Mtchmaking is still rigged

Stat padding vs. Getting on the objective.

Overwatch is more than getting gold medals…

It’s honestly understanding how the game works. Paying attention to your teams position and ultimately economy. Paying attention to the enemy teams position and ultimate economy.

Can’t just pick soldier, stand behind rein holding good ole’ mouse 1, getting ZERO kills, laying into the EASY targets like tanks, which just feeds the enemy supports ultimate charge… medals are SOOOOOOOOO MISLEADING!!! Stop tracking medals and start tracking your teams ults to see what you can combo and you’ll do better. Ignore medals! They are silly! At higher ranks mentioning medals is only a thing when your supports are doing the most damage. That means there is something wrong.

2 Likes

To be fair though, would you concede that a GM Tracer is going to have an easier time climbing from bronze than a GM Mercy?

Agreed that they should both get there eventually, but I’d expect the Mercy to take a lot longer.

I’m just hoping that lfg makes matches actually fun again, win or lose…

Had some cracking qp games in 6 stack last night. One game we got wrecked on Gibraltar. I think that gold was 3 kills. They were a lot better than us.

We faced them again and were spawn camped for most of the game. But then the magic happened, we ground out first point, sailed through point 2. Had trouble with point 3, but just took it in overtime. Lots of hero swapping, grouping up, planning Ults, etc. Proper Overwatch.

My team SR was from 1400 to 1900. Enemy team had a 2300 Soldier with tac visor every 30 seconds, and a level 28 Widow smurf (or has played lots of CSGo) that was turning the kill feed red and had 52% kp.

We then managed to full hold vs. Them on Hanamura. We also narrowly lost to them on Hollywood attack (1 metre left to end).

Made me realise that teamwork is so vital. A team of casuals, all in comms, managed to beat a 6 stack several hundred Sr higher than them. Also made me realise that SR means less than one might think.

I’m hopeful that lfg may lead to proper games like that in comp as well.

1 Like

Yep, a GM tracer would have an easier time climbing but the GM mercy wouldn’t be playing mercy down in bronze. The GM mercy would more than likely be able to hard carry as a dps in lower ranks. When their mmr starts to get closer to being correct, they may have to switch to something they are more comfortable with.
But that wouldn’t be a problem until diamond and higher.

People underestimate other people in this game… believe it or not, there are people out there far better than you are.

Don’t let that fact get you down. If you’re serious about climbing, do the research. Put in the time. Practice your butt off! Unfortunately some of us don’t have that kind of time to invest into a video game.

2 Likes

I know that there’s people better than me in the game. It’s demonstrated to me when I get wrecked by a 2.7k Tracer, or I go up against a diamond 4 stack. Or a Master McCree or a master Pharmercy duo wrecks my team in quick play.

But when the enemy Pharah is grounded 80% of the time and I kill her more as Moira than my dps do, and it’s essentially a 4v8 as 2 of my team do nothing but feed all game, and we still nearly win as opposition utterly terrible…

Then I’m not losing to better players. I’m being gifted with idiots/ throwers to drag me down. I’d rather 6 stack with my bronze and silver chums than get thrower after thrower at supposed gold Sr in comp.

1 Like

Since I switched mains im on a nice winning streak. Went from 1400 to 1600 in a week. Its been fun this season for me unlike last season when I went 1650 to 1450.

What about if I’m doing great while tanking and my stats are high, but there’s only 2 people in voice chat because the other *(***wits didn’t get into team chat, resulting in the team running around like idiots.

You literally cannot be an effective tank without either communication or your team being smart enough to follow up.

Gold players on my platform don’t know what the hell they’re doing, and Platinum is full of people abusing the matchmaker and smurfs trying to boost their friends into Master

1 Like

Why do you think that?

…Because medals only compare your stats to your immediate teammates; not every other player of his rank. Pretty sure this has been addressed.

Because your teammates are better and you don’t have to play around them as much. If you solo queue at your rank, you have to adapt to your teammates as much as you do the enemy. Also, did you just ask why you have an easier time winning when you’re grouped up with better players?

Don’t go on Overbuff expecting a more accurate representation of your skill than the game gives you. Overbuff has their own way of determining performance, and they aren’t comparing you to everyone else at your rank.

I don’t care what your stats are. What happens in a match isn’t purely about stats. Pick a hero you win on.

A handful of example games are not representative of your overall performance for the season. One loss is not automatically your fault. A losing season is.

1 Like

no matter what people here say, i find this to be very evident. I honestly find the ranking system all together to be very retarded. Im able to compete against platinum, diamond, and even masters, yet im automatically placed in silver and bronze. Another thing, is you win ONCE match, you go up so little, yet you LOOSE one match, and u completely derank. Like its horribly unbalanced. and its upsetting, not going to lie.

6 Likes

Masteroverwatch is a better source of stats per hero as it measures metrics per minute.

Overbuff measures by game, and as so many of my games were 3-0 stomps (Either way), was under reporting my stats.

Interestingly my Moira metrics were rubbish, whilst my Lucio ones were in the top 20% for my SR. And my Lucio win rate is a lot better than my Moira one. Although I play Moira more and get more throwers in those games, so might skew the figures…

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/psn/global/Pie_Eater_Gaz/heroes/3

I had three times more wins than losses. I had about 30 more wins than losses. Now after the losing streak I have 40 more losses than wins. Matches are unwinnable. Enemy team is easy for me but my team can’t deal with them.

I did 38,000 damage, 60 Elims, 30 Obj kills, and was onfire for 11 minutes as DPS and had four Gold. We lost 6 vs 5 because the rest of my team did nothing but stand around or die over and over.

If I can’t win a 6 vs 5 with those stats then how am I supposed to win with anything less especially if the enemy has a full team?

This is not losses from a few matches. I am talking about 40 losses! Dropping down from high plat (2700 - 2900) which is the rank I have held for the last few Seasons to low Gold 2100 this Season.

If I lose a match I only lose 5 - 15 SR at the most but if I win a match I usually get 30 - 40 SR at the most. The problem is winning. Most of the matches are a loss even when I perform as described above. I have carried as tank and lost, carried as DPS and lost, carried as Support and lost.

Winning is not random. Players win when they played bad (got carried and won). Players lose when they played exceptionally well (carried but still lost).

The matchmaker has decided before the match starts your chances of wining or losing based on hidden data. The problem is when the matchmaker puts you into a sequence of matches one after the other where you are on the team with the disadvantage.

Bottom line…

The Matchmaker needs serious improvement to make the matches fair and give significant SR reward (50+) to players who are on-fire most of the match and carry hard as well as lose hardly any SR for the loss (5 SR) in the same scenario if they carried hard but still lost.

6 Likes

Used to think this way to, but then I finally broke through the “crust” and in to Masters, a lot less streaky the higher you go from my experience. i think this ultimately attributes to the consistency in player performance improving. One of the biggest variables that keeps players in whatever tier they are in is how consistently they can play at that level.

That being said, there are still some scenarios that I get thrown in to by the matchmaker that leave me scratching my head. Yesterday I had dipped below master by one game, was at like 3487 or something, and got thrown together with 5 other solo queue diamond players. Our enemy team consisted of a duo queue of high diamond and a 4 stack with 3 masters and a diamond. Albeit a one-off situation, this was a moral crushing game from the get go. It was extremely hard to shake the defeatist mentality from the large advantage the enemy team had at the start of the game.

3 Likes

Newsflash: this is not a 1v1 game!

1 Like

Good thing that isn’t what I said. I said, “if you play better than the average person at your rank, you’ll win more games than you lose, and climb.”

As in, if you play Rein, and you play better than the average Rein of your rank, you’ll win more games than you lose, and climb. I climb in solo queue as a Rein/Zen main. Obviously I don’t care much about 1v1 potential.

But you completely disregard the fact that there are 5 other people on your team?

You can be a good Rein, you van even be the best Rein ever,
but that means nothing when the rest of your team spreads out
not helping you with the enemy that focus you.

Improve all you want but unless you get the other 5 on the same page, you wasted your time

5 Likes

I actually think we’re all agreeing here. When people say the matchmaker is “rigged” they don’t really mean that it’s malicious, but rather that the matchmaker specifically does something which creates matches which more difficult to win than they should be, check out this example:

Example: I spend almost all my time in Mid Diamond, but if I am on another account that is say, 2500, and win 6-8 matches in a row then I will be placed in extremely difficult to win matches. If I continue this cycle for long enough I’ll eventually, slowly, painfully, rank up. It shouldn’t be like this.

It boils down to one thing: The matchmaker prioritizes creating fair matches over allowing people to get to the correct rank.

5 Likes

No. I’ve never said anything remotely close to, “get good enough to hard-carry yourself out.” That’s not realistic for the average player. What I have said is get good on heroes that can make your team around you better, and adapt to your teammates. That’s why I chose Rein and Zen.

Being a good Rein means creating space for your teammates, protecting them, and communicating with them. You don’t need to have teammates who follow your every order every single game to play effectively as Rein, and make your team better. If you create space without throwing your life away, you’re giving your DPS more opportunities to do damage and your support a better chance to survive. That is playing Rein well.

Again, no. This is part of the reason people in lower elo struggle to climb. Skill in Overwatch is not just being able to get eliminations. Skill in Overwatch, particularly if you solo queue like I do, involves learning the maps, learning the abilities of heroes, learning positioning, adapting to your teammates, etc. You’re going to get good teammates who work together, and you’re going to get bad teammates who do not. If you cannot adapt to each team you get put on, then you’re lacking in an important area of Overwatch that makes climbing much easier.

This is not true. The only way the matchmaker attempts to get fair matches is by placing you against people of similar skill. If you’re climbing, then you’re going to get tougher opponents, making games harder to win.

The matchmaker does absolutely nothing to kill win streaks aside from simply putting you against tougher opponents the higher you climb, which is what any matchmaker does.

Never happened here.

It should do that. It doesn’t though…

My last comp game until lfg live: played at 2k Sr. Enemy Pharah was grounded about 70% of the time. Blatantly didn’t know how to use the rocket pack properly. Not even silver skill with Pharah, IMO. I managed to kill her 3 times with Moira. That Pharah did not belong at gold, IMO.

But that Pharah still won. Why? The Dva and Rein on my team blatantly fed and threw all game. It was essentially a 4v8, and the enemy team was so bad that we still nearly won the game.

I’m not losing vs. Better players in comp. I’m losing vs. Worse players as I am getting shocking team mates thanks to “balanced” matchmaking.

I’ve lost vs. Better players lots in quick play. Plats, diamonds. Even the occasional master. These last games in comp I am not losing vs. Better players.

Until I can reliably 6 stack in comp this mode is a waste of my time.

(even 5 stack is risky. Played 5 stack qp last weekend and had a dip shtt Moira dps all game and heal less than our Lucio and Hog.).

2 Likes