Microsoft laying off 1900 Activision and Xbox employees

Do you not know how the forums here work? Do you REALLY think you can come here and not be gaslit, shamed, mocked, or accused of skill issue?

You better back your stuff and go. This is a place reserved for shills, and you don’t fit in here.

1 Like

Hopefully the team leadership is included :pray:

Oh ooof, that is… that’s a lot of people.

There is zero job security in the gaming industry. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

bronze take

this is a joke lol

changed my mind, not a joke

3 Likes

Wrong, it’s just that Microsoft knows dead weight when they see it. They bought a company full of a bunch of connivers and deadbeats. Time for a change. LATER NERDS

Amen

3 Likes

I did none of these?

I guess I’m a shill again? The forums swing between calling me a shill and a doomer so it’s hard to keep track.

I point to my previous replies.

The people making the decisions you don’t like aren’t the ones losing their jobs and celebrating them losing their jobs is just cruel.

7 Likes

I mean, bobby leaving december. Makes sense, cutting the teams also. But is too soon if you consider some perks.

I mean, Ybarra and bobby would be on the chopping block for sure in the beginnin, which I think took awhile for Ybarra to leave tbh. The others, would take time to access considering december-january (slower workforce performance overall). Could make sense to gather data but making company wide decisions, march-april would be more logical.

Most likely, their goal is to make the company profitable in about 6-24month plan. Which would be roughly towards the end of the year and beginning of the next. Which would represent gamepass, most likely, near the end of the year or in sync with div expansion.

1 Like

People are losing their livelihoods over this… have a little empathy.

Not everyone going will be in team 4 or even in control of the games. It’ll be across many other departments, even those completely unrelated to development.

Yes they’ll be getting rid of duplicate jobs and some chaff. But nearly 2,000 jobs at once is a huge layoff. And I bet you there will be middle management people throwing others under the bus so they can keep their jobs whilst someone more poorly paid loses theirs.

8 Likes

Bold to assume they are actually doing anything at the moment

Was Ybarra laid off or did he just decide to leave?

Need some clarification…

:thinking:

1 Like

If they are as talented as you seem to think they are, then they will have no problem finding another job. I’m not worried about them, any more than they are worried about me. Which as far as I’m aware, is not very much.

I’m in no rush to throw a pity party for a bunch of people that are complicit in corporate scumbaggery.

9 Likes

And not even necessarily maliciously. As shown by OW itself it’s kinda easy to shift blame subconsciously.

It’s also easier to just cut costs by slashing teams like dev teams, art teams, it teams, hr teams, etc. over management based roles for a lot of reasons, but the main one is the other roles have “redundant” members(even if a lot aren’t actually redundant and cutting the team size would essentially make the team not function properly)

3 Likes

Well, the report said that he left. But tbh, most likely he would be in the chopping block if he didn’t, so maybe he made a deal that was good to the company and for him.

Similar to the bonuses that bobby received and other folks leaving in similar manner. At least is the info we got til now

2 Likes

So he left Microsoft twice now…

Since he used to work for them before he was at blizzard…

:astonished:

Another news dropped. Blizzards survival game has been cancelled very close to its completion. The games vice president also has left/fired from Blizzard

1 Like

Wonder if Palworld had anything to do with this…

:flushed:

1 Like

I don’t think so but who knows.

Losing your job can be awful even if you are skilled enough to find another. Not everyone has a safety net.

As many people have previously established, the people being let go aren’t.

It really seems like your blind hatred for the company is blinding you to the reality of how layoffs at development studios are.

7 Likes

Which is why I think he knows how things work and mostly decided to leave with a deal. MS isn’t new in the business, they know how to do stuff and what works best for them on the long run, similar to Nintendo who is in the Business since early days.

Higher positions are the ones who often are cut in the beginning, aside if those on the upper management are useful in some specific project, which I don’t think he is.

1 Like

oh yea that survival game. wonder if they will salvage it later, i probably wouldnt have played it since i really dont care for survival games but i was interested on blizzards take on what would be with a survival game

maybe blizzard’s whole identity is evaporated and they are just living on borrowed ideas from past developers… (wow, original overwatch team, etc)

yea… microsoft might be the nail in the coffin 10 years from now for blizzard heh

1 Like