Micro cuts and why i have to pay so high for them

Lag switching is stopping packets being sent from your side to the server for a small amount of time. This is usually done when peaking. For example, I stand by a corner, hit the lag switch so no data is sent to the server, walk out of the corner and turn off the lag switch which on the server side shows I essentially teleported.

2 Likes

really?.

i will tell you exactly how to solve this problem.

first of all, you need to give the game the ability to store your credentials for at least 30 after it detects you have lost connection so when you regain it you don’t have to go though the whole process of login in again.

if you are in a match and you get a micro cut (they usually last between 2-3 to 15 seconds) when you regain connection you get thrown back into the match or better yet you don’t get kicked before the timer expires.

the system i propose is inviolable just because if you genuinely had a internet cut you can safely return to the match to finish it but if you intentionally leave it by shutting down your own internet you will get thrown back into the same match you left… and you won’t have any choice but to willingly abandon the match again and face the consequences.

beside the game just needs to wait for you for 30 seconds its not the end of the world… like i said plenty of times too, for example tf2 or csgo (TEAM BASED FAST PACED FPS GAMES) they keep you in the game for 30 seconds if you do not return to the game you get kicked…

the solution is so simple that i can’t understand why no one thought about this.

is frustrating to be good at a game and pay so much for a stupid connection loss.

It’s a waste of the 11 other people’s time if an intentional thrower comes back by force, making it take even longer for the game to end.

but if the game detects that you are not sending any packets how can you do that? when i get micro cuts my game will disconnect entirely.

like i said… you get 30 seconds if you do not enter in that time frame you get kicked out and penalized… besides nothing and no one will stop a player that don’t want to play that game to play bad on purpose and lose intentionally… nothing.

what i am asking is to apply something that separates the people that unintentionally leave a match from the others that do it on purpose and it only takes 30 seconds.

its not rocket science… 99% of other games do it why overwatch be different?

You can’t do it in this game because they DC you the second you lose connection. That was my whole point.

Weird…
The only other game does this that I know is Dota 2. But the time frame is much more generous (5 minutes), and you can pause

But come to think of it, why doesn’t OW has a pause function?

I can turn this right around and say “you clearly don’t care about your teammates in competitive if you continue to play the game even when you know odds are good that you will disconnect”. :man_shrugging:

I hope you manage to fix your issue but you need to relax, you having a bad connection is your problem, no one else’s.

1 Like

Becasue OW is the only game that HAVE to do things differently than ANY other game out in the past 30 years and narcissistic way.

The game that wants to reduce the toxicity at all costs is plagued by toxicity and smurfs…how ironic…

Unfortunately there will never be a solution to your problem

its not something that happens all the time… that’s the point… but if you have the bad luck to get cuts in a frame of a half an hour you get by the system…

besides i play comp past midnight when to connection is stable… i don’t play comp when i know i could have cuts.

and if you don’t notice i CAN’T fix it… its not at my end and it’s not in my capabilities to stop it… it just is.

…and what i want to get here is some middle ground at least… like i said plenty of times, 99% of games are not like this, only overwatch punish SO hard on ppl that have bad internet some times.

Multiple people DID directly address your point, you just don’t like the answer.

The fact is if you don’t have a reliable internet then you shouldn’t play competitive online games. And it sounds like you don’t have a reliable internet.

The issue it’s, if they reserve your spot in that game. Could negatively affect your teammates.

In quick play matchs can be resolved in around 2 minutes and 35 sec. If you convert in seconds, means 155 sec. If you leave or receive a DC on 10-15sec means you lost 10% of the match and your teammates paid the price. Also picking a hero and moving to the teamfight means more (3-10 seconds). In quick play we got less queue times and less interval to rejoin the match. I actually returned in some matches in the past, but it was like 1/30th chances. Because most of the time DC happens more sistematic and have a lot of autentications to make viable again (your latency also doesn’t help in that factor).

On competitive matches actually you can go back, but most of the time you won’t because fast dc it’s almost impossible nowadays. The queue time to wait you go back it’s really small, if they increase much that could be problematic.

Overwatch can have fast matches, also it’s not fair that you go back in the same position. You will need to pick a hero and move your way down again. Also your latency wasn’t good to begin with, was 200ish. You played almost the entire video with 1 or 2 icons:

The ocasional one:
“This icon pulses when your client hasn’t heard from the server for a period longer than your interpolation delay. If this icon is consistently pulsing, it may indicate a connection problem, and can cause erratic behavior in game.”

The constant one:
This icon will pulse when packet loss is detected. This could indicate a connection problem and can result in erratic game behavior if it goes on for an extended period of time.

Note : The thresholds for the above icons are currently turned down very low, and will pulse when there isn’t necessarily a problem. This threshold may change.

The red one:
This icon indicates that the client has not heard from your lobby or from the game server for an extended period of time and that a disconnection is likely.

Try to show the interpolation delay (IND) under settings to help more precise diagnosis. Maybe you had a lot issues in IND while the constant one appeared in the screen.

the thing is… the game doesn’t store you credentials, you lose much more time because of this…

usually a micro cut, will last for 1-3 seconds, and the whole game rebooting itself takes 25… and some times the game even doesn’t sing you in and you have to refill your user and password again…

that is the main problem with this ordeal, the inability for the platform to store you credentials for at least 30 seconds.

also… 10% on a quickplay really is that much?.. come on.

i’ve lost 2 recommendation levels because of this too… i’ve like 1000 hours and still lvl 1. (i don’t even care about that but just saying.)

also 2… i’ve never in that time left a match on purpose not even on competitive always go till the end of things.

it’s sad that after 4-5 years of the game existing, no one thought some thing to even this thing out and not judge every one with the same rod.

so… if you don’t have enugh food at home you don’t eat do you?

sometimes you have to understand other people that don’t have it as good as yourself… it’s called empathy.

The game actually stored more time, if you consider how much seconds you had conflict. You had inconsistencies for a long time and had high latency. You played with that and if you had that stable would be great, but you not measured IND. On settings you can mark to show interpolation delay, that can provide even more accuracy.

The issue with refill your password and account could be related with “reconnection” delay from bnet app plus the game itself using other kind of authentication. The bnet app it’s a hub and one of the common steps of authentication from blizzard various games. You can actually play without it, but it’s strongly unrecommended and also won’t solve your issue. So it’s a additional step.

Sure the user/pass generate more problems when you try to re-authenticate. But not sure if you will still made in time for the game.

If you ignore the “warnings” before the DC.
Takes around:
1-3 sec (if you measuring right) - the micro cut
1-3 to auto-login (if would had) - restart communication with blizz servers
8-10 sec to check sessions, load the map, players in the game and characters screen (because the game needs load those 4 things, at least 2 second each) - because you can’t stay in the same place during the match without communication with servers. The game it’s server side not client side.
2-5 second to actually select a hero
3-10 sec to get in a team fight

15-31 seconds total.

The “minimum sum” of those steps it’s 15 seconds, still 10%. It’s a great deal if you consider 5x6 also one less teamfight and one teamfight lost. So actually 2 less viable teamfights, for a team it’s huge if you drop again will be more 2 teamfights. Even if they “sort” some middle term, you have high chances to receive report for gameplay sabotage. It’s around the time of one teamfight (10-30 sec).

Some games won’t be 10% of the match but would be at least 2 teamfights less per drop. One that you actually DC e the one who actually will happen afterwards. If you take a team perspective and overwatch it’s way too team reliant, it’s actually a big deal.

They could make some changes on OW2 to solve that kind of issue, but I really don’t see much “good return” for them, because most of the time each round on QP could last up to 10 minutes in certain modes and up 5 minutes in others. Fast games can happen anytime, hanamura could be around 1:35-1:45 minutes to win.
If you defending in there, got DC during the fight. You team would be at disavantage and could cost the point. If you measure right you would return around the time you actually lost that point, even with auto-login. But we actually won’t, so the match would be even worst. Just test playing in a group and try to rejoin in the group, if you manage to return to match in the same spot you will see the “amount” of things happened when you got your DC.

That “explains” why overwatch it’s fast paced and have really fast “tide changes”. 10-30 Seconds can decide the game in overwatch. Just do a team kill and try to contest the point, the enemy team wouldn’t make in time to defend the point.

Because IT’S FAST PACED. Jesus you people are thick. Yeah let me vote pause while i try to kill this ball. Oh the pause its assigned to one person hope you enjoy getting trolled.

I played 2 years from my phone 4g(usb tethering ) and ranked up to 3.7k on my other accounts.
It works!

Jesus you are aggressive.

This is one of those thing I was curious. Whether it is added or not, eh, who cares.

you are missing the part when… the match starts it takes 1 minute to setup.
and take steam for example, when you get disconnected steam still knows who you are even after you reconnect, the blizzard app and overwatch have amnesia every time you lose connection… so dumb it hurts.

by the way… some times when someone leaves the match the game takes LONGER to find someone new… last night we where playing with 1 less teammate for literally more than half the match…

still, i will stick to my guns… losing 30 seconds it’s nothing on quickplay… the other night had a streak of 25 won rounds in a row without a single micro cut… but is not like this everyday.

Don’t start this talk about empathy and privilege and you exclude personal responsibility. YOU chose to live far far in the mountains. YOU knew that there would be unreliable internet. YOU decided to play a 100% online multiplayer TEAM based game knowing that you would most likely dc. No one ever forced you to do this. And then you act surprised why people don’t have “empathy” towards you??? You put yourself in that situation and you come and try to blame others.

it seems that you don’t understand that only overwatch does this… i have no problem whatsoever in other fast paced FPS online shooters.

tell people in venezela or any other developing country that they can’t play the game just because the devs can’t rectify a simple thing in their games.

i play with people from peru, chile, uruguay and they have similiar issues with the game, most of all lag spikes and high ping, just because the servers i believe are only in brazil… even TF2 has servers in peru, chile, argentina, brazil, etc… and its old as heck.

btw i didn’t chose to live in this forsaken part of the world i pay 4 times more for 10mb of internet than any other part in my country just because there is no other ISP… it is what it is…

Doesn’t matter , you chose to have bad internet ( if it’s the only option you still choose to have it ), you chose to play a team based online game knowing that you (rightfully) will get penalized if you play competitive and DC.

If you play QP they have backfill so they can replace you so there is no leaver penalty , when you play competitive you are expected to be able to start and finish the match with the team you are assigned.

Oh and I should mention I’ve been using the Battlenet launcher since it was in beta and never had it make me sign back in after a short DC of a few seconds or less, just click play on the game and was right back in.

Overwatch takes seconds (10 max) to load.