Mtchmaking is still rigged

Ive said this before and ill say it again the whole problem with matchmaker is that it uses an ELO rating system which is designed for 1 on 1 not team vs team. they start you off too high so you get matched with inexperienced players filtering down the system which makes it frustrating for the player thats been playing a while to have a new player that got lucky, I know this first hand my brother started playing got placed in mid gold when he was first eligible and fell to low bronze very fast. All those games he was a weak link in the team but being paired with gold level players

4 Likes

I had that sh it twiceā€¦ canā€™t really get out of where I am because of that.
The system expect me to improve by a huge lot in a second to be able to go a little up.

This is a damn curse for all gold players.

2 Likes

After a win streak, today I got 3 games in a row when we couldnā€™t even get the first point in attack and got steamrolled in 30 seconds in defense. Those games were clearly decided before they even started.

EDIT: Ahahah 4th loss in a row. Junkertown on attack. We moved the payload to the first small bridge. I got 5 gold medals as hog. Left the game right after the round, not even gonna play on defense.
Fu,ck you blizzard. I quit.

3 Likes

Same here. This happens too often and to too many people.

3 Likes

youā€™re actually insane to believe this.

I genuinely appreciate this post, as Iā€™ve digested it and applied it to my play. Iā€™ve got hundreds of hours of Support play, and sometimes when Iā€™m playing Tank I hang around as if I were a Support instead of pushing the frontline. The specific example I had in mind was a soldier during a low platinum Numbani match who literally sprinted out the front door and died within the first 20 seconds of the match, and continued to sprint to his death the entire game. I havenā€™t met many players like that as Iā€™ve moved further into Platinum, and those who do bum rush usually bring something else to the table too like Ultimate Combos or reliably superior positioning to assist their tactics.

I donā€™t play Reinhardt; Iā€™m terrible with him. As Orisa Iā€™m more successful when I make deliberate forward movements and set up on good ground as soon as I can, ignoring any initial casualties until I can assess the current situation.

Iā€™ve noticed that I do have less success when Iā€™m waiting for an opportunity to present itself, and the simple solution is to simply force an opportunity for my team by applying Bullet Hell style pressure. Dropping the Supercharger as the signal that ā€œitā€™s go time!ā€ has had pretty good results as well. Itā€™s sometimes tricky swapping from the static defender style to the aggressive, deliberate, slow push on Attack, but Control maps have helped me find a balance.

Recording games helps tons.

1 Like

Exactly. This isnā€™t the first topic about this issue, and certainly wonā€™t be the last. Itā€™s pretty clear thereā€™s a problem in the way matchmaking works, and I think a good part of it is deliberate.

1 Like

the season 10 tries to want to have below 45% winratio
you vs smurfs/boosters

2 Likes

How can everyone have a 45% win rate? For every loss, another player earns a win. Itā€™s not possible for everyone to lose more than they win.

That is not what the system does.
Its more like : ā€œThis guy has won the last 6 games weā€™ve put him in. Maybe heā€™s better than we were thinking. Letā€™s try putting him in a team where he needs to solo carry so we can make a balanced game.ā€

And if that guy cannot solo carry. As most of us cannot - since we are not top500 players, we endup in the losing strikes.
The system wants us to carry the whole team and keeps on trying to do so until i figures out that a healer is not a carry so better place you with a team that is balanced and you get in a wining streak again ( because you actually try hard )

2 Likes

Or the game doesnā€™t know what to do with you. Due to a odd play style. Because comp sure didnā€™t know what to do with me. I was able to hover in the same 1500-1600SR range. By just playing in Silver and Plat games.

I literately just did this: Decayed from S1 Plat to Silver. Over 4 season placement games. Stayed in Silver. Q with my plat friend. Got 1600SR in 4-6 games. Lose like 6 games. Due to me VSing 2600SR plats. Drop to 1400SR. Beat 4 Silver games in a row. Go right back to 1500. Q back up with plat friend. Win to 1600SR. Repeat. Got my gold gun, quit. I kept messing up my MMR. Too good to be in those 3 lower tiers. Not good enough to beat 2600 plats. Ping pong up and down.

1 Like

Reading through all these comments I am noticing a theme here. First I will preface by saying yes, you can have plebs on your team. But the chance you have plebs is 50%, because the other team is going to get them. Maybe you get them over 6 games, then the enemy gets them over the next 6. In any rate, those statistics should be balanced and not higher for you. Youā€™ll just notice more on your team.

That said, no one seems to be mentioned an important point. I see lots of ā€œI have all golds, Iā€™m the best dps, etcā€¦ā€ but what you fail to understand (or not take into your equation) is that youā€™re not focus firing with your team. If you pick off the enemy back line by yourself successfully, then enemy team is focus firing on your team mates, and clearing them quicker than you are. When people play double snipes, or snipe/flanker, your front line is now 4 people, with 1 -2 being heals. Meaning, 2 tanks, 2 heals, fighting off an entire team by themselves.

I saw a guy talk about being soldier and doing well. Thatā€™s great, you swing your team advantage, but a zaria and hanzo together can clear your entire team while youā€™re picking on 2 players. Working ults together to take spots, push the payload, or win team fights also matters.

There is so much more to the game than what is shown with the 5 medals you can get.

I played with the new team finder, and we were doing amazing, then we lost two players, and replaced them. Those two players were very good at their role, but absolutely provided 0 team support. Sure they got picks, but they were not working well with our team. We lost a few with the 2 replacements. It was very clear to see why. ā€œIā€™m D.Va, Iā€™m going to go flank their back lineā€ then goes off, doesnā€™t have heals, gets out of mech, then wonders why he wasnā€™t getting healed.

In any rate, well MMR / SR play a role, I find most of my losses are 75% due to team comp, team play style, and communication. Sometimes I lose to an amazing smurf, but itā€™s obvious and we focus that one player first, every time.

Seeā€¦if that was it, I donā€™t think Iā€™d have a problem with it. My problem is with folksā€™ team comp skills. If someone plays a so so mercy or Lucio, and switches to Moira or Brigette or whatever, ok fine, I can live with that. What I canā€™t live with are 3 morons who all think they should play DPS, canā€™t play it, and NEVER SWITCH. You can make up for a teammate with slightly lower skills, itā€™s much harder to make up for a poor team comp.

1 Like

Gold medals may not say much about you, but when you got gold healing as hog that says a lot about your team.

2 Likes

Itā€™s def the season of bad DPS. Itā€™s non stop, almost every game. I think that has a lot to do with people coming back for the first time, because I keep hearing guys ask what the different changes are.

Has anyone ever stopped to think its psychological?

Think about itā€¦ you were on a win streak, then you get placed on a team that didnā€™t click. Now you are frustrated, this frustration leads to poor choices which then in turn makes people on your team to get frustratedā€¦ and so on.

But sure itā€™s way easier to blame Blizzard than yourself.

2 Likes

See this is how I feel as well. I shouldnā€™t have to solo carry a worse team to move upwards in ranked in a team game. My recommendation is finding a good team in LFG and making friends.

1 Like

i think the new LFG feature has a lot to do with all the trash in soloqueueā€¦

all the people wanting to climb do LFG, then that leaves all the trash people that dont care at allā€¦ been losing for days in solo

So many team comp/silence losses. 2-4 last night because almost no one wants to heal or tank. And in other games no one in voice chat. It doesnā€™t feel like a loss, it feels like a waste of time, and thatā€™s garbage.

2 Likes