb. There are plenty of reasons to boycott EA, and that game specifically, because they set certain expectations about the game and lied about it. I would say it’s ok to boycott the game because it’s influenced by SJWs, but because the game has women is not reason enough and anyone that thinks so is a degenerate

When I was like 8 years younger I was totally on the “screw all men we’re a bunch of jerks” train. But now, I think things in the US have gotten far out of control.

We want to make the government recognize 20+ different genders, we want people to betray their religions and beliefs to cater to LGBT’s. We can’t talk to each other and have conversation because it’s either sexist, racist, or some form of prejudice and any level of understanding each other is cut off at the head.

• Everyone is expected to walk on egg shells all the time.

• everyone is overly sensitive and everyone is wrong but them

• can’t make jokes or the internet will find where you live

• everyone is shouting real loud to censor each other

• asking for more rights, but doesn’t want to stop at “equal”

Everyone wants to have their bootyholes coddled and pampered and no one is allowed to say naughty words ever or they call the police, and it’s spilling over into games, and tv, and films and it’s aggravating me.

I believe SJWs are ruining the country and all the nice things I like, because they don’t know how to chill out and don’t know when to stop.

4 Likes

Honestly, the vocal minority ruins everything it ever touches.

3 Likes

4 Likes

You’re someone I frequently disagree with. I’m putting myself on a platform to get criticized and now is your chance to try and change my mind, instead of posting a sarcastic gif. :confused:

:spider_web: I’m sorry…but the only OW related matter in your OP is you mentioning posting in some threads. Otherwise, I don’t see how this really belongs on this forum.

5 Likes

What was your friend’s response to your thoughts?

It’s a general forum, and representation is a common topic.

Uh… what does this have to do with Overwatch??

1 Like

And you posted this on the OW forums because…

1 Like

:spider_web: “The forums were designed specifically for discussions about Overwatch and related topics. Any topics not related to Overwatch, Battle.net 21, or Blizzard Entertainment are subject to deletion” from the Please Read sticky.

3 Likes

She just said she understood me. That was unsatisfying to me, I feel like she doesn’t feel comfortable disagreeing with me, so I’m here.

If there was ever a thread worthy of MUTING, this is it!

Nah. Overwatch can have all of representation and it still would end up being fine. Battlefield game, that used to be kind of grounded, having cyborg! woman on the frontline in the WW2 with her Norse Rock Band squad is dumb.

Hmm… was kinda hoping for some spice :fire:

Also, i want to comment on this stupidity.

If they chose to make a historically accurate game, this statement is just absurd and stupid. It is a big deal. A GIGANTIC historical inaccuracy.

If they chose to make a alternative reality of WW2, they can do whatever with the game. From my part, it can be a WW2 where aliens are invading earth. It doesn’t matter.

This forum is meant for Overwatch related topics. Maybe go on tumblr or something…?

Hey all,

Threads like these are generally non-constructive, and become a breeding ground for toxicity and negativity, so I’m going to go ahead and lock this one up now.

As always, please keep things civil and according to the Code of Conduct.

Thanks!

5 Likes