Michael Chu is awesome

sry dude.

But the excruciatingly slow development of the lore just killed the excitement. So regardless of how good or bad he’s been, It’s just not relevant anymore.

I remember being SO HYPED about doomfist suddenly being added to the game and the way he got out.

Now, they basically introduced a future hero and as an organization working with talon which is supposedly a huge lore deal and i’m like meh. Big deal but i don’t care.

5 Likes

Don’t mention Overwatch lore and Mass Effect lore in the same breath, even if it is to note that they’re not the same level.

There’s usually more lore in a codex found behind a shed in ME than a whole event in OW.

11 Likes

Micheal Shu looks like a nice person and I have nothing against him personally, but his writing has plenty room for improvements.

Some characters are very bland or cliche (Tracer), and some characters doesn’t even has much lore (Zenyatta, Lucio and Symmetra) while others do (Genji).

Also, Gency seems to be the only lore that advances, which is a shame imo. (And it just happens to be with the 2 most popular heroes in the game :thinking:.) It feels very forced.

10 Likes

I don’t expect OW to have a super deep lore and story, because it is a PvP game.
However, I expect OW to have lore and story at least on level of TF2 (another PvP game). And TF2 has much-much more interesting, deep and rich lore with tons of plot hooks and very cool and long comics.

I have nothing against Micheal Chu as a person, but his writing level is more suitable for gimmicky mobile games. He talk too much about meaningless and worthless stuff like which hero prefers which food or something like that, but actual story stopped at Sombra Cinematic years ago, while the last time we get a proper and interesting story of past days was Retribution event. Bastet story very poorly written, majority of comics contains almost zero important lore, while Rising Storm has cool animation, but contains zero new info with exception of very small cliffhanger at the end.

5 Likes

The optimistic goodie two shoes protagonist with a “tragic” past trope is overdone and can be found almost everywhere.
What did he contribute to the character ? All he did was make her a lesbian out of the blue.
Wow, quality writing indeed.

To the guys that says we’re lucky to have lore in an FPS game, well most of FPS with campaigns have lore. Even COD.

If Blizzard really have a team of writers, i don’t see much of their work in 2018-2019 besides some interaction between characters and a mediocre storm rising. (Btw, bastet sucks - except for the skin.)

I’m starting to wonder if some of them are included in the last layoff. Sure, they don’t layoff developers, but writers aren’t included as developers, aren’t they?

3 Likes

Remember how last year was supposed to be the year the lore advanced and we got more of it? And then we got literally 1 short story written like a fanfic?

5 Likes

Look, Chu honestly seems like a nice guy. I just wish we had more lore, more evenly distributed lore, and more diverse lore (meaning, more diverse from the common tropes). For all I know it might be funding that’s the issue, so I don’t blame the guy.

1 Like

I also am creating an interdimensional portal gun. Is it developed in terms of quantum physics etc.? No, but it’s getting there.

2 Likes

How can I judge his writing, when he puts out so little?

4 Likes

i wish i could work 3 hours per year for full salary

9 Likes

you mean bastet? that’s all there has been last year along with mccree’s cinematic which was also great

Tracer doesn’t have time-traveling technology. She also cannot control it as terminator can. Tracer has unstable time travel that is controlled by her gadget. The key word is technology her accelerate isn’t time travel technology. Also, in the terminator they have time traveling technology that’s not tied to one person.also there has been an uprising of other robots where it didn’t end up in an apocalyptic future. So again why bring up terminator when overwatch doesn’t have time travel technology.

It’s against the code of conduct to mention a developer/employee by name.

So we’re stuck with saying the devs writing team. Or blizzard overwatch writing team. Also why make that against TOS when you can already easily look at his social media. :thinking:

You can go on his Twitter and praise him there. You can’t mention anyone by name on here. It’s a reportable offense. I’m just saying, man. Also, I’m pretty sure you’re aware of this too. Just because you’re shedding positive light on him, doesn’t mean it’s appropriate for the forums.

I know its reportable offense it’s just weird to have that specific offense when social media exist. I don’t mind him if anything I think blizzard the one keeping the lore in a snail’s pace.

His writing is awful and for something he gets PAID ACTUAL MONEY TO DO he does barely any work. FYI to any mods reading my comment I am not the one who made the thread so don’t punish me.

2 Likes

The Bastet story was actually a pretty good read. As much as I wish Vincent got a bit more elaboration on him, Mr. Chu’s decision to take a Gears of War type approach and cut romance out of the story to focus on more important events was a good decision on his part. He needs more credit.

And Zenyatta lore. pleeeeeaaaaaase.

/s

6 Likes