Middle East servers high ping. (it’s been 6 months.)

Hello, us middle east players have been suffering from high ping since the Overwatch anniversary update which was about 6 months ago.
This issue clearly isn’t caused by bad internet or anything like that because it’s affecting a large amount of people and it’s likely due to the server’s routing, it’s been so long now that most ME players just gave up but I’m writing this in hopes that it will reach the people who can actually look into it and try to fix it instead of just blaming it on us. And for any other ME players experiencing the same issue please comment to let them know, we need as much people as possible and try to share it if you can.

1 Like

As an EU player that’s most likely routing over the same data points to the EU server in Amsterdam as those ME players, I can really feel the difference when I’m in a lobby with a lot of ME players. It’s packet loss and tons of rubberbanding, noregs, players dislocating weirdly and overall inconsistent gameplay. I’ve talked to my ISP, did all tests like Winmtr and pathpings, traceroutes. The conclusion is, the Frankfurt data path in Germany is massively congested (probably because the whole of all Eurasian players are getting routed over there to Amsterdam. I’m getting 40% pachetloss from there. VPN is just a mediocre solution that increases latency if I where to route over another data point. If ME players are all getting routed to a wrong server in Europe, why should I suffer from the resulting congestion and how could my ISP do anything about it? That’s a major fumbling.

It’s true, this issue is affecting not just ME players but also Europe players,Blizzard should fix this ASAP, it’s been way too long.

Have you done such tests as traceroute or winmtr to look at the routing? How much ping do you have when you play? Have you talked to your ISP? It seems that Blizzard suggests to those ME players to talk to their ISP because they should be routed to a ME Server instead of EU.

We’ve tried testing buy it always has 100% packet loss, the ping is always between 170-200 (on EU servers it’s about 120 for most people I think, way less than ME rn.) ISPs just blame it on the game’s servers and refuse to cooperate, the only people that can actually help us are Blizzard.

I didn’t get exactly what u mean… You mean ME players get 200 ping on their own servers? and 120 on EU?

If you test with pathping or winmtr, you need to disregard the positions where it says 100% packet loss, those are most likely servers that block ICMP protocols… If you’re getting routed to the EU servers you should get 120 ping because its basically on another continent. packet loss is a whole different sort of issue that needs to be adressed once you’re on the right servers. Are you playing on PC or console?

Yep, that’s sadly how it’s been for the last 6 months.
I’m on console, I know it’s normal to get 120 ping ofc, the real issue is us getting 200 ping on ME servers even though it’s very close, it should be around 50.

Well I see know. Then there’s a whole issue with ME servers. People that are getting routed to EU are the one’s that logically avoid 200 ping, to have 120 instead, but it probably could contribute to some of EU’s network congestions.

Blizzard could fix this issue by laying out different server locations but they don’t feel the urge for whatever reason. I mean it has to have an impact on the whole ME playerbase, right? Them framing it in a way that it’s the local ISP’s job to do the work is just them showing that they don’t really care about delivering to their customers. It’s a common form of business prokrastination. The proof to that would be that everything was fine up until they decided to relocate their servers for the transition from OW1 to OW2 and prior to that, everything was fine. Maybe they’re waiting for contracts with network companies to end until they can reallocate a system of quality. And that would be the reason why they always say it’s the ISP’s fault, it keeps us busy.

I would say tho, since it’s mostly a console problem, (PC players can choose their servers and have easy access to a VPN) we’re on the shorter end of the stick.

Blizzard should fix this ASAP.

we Saudi players are suffering from high ping, the game is not playable at 170-200ms in the new ME server (gmec).

it was 20-25ms in the old server.

Also, the game routes most of us to EU servers.

Google Cloud Qatar is a bad location, move it to Google Cloud Saudi Arabia or bring it back to AWS Bahrain.

they are ignoring us in this thread.

1 Like

Through my testing, there is congestion on the retn (Eurasian Network) routes in my country (Switzerland) and Germany (Frankfurt), as well as on the Blizzard routes leading to the Amsterdam Blizzard servers.

I’ve talked to my ISP and they say there is no packet loss on my way to the blizzard servers, and that those servers block ICMP requests, which is why I see packet loss on my Winmtr tests…

So everyone is negating responsibility and we just have to take a hit. the game rn is nearly unplayable for me.

You’ll see me in QP and if I’m lagging and I can’t perform as well as I should, don’t blame me, I hear sound crackles enemies lagging around and my character might look like it’s walking in straight lines or having micro-afk’s.

I’m honestly letting my team know that I’m lagging ahead of time so I don’t get toxic comments.