Moira has no lock-on 👏

This is one of those cases that really make you wonder - and when the logic is so clear its not a lock-on but a visual effect only, you have to wonder about the cognitive processes at work with some folks. It doesn’t surprise me now that in the face of clear evidence some people simply refuse to see…

lock on means the continuing hitbox is larger than the connecting hitbox. Which Moira doesn’t have.

Her weapon DOESN’T stay connected for a bit when line of sight is lost.

Lock on weapons KEEP attacking the same target even if another target gets in the hit box in front of the other target, which Moira’s weapon doesn’t.

It ISN’T a lock on.
Just like Hanzo isn’t hitscan.

But if you are going to argue “it MAY as well be a lock on, so I will call it a lockon” means you open yourself up to people saying Hanzo is hitscan, because hey, nothing has meaning any more right?

Lock on is a specific mechanic. Which Moira does not have.

but hey, if you want to call it lockon, then I am free to call Hanzo’s weapon hitscan, or Zaryas weapon lockon (because it has the same mechanics as Moiras).

Moira has a large hitbox, non piercing, non spy checking, hitscan, non headshotting beam.

1 Like

I swear it does stay connected, someone even posted a video showing it staying connected to a sigma while he went behind a wall, I also feel like it stays connected for tiny bit when I play with and against her. Its super noticeable when a Genji dashes behind you and the beam bends with him.

IMO it functions so similar to a lock on that it might aswell be, I don’t understand why people get so hung on the semantics or why your so concerned that it must not be called a lock on.

It doesn’t, but it looks like it. There was a really good set of videos where people were testing the beam (AND Sombra’s hack - which is lockon, but shouldn’t keep connected when LOS is lost)

It shows the beam until the next damage tick (which happens 30 times a second), when it stops being connected (and does no damage).

So I should call Hanzo’s weapon a hitscan then right? because hey, it may as well be.

No I don’t believe that Hanzo’s weapon functions like a hitscan at all, Moira’s weapon does behave like a lock on though.

Absolutely. You are looking at the thread beyond face value. People dislike when others “cheat”. When a hero can achieve the same goals as another one but with greater ease, it feels like you are being cheated.

Example: two employess do the same job for the same pay. But one of them also has to open and close the store. I dont know anyone who likes extra work without extra pay

I don’t think Hanzo’s weapon is a hitscan EITHER, but, then again, I think we should call abilities by their proper name.

So, her hitbox chances after firing starts? Because that is what lockon means.

Can you start firing and place your crosshair in a place where it will keep firing at the target, where if you stopped firing, and restarted it would not reconnect?

Now it either does, or it doesn’t, and we have had a LOT of people test it, and the tests come back that it doesn’t.

The animation is NOT the weapon.

It’s Hitbox does NOT change due to it hitting a target. You can go test it in the firing range, and I SERIOUSLY think you should.

Just Genji mains who get countered by her.

No, you’re relying on a fallacy.

That video creates an arbitrary definition of lock-on to disprove. It’s a straw man

Moira :clap: has :clap: lock :clap: on

2 Likes

why does it matter if it’s a lock on, all that matters is that it’s easy to hit people with

No lock-on for sure. However, the hitbox is roughly the size of the moon.

You are incorrect.

but, please, establish the truth of your claim.

Here is a basic argument that you probably can’t refute

Choose Mercy and latch your beam onto someone. Now move your screen such that the beam target is no longer on the screen or is no longer centered at all

See how the beam stays latched on? That’s a lock-on

Now do the same with Moira.

You see how the beam stops doing damage when the character is no longer centered?

Not a lock-on

I look forward to you attempt to show how this is wrong

See how the beam stays latched on? That’s a lock-on

This is the fallacy. Who says that’s lock-on? It’s not defined by the devs/in the game. If you want to make a division between soft and hard lock, fine, but I’m perfectly within my right to say Moira has lock on as much as you are to say she isn’t. It’s a completely arbitrary definiton.

I guess I can say Hanzo is a hitscan then. If we are going to ignore what words mean. Projectile / Hitscan is arbitrary as well, they are just arbitrary words used to describe VERY specific game mechanics.

I think I’ll next move hero names around, and ability names around, they are arbitrary as well.

So this hack ability Hanzo has. it is crazy strong.

She doesn’t have a lock on. My issue is her INSANELY large hit box. :stuck_out_tongue:

But a hitscan is a very clearly defined concept, unlike lock-on. Hitscan just means the server checks to see if your crosshair was on the target before registering a hit.

Devs have defined lock-on with their changes to Symmetra:

Symmetra

• New Abilities

Photon Projector

• No longer locks onto targets

That was the day Symmetra was changed from her lock-on beam to the non-locking beam she has now, and the lock-on version is shown in the OP’s video @ 3m03sec.

Moira’s damage beam works exactly the same way as current day Symmetra/Zarya’s beam now, which is a straight beam with no locking at all.

Lock on is ALSO very well defined. The devs have been using it to describe abilities which change in size after the first touch.

See Mercy beams, Sombra hacks, Old Sym, etc.

What you’ve just posted explains that Sym had a lock on beam, which we all already agreed upon. It did not say Moira didn’t.

You wanted Blizzard to define lock on, there it is. Symmetra had a lock-on, then it was removed.

Moira works the same way as current Symmetra, which does not have any locking.