MMR Reset for Season 18

With the beta season for role queue, we see a lot of players trying other roles but when they finish placement, they get placed within their last season’s SR because the game thinks they are plat for all the roles, where they could be diamond for healer, gold for both tank and DPS.
I have completed my placements in one of my accounts where I was diamond, and I got low diamond for all the roles even I mostly play support and I wasn’t really good on tank, not even speaking for DPS.

So I went over to play in my friend’s account who didn’t play any competitive at all (0 comp match history), I completed all the fresh placement matches and got mid-gold for dps, high-gold for tank and high plat for supp.

All I mean, is that reseting the MMR for Season 18 would make the matches better as someone who is trying dps for the first time in comp wouldn’t probably be ranked as masters, as they main tank in masters rank from the previous seasons.

2 Likes

This will only makes smurfing a lot easyer and all Master+ players just could throw all placements and be placed in Bronze. Personally i suggest that let that SR for every player and every role set up like few weeks, something like that it takes that players will be placed to right sr at every role, instead of 2-3 month smurfing at Bronze - Gold games.

2 Likes

No it will not, mmr reset is the worst. It would create total chaos and unbalanced games for months.

5 Likes

You probably wanted the title to be SR reset not MMR reset.

Bliz have already stated that their was already a “mini MMR reset” for the beta season due to them tracking stats for each class for the last few months.

In previous posts Bliz have also said that MMR adjusts very quickly (typically less than 10 games) so most peoples MMR will be correct within a few games of placements anyway.

Now onto your main point - it doesn’t look like Bliz will reset SR, most people with either be carrying over their SR from S17 or from the Beta season (if you played beta).

In reality some people will get some extra end of season rewards as a result of having incorrect SR’s - however that is the only impact of not resetting SR.

The crucial point is SR is not used for matchmaking only MMR is used for that.
So people will quickly get thrown into games at the correct level - even if they have the wrong rank (SR) badges.

There will be no reset.

1 Like

Everybody that says mmr reset would bad is typically 20 years or younger in the snowflake generation. They didnt grow up playing comp fps games where every single season it was reset, and you either were good enough and climbed or sucked and stayed low rank.

Non not one of those games had the problems these games like this one have. Its funny cuz with a new account u get an mmr reset and thats why they will never do it cuz money. There are higher ranked players in all ranks already and mmr reset would only sort them out alot faster, it would even place alot of them higher if they are smurfing in low elo.

2 Likes

What comp fps games had rank resets each season??? I can’t even think of one.

And even if they did, there’s a reason that literally no game does that now.

And this is a much different game than other fps games. A rank reset would be terrible. I’m glad the devs have stated that they have no plans to do that. I guess they must be “20 years or younger from the snowflake generation.”

2 Likes

Been playing since the early 90s, even competed in a few tournys. This is the first game i know of to not reset each season, as well as use SR and MMR at the same time, instead of just one and let it organically sort people by pure wins and losses.

And yes its 100% a snowflake game, its blizz after all and everyone has to be a winner. If i wana reset i go buy a new acct, its already implimented into the game, and i said before that gets them money every single time. They are owned by activision after all.

Its usually the people not confident enough in their ability to get back to where they were that doesnt want a reset.

1 Like

And everyone that thinks an MMR reset would be good is plat or below. If you can’t climb now, an MMR reset won’t make a difference.

Lol extremely incorrect on that my guy. Many people of all various rankings want it. Even a few pros suggested it.

The other thing they could do is remove the 40/50/60% match up that goes on behind the scenes and let it organically play out.

I shouldnt play at bronze/silver/gold/plat/diamond and have someone of my skill level on the other team to make an “even” match.

Edit- regardless im just stating my opinions in somethin as someone who has gamed for a long long time and competed. Not trying to get peoples panties in a bunch

1 Like

and that is fixed by making every single player gold. good thinking there!

My main is high diamond, all my friends who I play with are over diamond.
I can easily climb to masters but then again there would be a support main trying dps for the first time, and got placed to high diamond because their mmr is diamond. Who would be blamed for that loss ? Mostly the supp main for choosing DPS but then again it wouldn’t be their fault as they would want fresh placements too because they would know and hopefully realize what’s the fault.

And if you think like " ELO DOESN"T EXIST, IT’S THE PLAYERS WHO SUCK", I have seen multiple of my friends being good but stuck in bronze, silver just because they wanted to check and play competitive back then with little to no idea what it is.

Wow a lot of fire from someone who probably only wants it because they are stuck in plat. I can already give you two games off the top of my head that dont reset rank every season. Rainbow six and Rocket League. The only people who want an mmr reset are the same people who blame their team mates as to why they cant climb.

You’ve been playing fps games since the 90s and every one that you’ve played has reset ranks every season? Name one.

I’ve been playing fps for a long time too. Do you know what fps games did in the 90s? No ranks. Most games had privately owned servers that anyone could join. So I’m not really sure what you’re talking about.

I don’t think I ever recall an FPS title that had ranks in those times. You’d literally meet up with a bunch of people and play single/double elims. You could argue that a reset was done in that fashion when you’d be matched up with anyone the next time you all meet again, but there definitely wasn’t a ranking system in place.

1 Like

thats not correct, you can see that by the SR rank per team. They match you based on SR, not MMR.

You don’t need to do comp to place accurately in Comp. Your friend has a hidden MMR that is used even in QP. The System probably based his regular performance against the placement matches.

Reseting the MMR completely would be 100 times worse then what we experienced during Beta. For months we’d have GM-Diamond players destroying ranks gold or lower.

Thx K for finding that :wink:

yes but SR is just a number representing mmr, and mmr means “MATCH MAKING RATING”

You need to clean up your language, specifically the word “representing” is not helpful in this context.

When speaking generally across the entire base of players who have both stable MMR’s and stable SR’s, then there is a correlation (I don’t know if its linear) between a players MMR and a players SR.

However the crucial word in my statement was “stable” in that there can be times when the MMR has changed and the SR has not yet adjusted to the change, since SR changes much slower than MMR.