Moira does not have a lock on

Why is it that everytime on the forums… When someone talks about moira beam being a lock on, or a soft lock, its always someone who is either plat or below, or someone who has just started the game.

Rarely you see someone diamond or up make the comment.

is it people being mad?
Is it people being ignorant?

2 Likes

It’s both.

3 Likes

You touch me kindly.

1 Like

Majority already knows about it, why make yet another thread which been done plenty of times already?

1 Like

Majority in general knows about it, but on the forums? Seems like half the forums are saying moira has a lockon nowadays

1 Like

Well, you need to realize that it’s the usual forums at this point.

They’re doing it for the attention & get you people, who takes everything seriously, mad about it.
Feeding more attention towards them & not let the threads just die their own is just gonna make them doing more of them.

I mean, im not mad, nor is a lot of the other people who make posts about the subject, on the contrary often the people who are fighting against moira not having a lock on for example are screaming and insulting people left right and center

1 Like

What it is doesn’t matter. I just like to say it’s some variant of lock-on to see the reaction.

Honestly, I feel like it’s just a means to strawman Moira as even more problematic than what is presented. If they say she has Lock on, aka the term tends to have negative connotations then people will feel more inclined to believe they are correct on their stance against her rather than to take the time to review the facts. If it looks like it locks to the center of the model, people are going to assume it locks on without taking any further inspection or any debunk video that proves otherwise.

If anything it’s propaganda to make Moira look like a terrible unbalanced hero and as a means to spread misinformation just to pull more people towards the hate train. It doesn’t matter if it’s true or not so long as someone is willing to believe it.

When I play Moira I have had a Genji dash behind me, they are completely out of my view - completely behind me. I have seen the purple beam remain connected to them and I have seen them die with me in the credited for the kill in the kill feed.

When I have played Mercy against a Moira on Anubis, I have dodged around a wall and super jumped - so I am completely out of her line of sight - confirmed on the killfeed. The purple beam has stayed attached to me and killed me after I blocked LOS with a wall - with Moira credited in the kill feed.

There is 100% a period of time that Moira’s beam stays connected regardless of LOS, and it isn’t “just an animation” - it continues to do damage during this time.

Or there is the off chance that ping / latency prioritizes Moira’s Beam. Not to say it did or not since I wasn’t there to see this happen or confirm it but just food for thought.

I wish it was trolling and/or being limited to the forum’s only, but on Overwatch Reddit and competitive Overwatch Reddit are there a lot of ignorant players who think it’s a lock-on as well.

I think some players really think it’s a lock-on.
(Especially Genji mains.)

1 Like

While these are two examples from my own game-play, I notice stuff like this constantly when I play Moira. I don’t play with unusally high latency so I doubt that is why.

From playing Moira I would describe her beam as a soft-lock with a huge hitbox to get attached. It is this way because she is designed to counter mobility, I don’t know why people are so obsessed about denying it. Giant hit box or auto-lock seems somewhat of a moot point imo.

Moira does heal too much AoE imo. This was even more clear after the week she was banned and we saw so many different heroes played. She certainly chokes variety out of the game and is not in a good spot for the health of the game imo.

1 Like

That is lag. Well, its “favor the attacker” time. Where it calculates your and the enemys ping. Where as the enemy is behind you, on his screen he hasnt moved behind you yet, and as you are the attacker, you will have the power in that point

1 Like

I wasn’t sure how to describe it so thank you for the better explanation on the whole thing.

Isn’t that more the other way around - where the attacker still sees you on their screen but you think you have moved behind cover.

I have not heard the “favour-the-shooter” mechanic to work such that it enables the attacker to hit someone who has moved out of their LOS or behind cover.