Michael Chu is awesome

The whole “Omnic Crisis” is just Terminator (but with a happy ending); for the whole “Omnic prejudice” plot point, just take your pick on anything regarding race and prejudice, and for it to be specifically robots, there’s “I, Robot”. The whole “Overwatch being shut down, and now in a time of crisis trying to be brought together” is just the “Getting The Band Back Together” trope, which has been used in movies like The Blues Brothers, but if you want something as little more relatable to Overwatch, something like this has happened many times in Marvel and DC comics, such as the Civil War storyline in Marvel Comics. There’s three examples. I can continue if you’d like.

Tracer is literally the most basic a character can get lol

Michael Chu is a fanfic level writer at best. He’s not great at world building.

6 Likes

I’m not worried about his quality, I’m worried about the utter lack of QUANTITY.

11 Likes

Everything good came from Chris Metzen… once he retired and Chu took over its been high school junior level bad.

23 Likes

Hey, Michael Chu, stop wasting time creating appreciation threads about yourself and actually write some lore, for a change

16 Likes

Are you… Serious? Forgive me but everything you say points to nothing but the idea that a lot of Media do pull from one another.

Firstly the Omnic Crisis, a crisis in which Omnics rose up against their human creators, no time traveling assassins, no skynet, and no intent to stop a post acololyptic land scape to befall the Overwatch verse. Omnics have been trying to gain equal rights with humans and show that they are better then what happened before? But I can’t see any parallels besides evil androids…

Also IRobot’s bots were no where nearly as sentient as the ones we see in Overwatch, being they were just beginning to see themselves as more as tools for human control and when they rose up it was due to a virus if I’m not mistaken that caused many to go haywire not a desire for equal rights. Could we argue that there’s a parralel between second class androids? Sure, but other then that I don’t think think that’s so much stealing as it is just doing it. IRobot likely wasn’t the first to try the concept.

The getting the band back together trope isn’t stolen… It’s a trope, media tend to do that. They use them. Everything we know likely uses tropes some way or another.

Civil wars occur in multiple forms of media, did Marvel steal it from DC? Did DC steal it from say, I don’t know Civil war movies? These aren’t things that can really be stolen.

If it was done line for line there’d be a point in stealing but these things are story elements. Interesting conversation so far, finish over coffee?

Not gonna lie - I have nothing against the guy (seems nice and all), but the lore and writing in overwatch so far has progressed at a snail’s pace. Of the lore they’ve written, a great deal of it has nothing to do with the major events from overwatch. I honestly couldn’t care less about things like what types of shoes Soldier used to wear when going for a run.

11 Likes

Says who? You? Very nice opinion thank you for sharing.

A lot of people in the many threads made on lore.

3 Likes

A lot of people, actually, according to the responses in this thread and other threads entirely. I’m sure he’s a nice guy but Chu just isn’t a good writer.

5 Likes

Which is fine, alot of people want the US to be fascist. Many people like wearing their underwear outside of their clothes. Alot of people don’t matter, it’s a sample size of opinions so to say.

I’m sure they’re a better writer then you or I, I’m sure they’ve been praised by their writing thing is all we are doing is giving opinion and we should all make sure we understand that. Am I saying like the writing? no, but i’m not going to take people\s words for it.

I think he’s a good writer. There.

I think that he’s a good writer overall. People focus on the lack of lore set in the present, the Gency shipping, etc, but he’s given us a lot of good stuff. I mean, take “Reunion”–if he wrote that short, then he’s all right in my book. :+1:

Really really though you were going to pull the H card there…

Don’t even know what this has to do with anything. We’re disagreeing with this part in particular:

Firstly, that’s not saying much.

Second, Tracer was a fleshed out character before she was adopted in to OW.

The last comic with soldier and ana. The Main plot was around that bad guy and his gang in kairo. Talking about lovers and what ever does not contribute to the story at all unless said lover turns out to be a big part in that plot (One of the villains, hostage or maybe soldier wants revenge on someone for killing him). That of course would be a bit obvious foreshadowing, but that doesn’t really have to be bad unless you want to surpise the readers. In that case you want none or only tiny little bit of foreshadowing that can be missed easly.

What he wanted to do in a really bad way was showing Soldiers backstory more or what some na writers especially do more and more is virtue signaling. That showing someones sexuality is more important that a character or the story itself. Only he will ever know the real reason I guess, because I can’t read minds.

Overall that guy has a far too easy job, to write that poor for a company like Blizzard especially.

And that is why I think he is a Fanfiction level writer. In those Stories you see people creating eighter mary sues (For me that can be any character. Male, Female, Android etc.) or are focusing on a romance factor way too much without any reason to

6 Likes

He seems like a nice guy, and obviously stayed at this lead position for years, but I don’t get how???
You like him then good for you. Really hope 2019 lore proves me wrong.

Nice guy, but is more content with taking pictures of food than writing any lore or story.

3 Likes

It’s an example, opinions are this large thing that we all have. Yours is no more right then mine

Literally all he did was make her lesbian.

4 Likes

This is what I’m wondering, like whether it’s Chu’s call whether to move the story forward and show what Winston and the group of recalled agents do next, or whether he has to wait for somebody higher up to give the go ahead for that. And if they aren’t going to move the story forward, then yeah, why keep writers around when they aren’t writing anything?

The flashbacks are usually good, but so is chocolate cake. You can only eat so much chocolate cake before you decide you want to eat something else for a change. I feel like we’ve had so many stories set in the past that we want something happening in the present for a change.

4 Likes