Mtchmaking is still rigged

It certainly will. I can’t wait for it. Once it’s out, I’ll have nothing to blame but myself. It’ll be so much easier to determine what mistakes caused a loss in my game recordings.

You make some great points btw.

1 Like

Its not just winning that causes losing streaks. If you get reported, you get matched with other highly reported players on your team as a punishment probably for about 10-20 games. Similar to the 75% exp downgrade you get for leaving QP games before game over.

Be nice. Be supportive. You’ll get more,cooperative teammates more consistently. Or just don’t join voice and play your best. Promise you.

The fundamental issue with the matchmaker is that of the fact it generates teams based on a probability calculation.

The MM seeks to build a team with 50% chance of winning against another team with equal odds.

Blizzard have openly told us this but very few people understood what was being said.

let’s assume we have a player with >50% winrate, this means they stand a higher than average chance of winning. The enemy team will also have someone similar, but now it needs to build out the team, so the other roles are filled with players where the probability of winning AVERAGES 50%.

This means you will get donkeys, you will get intentional throwers, you will get one or two high flyers.
The average gets you to 50%.

This issue comes when one of your high flyers is a mercy main and the enemy team high flyer is a widow main.
Statistically the chance of winning is no longer 50%.

3 Likes

except it doesn’t work this way because you’re assuming the matchmaker uses anything other than MMR to match players. All 12 players have very close MMR and are distributed effectively randomly. THIS is what makes it 50%.

I’m not assuming anything, nor did I mention MMR or SR.

Blizzard openly told us a long time ago that the system builds teams with 50% chance of winning.

We know they use MMR to group players, they also openly told us that, but that’s got nothing to do with my point.
The teams are NOT randomly put together within the MMR range. MMR is simply used as a high level grouping mechanism, probability calculation is then used to build the actual teams.

3 Likes

And all the evidence suggests probability calculation is still put together with MMR. It doesn’t make sense to do it any other way.

That, is a rigged matchmaker.

4 Likes

No point debating with you, you clearly have little understanding of what Blizzard have openly told us.

You’re clearly one of those that would rather believe it’s rigged.

It’s not rigged, it’s just bad.

1 Like

Literally happens to my alt account 24/7.

Just losing on 2.5 due people who are (as it looks like at least) really trying as hard as they can to lose the game. Logging back on my 2.9 sr account and getting proper games. I just feel like i get way less thrower on my main account. might be just me but that happened way too often to be coinsidence tbh.

1 Like

Thats not rigged. That is just the nature of a team based game. The more teammates you have the less you control the outcome. Hence ranking up requires consistent play so you can take advantage off opportunities when they arrive.

Its all blizzards fault your not top 500 right?

It’s their fault when the game community has gotten so toxic that around 1/3 of my games are including throwers and leavers this season.
Sure, that applies to the enemy as well. But then it’s pretty much a coin flip as to who wins.
I don’t want a game where 80% of the games are predetermined wins or losses and my play only really matters in 20% of them.

The main problem here is that you won’t learn anything from these steamroll games. Neither if you or the enemy team gets steamrolled. Id love to have more close games where everyone is trying to actually win the game so you can actually improve instead of having every 2nd game a total steamroll where your personal skill doesnt matter. Sure 1/3 of your games are prob the ones you CAN carry and these games makes it possible for people to climb but thats still not a good quote.

1 Like

Its not throwers or leavers necessarily. There is 27 heros and 6 players odds are your not going to get meta every game on top of that maybe the other team is slightly better than your team and even if you are popping off there could be someone on the otherside dòng the same. There is just a ton of variables.

When it comes down to it the good players will rise over time because they can consistently capitalize on the opportunities given.

Everyone has a spread skill wise in relation to their SR maybe your spread right now peaks at 2300 and bottoms at 1600. Maybe its higher thaat doesnt mean the match maker is rigged or bad teammates are the sole reason for you being where you are

1 Like

I agree with everything that you’ve said.

But this season I’m not losing games because my team is off meta. Heck, I’ve won games where our only support was Sym. I’ve seen plenty of games where 6 dps has wrecked face.

I’m talking about deliberate and malicious throwing in circa 30% of my games this season.

3 stack of throwers doing nothing for 90% of game. One had dropped 800 Sr in 4 days.
Rein trying to 1v6 enemy at their spawn. Spent rest of game constantly yolo charging in feeding enemy Ults. Enemy Hanzo had 5 Ults in 5 minutes.
Ana that never healed and just dpsed all game. Changed to Lucio and Moira in game. Still tried to only dps.
Widow with 38% win rate didn’t swap off when not getting kills vs. Barrier comp. They had 60%+ win rates with several other dps more appropriate to barrier busting. When I pointed this out Widow player just emote “hello” on comms. Son of a bttch just didn’t care.

Maybe they weren’t throwing but were just utterly incompetent. Which then begs the question why they’re not at 500 SR.

Whether malice or ineptitude, result is the same. I’m getting utter f king donkeys on my team and I’m fed up with it.

And so are a lot of other people that I know that refuse to play comp anymore.

All Blizzard have told you is that they balance teams to have an equal winrate of about 50%. Blizzard have said NOTHING about what method they use to form teams. So using the Principle of Charity we can conclude the most likely answer is that teams are formed by closeness of MMR. Which is exactly what we observe in the matchmaker after accounting for salt and confirmation bias.

How can the dev say each team has a 50 percent chance to win if the teams aren’t arranged by the matchmaker?

That is not what they said. They shoot for an even chance of winning, NOT a 50% win rate. Those are two different things.

What other odds are equal and add up to 100%?
EDIT: Oops, I meant 50% chance of winning not winrate. My bad.

By using MMR. That’s the point of MMR. To gauge skill.

You seemingly have no concept of basic mathematics, let alone statistics.
You also fail to read and understand what Blizzard have openly said, fitting what they’ve said to your own thoughts.

They have not ever said “winrate”, they said chance to win. This is completely different.

The teams are indeed balanced based on the probability of 50% chance of winning. The teams are not simply random based on MMR.
MMR is simply the high level filter for potential players.

There are other attributes also considered, such as ping, for example.

It’s not as simple as you think, nor is it random.

That’s my whole point.
The system is not rigged, but by virtue of how it generates teams, it unfortunately means high flyers within an MMR range are forced into team with people who are not performing so well, this is how it achieves 50% chance of winning.

If the whole team was high flyers, they would have a certain chance of winning, so they stuff donkeys into the teams to bring the average down.

1 Like