Mercy's damage boost

I’ve heard a lot of people talking about buffs, nerfs, and all that on the forums. A lot of those “nerf (this hero)” posts mention Mercy’s damage boost. If Mercy’s damage boost is a problem as a damage increase overall, then why not scale it depending on who’s being boosted? Maybe it either changes based on role, or even each hero.

Although, it seems like the devs have no clue what they’re doing, so on the off-chance this would be a good idea, it would only be a good idea if the devs had any idea of how to balance the game. At this rate they’d probably set Mercy’s damage boost to 90% on soldier or something silly like that.

This is just a little idea I had, and I’m in no way saying I want this. I’ve never really thought about character reworks before so I’m definitely no expert!

Thoughts?

These are the same people who think her GA is an issue, people just dislike Mercy…

12 Likes

They really should revert ga nerfs and then rework her kit to actually be a triage healer instead of afk behind wall pocketing dps of the season. Maybe they can replace rez/damage boost with more utility or burst healing options. Would be cool if she could get a faster/further ga on low health teammates and give them burst healing on a cooldown something new.

4 Likes

I think keeping the standard 30% damage boost the same for all heroes is a good thing because it is a good litmus test for when a hero does too much damage… since it’s really only been an issue when Blizzard adds some powercrept hero who does way too much damage on a single shot without major drawbacks. The solution is maybe don’t make powercrept heroes who do way too much damage on a single shot without major drawbacks.

If I was going to change damage boost to make it a bit less “sit back and pocket the same four heroes all match long” then I’d look more at limiting the uptime of damage boost. Make it so that she has to be paying attention and looking for key plays to damage boost, and can’t afford to just stand there waiting for Ashe to hit something. But I think that would involve some pretty intense mechanical changes with how damage boost is implemented.

4 Likes

Exactly this. There’s only been a few cases in OW history where damage boost breaks a hero in the meta and it’s been

1. Hanzo’s ult could be damage boosted to damage through Trans in Grav-Dragon meta. Solved with bug fix…
  1. Ashe was released to intentionally be good with Mercy pocket, per Geoff’s own words, and could one shot with Mercy. But even with that, Ashe was meta WITHOUT Mercy in OWL because Ashe was so strong on her own. Solved with a power shift that left Ashe on her own still good but made her unable to one shot with Mercy.
  1. Sojourn was the most busted hero in the game and was meta for an entire season without Mercy, she finally got nerfed to be slightly less busted (although they also made her better at the same time), but Mercy pocket made her back to being busted again. Solved by making Mercy damage boost not effect how fast she gains charge.

It’s only ever been a real issue with post-launch, long ranged hitscan pseudo-snipers who have insane burst damage and anti-dive mobility tools. Maybe that should say something to the Devs about how to NOT design new DPS heroes, idk.

9 Likes

hey aurora, for future references, do you still have the link for this? i remember its from reddit

I haven’t watched the actual video in so long, I just remember it being a stream filmed at the Blizzcon where Ashe was released and it was Geoff + a streamer doing a mini interview while the streamer played the new patch iirc

Sorrry :frowning:

1 Like

Hey, Tatianna and Aurora, I think this is the thread and link you are looking for, I know there is some issue with coding on twitch in, but I think it might be in this thread and/or video.

1 Like

Honestly i respect it.
I can’t play mercy cus i’d get too mad if i was dmg boosting an ashe and she was missing every shot lol.

sadly the twitch link doesn’t work

1 Like

I figured I am trying to search online, but I get results in terms of Reddit, but no link.