My friends quit because of queue times

Cool, so revert Role Queue (3 options/roles is confusing) and have the single Classic game mode.

Competitive and Competitive Classic are clearly different.

You ignored the second point made.

Competitive Classic or a revert are equally still on the cards.

No evidence of this.

See also: Argument from authority - Wikipedia

Specifically, argument from self-authority.

3 Likes

They didn’t fully reject Freedom Q and them keeping QPC is proof of this

There is no universal end goal. Not everyone’s goal is to get a high rank in Comp. Some people’s goal is to just have fun in arcade or QP.

I heartily disagree that 2-2-2 is superior as it has ruined the game for me.

Comp Classic is about retention. It is there to suck up excess DPS players to improve queue times and to give a place where former flexers and other people that prefer Freedom Q can go and get the ranked experience.

You’ve never seen me play Rein so you have no idea how I play him

Those reasons are inconsequential as I have stated

I would think you are referring to me but this does fir what you’ve done in ever discussion we have…

4 Likes

They already rejected Comp Classic once, QP is fine where it is.

Lol, no they’re not, they’re clearly using the same word.

You ignore most of the points i make.

Sure, comp classic IS possible, but it’d be a massive step backwards for the game. 132 is potentially on the cards because it uses most of the improvements from 222.

Well, sure you COULD quote wiki pages at me OR you could ask questions and you’ll find out more what i’m an expert in :wink:

Here’s a page that explains what UX (User eXperience) design is, enjoy :slight_smile:

https://uxdesign.cc/who-is-a-ux-designer-b484855e32b1

That doesn’t address the point that you yourself made. 3 options (roles) is confusing.

“Player” as in Player vs Environment is the same word as in Player vs Player.

Alongside an improved grouping system it would be a huge step forward.

Done, but you refuse to provide evidence.

2 Likes

They rejected QPC as a comp mode, dumped it in arcade and have not touched it since. I consider that rejected.

Yes, other game modes exist and people play them, but the intended end goal that’s part of the main game is comp. You can tell, since its the one with the ratings and the golden guns.

Well, you’re not everyone - 222 is superior for the various measurable and factual reasons i repeatedly stated.

Comp classic would either not be balanced or would be confusing, we’ve been through this. You wanna suck up the spare DPS? Campaign for the devs to make QPC more prominent on the UI.

I said probably and since you seem so enthralled with DPS, that’s what i’m going with.

Just because you said dinks are inconsequential doesnt mean that’s actually true. You didnt back up your point with any logic at all. Dinks are important because they’re a sound that’s neurologically bound to the feeling of success, much like Pavlov’s dogs.

Hahaha, and you tried to counter my last point with a “no you”.

Lol.

Listen genius, people paid for a product. Access to that product is being artificially constrained by Blizzard. Tracer and Genji are advertised heavily to draw in players. If anything you probably should just not post such ridiculous statements. It really leaves no doubt about certain capabilities.

7 Likes

3 buttons in a single straight forward menu far simpler than several stacked menus leading to various parts of the game.

Correct, those PVP vs PVE are very descriptive as to their differences. It’ll also have a separate front end menu, i’d imagine. One with Overwatch 2 written on it.
PVP comp vs PVP comp in a cluttered UI is not as clear.

Improved grouping would do nothing, we already had that argument. You failed to answer the question “why would anyone bother using LFG? They dont now”

You’ve never asked me a single question on UX design. Please do. I’m more than willing to establish my authority through testing :wink:

So when you press the comp button and every single time you do, you have to wait… …but you know other buttons are instant… …who’s the genius?

Why would you play a role and/or hero that you don’t want to play? Just because it’s instant? Then it’s better to just find another game to play.

7 Likes

Those are also options.

The menus need not be stacked any more than they are now.

Not any more than Competitive vs Competitive Classic.

Because it would be improved.

Which UXs have you designed for which games?

Not if Blizzard want to retain players.

4 Likes

Speaking as a solo-queue-QP-healer (Mercy) main, my observation is this…

There were/are more people in OW wanting to play DPS than tank or support.

Blizzard responded by creating tank and support characters that had a strong DPS aspect to their game-play in an attempt to draw some DPS into those rolls.

The DPS players found these new tanks and supports could be played almost solely as DPS characters and did so in many instances, which brought about a brand new set of problems.

222 came about in an attempt to fix the above issues and try to enforce some form of stability into group formations, but did so at the cost of long DPS queue times, because the player base’s desire to play DPS, and DPS only, never changed. (example. my queue time as support is 30 seconds to 2 minutes on average in QP. DPS are not even remotely so “lucky”.)

132 was tried in an attempt to fix 222’s DPS queue problem, but came with a whole new set of issues (example: 1 player had the power to throw the whole match, with no ability for anyone else on the team to compensate).

No joy.

Blizzard has a hard choice to make if they want their game to survive.

Either allow people to play what they desire, no matter how crazy the team-comps are (to bring the queue times down). Upsetting those that hated healing 1-5 teams (I loved it (healing it solo) BTW…always interesting, with some outrageously fun unexpected games).

Or tune up the DPS portion of their game, toning down the tanking and healing aspects so those abilities are spread around the roster more, instead of more focused into supports. (Not my kind of thing, but I could see how the DPS side of things might dig it.)

OR make tanks and supports more interesting to play to those DPS. Not by adding DPS to them, but by giving them “strong” abilities that can’t be had in the DPS category, that are as involving to play as DPS. (sorry so vague here, game design isn’t in my wheelhouse.)

OR replace ROLL-QUEUE with GAME-QUEUE and have the entire game be like an arcade, where all modes are treated equally (It’s almost there now, but the focus is mainly on COMP and QP, with everything else being a sideshow. I’m talking about removing the separation completely between all the modes, removing the rotations, allowing time played to be accrued in all modes, achievements to be had, Stats to be collected, etc etc.) Then people can play what they want, how they want, DPS or otherwise. (The player base might get spread too thin, but the queue times would more reflect the popularity of that game mode, over the popularity of the role. If you had to wait a while for say “Total Mayhem” (LOVE that mode) then you’d at least know why and feel better about it.)

Right now OW is in some odd limbo land, where none of their main modes feel correct, and they keep tripping up trying to “fix” them.

2 Likes

Both 4-1-1 and 3-2-1 have been tested and neither worked.

The fact is the game is built around three roles. Not one. Support, dps and tank.

If the majority want to play DPS then they will have to wait in line like everyone else.

And here I thought 2019 was the year of impatience. Scratch that. 2019 was the year of taking offence. I guess 2020 is going to be the year of impatience.

The example you showed was more stacked.
Yes, more than competitive and competitive classic. “Classic? What’s a classic and why should i care?”
“because it would be improved” doesnt answer my question. Why would i bother using an improved LFG?
You dont get personal information, ask questions about my expertise.

I’m the same 5-8 min if I want dps or 2 min for tank and heals … I mean this is pretty good

It’s hard to duo with my boyfriend because queue times can be really mean to us :grin:

When you say, “stacked” I assume you mean having to go through more menus to get to the desired button.

Competitive Classic and Quick Play Classic can be side-by-side the Role Queue versions without further menu stacking.

“Environment? What’s an environment and why should I care?”

Can’t speak for you personally. Why would players bother to use an improved LFG? Because it would resolve the chief complaint within the community that was poor team compositions.

Then you don’t get any claim to authority.

I have yet to see any expertise, just opinions without evidence and even some self-contradictory opinions i.e. multiple options being confusing yet having no issue with 3 options.

2 Likes

Everything you said is wrong.

1. Wrong. The mode for 3-2-1 has overwhelmingly positive feedback. And when 4-1-1 has not been explicitly tested, but in 3-2-1 most teams picked Roadhog as the tank. And with Moira a guaranteed pick in that mode, basically WAS 1-4-1. More like 0-5-1 since Moira and Hog are on par with DPS.

2. Wrong. The game is not built around three roles. It’s built around the DPS role. Damage is so high that hiding and healing are nowhere near as valuable as killing the enemy. All tanks and support (except mercy) have strong offensive capabilities. Everything is damage damage damage.

3. Wrong. If the majority of players want to play DPS, then basic game design dictates that the designer support that. They shouldn’t have to wait.

3 Likes

Ah, so instead of stacking, you want to clutter a single menu. Not clever. Ideally you want to keep those menus clean. Would you put QPC in there too?

Actually, they’ll probably call it cooperative or something like that. Classic could mean unlimited (the actual classic game mode).

I’m never talking about me. You didnt answer the question - people didnt use LFG before, why would they use it now, even if it was improved? How would it be improved to make people actually use it? How would you balance things for people who dont use it?

I can claim authority if i have expertise - you should probably ask about that :slight_smile:

Ok, cool, you actually asked a relevant question, well done!

How is having multiple buttons in a single mode different to having multiple modes?

The 3 buttons of role select are the only way forward through the UI. They give you 3 distinct, clear options with little room for failure. You dont have to explain much.

Having 2 modes that do very similar things within a larger UI can be confusing - if they’re labled/named similarly but their function is dramatically different, with vastly different rulesets (rulesets includes how heroes work) then there’s more to communicate and explain. The more you have to communicate, the more bored players get and the more likely they are to just do something else. Important modes like Competitive need to be very clearly explained too, to avoid confusion. QPC currently doesnt need an explanation, its an arcade mode. Comp doesn’t need much explanation either - “compete against other players and work your way up the ranks” is a pretty clear deal. Adding something to compare to and your messaging needs to get more complex.

Now, if you threw comp classic together with QPC (because they’re similar modes) you’d need to bury it another level down. That would make it hidden, and would make players feel its less important. That would upset players (like you) who enjoy it.

Especially with how stale Overwatch can get at times, the added queue times just further deter people from loading up the game. My battle.net friends list is empty these days.

I feel like no matter what, Overwatch will still have its core audience (much like WoW). But like WoW, it’s nowhere near as enjoyable as it once was

5 Likes