Most Forgettable Cinematic?

:thinking: it seems pretty implied him and Ashe were pretty important. Again, it’s still an error on the storyteller’s part that it’s this stupidly ambiguous.

D.Va’s was literally fine outside of it not connecting her to the main plot. Idk why people hold it at the standard they don’t hold other cinematics at. It does more than mei’s, that’s for dang sure.
They just can’t fit much more into their time constraints and the stereotypes they’ve boxed their characters into

Oops, forgot the last bastion existed.
While an emotional connection is important to the quality of a piece, too, it goes unacknowledged a lot of the time that mei’s did… Basically nothing.

Anything with Winston in it is memorable.

I thought we already sorta knew that, too. Idk it’s been a while.

Honestly, probably Soldier’s. Mei’s is definitely my least favorite, but I actually legit forget the Soldier one exists all the time. XP

I think all of them are pretty well done, though. Like I don’t consider any of them “bad.”

I think they both are AI with Wrecking Ball but not on a level of an omnic. They both have free will (Like WB choosing not to translate what Hammond wants to say or just saying something on his own) but not on the level of an omnic.

Snowball is a drone, so it’s probably somewhere around bastion. Who is also a drone, not an omnic

Hanzo/Genji’s or maybe Reinhardt’s.

I wish they’d do one with Pharah & Ana but the Overwatch Anthology Vol. 1 did a pretty dope job of showing their backstory.

I see a lot of people saying D.Va’s but I actually really liked hers.

1 Like

Probably the login screen. Gets me every time.

I don’t think D.VA has had less space than many other courts. however, she is a beloved character.

the most forgotten video is that of Tracer Origin! it wasn’t nenache translated into other languages … and it’s a shame, there are a lot of main tracers that I don’t even know of its existence!

1 Like

Honor and Glory has everything that makes an OW cinematic good.

It’s got great action, features fantastic, larger than life characters and it fleshes out the world, making the Omnic Crisis feel like far more of a threat than simply something that happened in the games backstory. It also fleshes out Reinhardt’s mechanics a bit more since the story shows exactly how a largely melee character is relevant in a world where combat is almost exclusively ranged.

It also features one of the best (IMO at least) characters, and shows a pivotal moment in his backstory, where he changes from a glory seeking braggart to a man who actually sees the honor in fulfilling his duty.

“I have been called. I must answer. Always.”

Sends shivers down my spine.

To me, Sombra’s and Tracer’s (when Mondatta dies) are the best in terms of realization and story.

I don’t feel like any of them is “forgettable” but I feel like there were less efforts made on the most recent ones.

Bastion’s cinematic is very beautiful but can be considered as forgettable if we’re really bothered about cinematics having dialogues.

Dva’s cinematic is often criticized but it’s actually quite good in my opinion. People didn’t like it because Dva doesn’t seem to be related to the main plot with Overwatch and Talon. She’ll be more interesting when we get to understand her role in the conflict (someday).

1 Like

I think they hate it because of residual bitterness of D.Va eating their ults

1 Like

Many people cite their own personal forgettable cinematics, but since no one as listed the following ‘inconspicuous’ video, I think we can officially declare it to be the most forgettable OW cinematic in this thread. Who is it? It’s!..

…JUNKRAT AND ROADHOG!!!
BOW CHICA BOW DA BOW WOW WOW

OMG, I completely forgot about this one… Just after I stated “none of them is forgettable” haha… #Owned

Well, Junkrat’s cinematic is more like a fun cinematic to watch but I’m sure a lot of people haven’t forgotten it existed ^^ ! I remember liking the humour in this cinematic a lot actually.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I find the Genji/Hanzo duel a sleeper… its just the same old tired Anime fight stuff…

1 Like

That one’s literally so good tbh. It’s funny and helped establish a lot of junkertown before it came out

The problem with Dva’s cinematic is that it didn’t really show anything. The only really relevant realization was that Dva’s personality was just an act, purely for propaganda.

Dva didn’t suddenly change in character, she didn’t learn from her mistakes. It was incredibly reckless of her to try and solo the Omnics.

It’s not like Honor and Glory where Reinhardt’s failure led to the death of Balderich and Reinhardt’s idea of what honor and glory entails changing.

It’s not like Alive where Tracer’s failure to save Mondata left a clear scar on her current character.

It’s not even like Dragons where it followed the allegory of the Dragon of the South striking down the Dragon of the North only to realize that the Human helping to heal him was his brother in disguise.

The entirety of Shooting Star is Taehyun (sp?) recommending caution and Dva going “lol no” and not being punished for her recklessness.

If Shooting Star showed that Dva couldn’t do everything by herself and that she needed to rely on her friends to accomplish her goal, it might have been decent. Instead it showed the opposite and that she can do whatever she want and that there won’t be any consequences for doing so if she’s skilled enough.

And while not every cinematic had a clear message (The Last Bastion, Reunion and Recall are three clear examples of this), they at least advance the story somewhat. Which Shooting Star doesn’t do, not unless the MEKA squad or Taehyun become relevant in lore in the future.

I always forget about Soldier’s or Winston’s (had to look it up) so i’d say theirs.

1 Like

See, you’re listing a ton of relevant characterization and worldbuilding and saying it’s nothing because D.Va didn’t, like, die. Like she was gonna die.

Apparently having, like, three out of four limbs out of commission, a concussion, and your whole country defenseless because all of MEKA is too injured to do anything isn’t high enough stakes.

3 Likes

Of course she wasn’t going to die. None of the characters are going to die, and because it’s PG rated, not even the goons are going to die.

But that’s not the point. The point was that none of her actions had any sort of consequences that could have served to advance her story or personality.

Like her being injured and the MEKA squad being out of commission is high stakes…But only if it ever gets followed up on. If the next Omnic invasion happens when Dva is healed and the MEKA squad back in action, what’s exactly the stakes of Shooting Star?

What’s exactly was the point of Shooting Star besides to show that Dva’s personality is simply propaganda?

Bastion is an omnic.

That’s the thing. Before the cinematic all we had no idea who Hana actually was. We could obviously tell “D.va” was a persona, but because she had no lore prior to that cinematic everything was guess work.

We didn’t know Korea was lying through media about the growing threat of the Gwishin. We didn’t know how badly they tore up the meka crew before then. We didn’t know that they are starting to make surprise attacks on the city. We knew literally nothing. They had to show D.va nearly getting killed off in her own cinematic to emphasize how bad things are getting.

Shooting Star couldn’t have built on D.va’s lore if there was no lore to begin with.