My fps has gone down alot...?

For a little while my game has been running at way lower fps than normal.
I used to be able to hit a consistant 300fps but now it drops to around 150 and lower sometimes.
Of course 150 fps isn’t really bad but going down in fps that much is just weird.

My PC specs are:
GPU: GTX 1080
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Ram: 16gb
Game is running on an SSD.

I run my game at Low settings, 100% renderscale

• My drivers are up to date.
  • I’ve been through my Nvidia controlpanel
  • I’ve reinstalled the game and repaired

Does anyone know what the heck could be going wrong?

1 Like

For how long has this been going?

It could be one or more background programs running:

• Antivirus doing scans or updates
  • Windows update busy. Sometimes it happens that it gets stuck, but still eats up ram.
  • Some other program trying to start up, but can’t for some reason (faulty update or prevented by antivirus). As it keeps trying to start up over and over, it can also interfere with performance.

I’d say it started about two months ago

• Anti-virus not doing anything
  • Forgot to mention I’ve also checked for windows update and its not that either
  • I don’t know about that but I frequently make sure that anything that doesn’t need to run is running or starting

Then I don’t know. Might be some optimization issue with the game, but I don’t know how to fix that. :man_shrugging:

Have you tried turn off BNet?
It may help a bit.

Well, thanks for trying anyways :smiley:

1 Like

These standard tips can help resolve most Overwatch FPS drops:

• If you own any Razer branded devices, try making sure you have updated and installed Razer Synapse 3, older versions are known to cause performance issues including FPS drops.
  • Reset Overwatch’s Video Settings
  • Update your graphic card driver.
  • Reset your graphic card driver settings., then make sure that your Graphic Card Driver control panel is configured correctly for Overwatch. This includes setting Overwatch at Maximum Performance (not optimal power) for Power Management and making sure it set to run on the graphics card and not the motherboard chipset.
  • In drastic cases you may need to reinstall the driver and update to the most recent driver for your card. Remember to use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely clean out your old driver. Then download the most recent NVidia or AMD for your system.
  • There have been other threads reporting that updating your system BIOS can help with some performance issues with recent patches. Please be careful if you choose to update your BIOS and look up your motherboard’s instructions on how to do this.

Also here are advanced tips I have written in Overwatch’s Tech Support forum that maximize your FPS performance in the game.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Same issue. Not sure if we have the same problem, but my solution is to go into video settings and turn “Reduce buffering” to off, apply, and then turn it back on and apply again.

I have to do this if I Alt-Tab a lot

Do you mean close the launcher when I play?
Because if so then I already do that

Yeah that.
So it is not Bnet then.

If push comes to shove, you could always try formatting your drive and reinstalling your os. I actually did that a couple months back and my computer has been running considerably more smooth ever since. Just be sure to back up your files to an external drive beforehand if you do.