Michael Chu is awesome

Say what you want but in the year he’s been working on things I’ve come to enjoy what he’s put out so far. Is there some Mass Effect 1 level depth? No, but it’s getting there and I just wanted to make a thread appreciating the guy.

I think Overwatch is going to have some quality lore the next year or so, will it come fast? Maybe not, but in Chu I trust.

Given what he’s done for Overwatch I’m inspired to write. Oh yeah, didn’t see that coming did you? That’s right, I’m going to be writing the Roadhog story. A homage to one of the best characters in the game. I mean not really, I wouldn’t dare but I still appreciate the year or two worth of content we’ve gotten from the guy.

Things are gonna be great man.

25 Likes

Nooot sure about that. As a person he seems awsome but his writing seems more on a fanfiction writer level (Like to write myself).

74 Likes

Yeah, I’m sorry, but while I have absolutely nothing against him personally, I have absolutely zero respect for his “writing,” either.

82 Likes

4 Likes

What do you mean fan fiction level? Riddle me uh this. For someone writing lore for an FPS he’s done better then the likes of COD so far, that and he is atleast expanding on some of these overdone cliched personality types we’ve been seeing. Ala Tracer. Who he’s actually turning into someone half decent as a protag.

3 Likes

Seems like a really nice and sweet guy. Love to chat with him and pick his brain, but not including the Ana story we got a while ago, the last year’s writing has been pretty sub-par. After Retribution, we got Ana’s story (good stuff), McCree+Ashe’s story (fine), D.Va’s animation (it was not good/as deep as a Michael Bay film), and Storm Rising (also not that great). That was a year’s worth of work. Granted we got some back story from characters, but Ashe was pretty much already made from the animation, Baptiste is a simple “guy leaves bad guys,” and Wrecking Ball…genetically-engineered space hamster.

He’s normally good (along with the others on the writing team), but this last year has not been the greatest for them.

3 Likes

Some people crap on his writing because they personally disapprove of Gency but they don’t realize the reason they are even emotionally attached to these heroes in the first place is because of Chu’s writing.

Without Chu, the heroes are just CoD characters.

1 Like

So writing an overly clichéd story, of which none of the characters or situations presented are original and are stolen from other works of fiction, qualifies you as being “awesome”? I’ll have to keep that in mind.

14 Likes

What I’m getting at is that he’s doing well with what he has. By the way things are going what else can you do in the world of Overwatch besides play into the cliches? It happens in every story and if you’re expecting some Bioware level writing you’re sadly mistaken not to say he couldn’t write as well if not better then some of Bioware’s former leads.

Nowadays it’s hard not to write into some sort of trope. Doesn’t take away from him as a writer.

Lately the lore is a compilation of cliffhangers that rarely have any pay-off, and they come at a snail’s pace. OW’s story team has to do a lot of work for me to care about the lore again.

36 Likes

I mean, he’s not bad, he just doesn’t do all that much. He’s just there and we’re at the point where we’re questioning why Blizzard even hired lore writers. I don’t see why his current output is worthy of praise.

8 Likes

The writing suffers from a poor use of Chekov’s gun.

Show something that sets up for later events, but instead it takes so long the gun has rusted, replaced with another gun, retconed into a baseball bat or forgotten :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

I agree, but ain’t it against ToS to have a blizzard employee in the title of your post?

1 Like

Playing into clichés is not a problem, every story has at least one cliché. The problem is everything about the story is a cliché, some of which can be classified as stolen from far superior works of fiction.

1 Like

You’re alone there.

He’s had 3 years to ‘get there’. His writing has not improved.

We are drip fed tiny scraps of lore as it is, what prompts you to think that’s going to suddenly change?

Wait what has he done again? We’ve haven’t had a comic in over a year, the closest thing to that we’ve got was a short story in the form of the PDF which could have been written by your average wattpad fanfic writer.

Content? What content?

No, they aren’t.

23 Likes

neat I suppose

What is stolen? If you don’t mind me asking?

In three years of work the Overwatch cast combined has as much personality as my Sonic Forces self-insert from yesterday.

The only thing that’s coming close to being resolved is whatever Genji / Mercy thing spawned from their (beyond all reasonable doubt) strictly professional relationship… but let’s face it: Gency is garbage and his excuse to write mushy fanfiction content for a storyline that otherwise has no place for it. Chu doesn’t get writer points for that one.

4 Likes

yes they are? I mean I’m waiting to see where is all of the lore that got you guys hooked in the first place. Where is all of this depth, that got you so hooked? /

For an FPS game he’s gotten pretty dang far, and it is a wonder to me how you all can insult the man’s writing as if it were no better then ‘fanfiction’ the story is just as good as some other titles out there. Is it super in depth? Of course not don’t be foolish but from what’s been built things have gone well.

As fast as you want? No, but well none the less.

What are you even comparing Overwatch’s lore to that has you all looking into it the way you are? if you don’t mind me asking.

idk if the last post went through but yeah I asks you stolen from where exactly?

Oh, that was a joke. My central point is that the romance B-plot has more to it than the thousands of loose threads dangled in front of us and that’s a little unnerving.

5 Likes

Ah I see I see, very interesting insight thank you for sharing

3 Likes