🍢 [Mercy] Spear of the Valkyrie

Normal Valkyrie is kinda boring.

Battle Angel Valkyrie is really fun, but you have to stop healing. And you’ll probably get reported if you stop healing.

So here’s an idea:

Caduseus Spear:

• Pressing Q in Valkyrie morphs the staff into a glowing spear of fiery Holy Light.
  • Pressing Left click throws this spear. It deals 100 damage to any enemy within it’s path, and pierces through enemies.
  • Spear falls straight down when it comes in contact with Shields/DM/Deflect.
  • The staff then sets itself hovering vertically, with chain heals. Healing all teammates besides Mercy within range. (I.e. Deployable healing totem).
  • Mercy can also target this spear with Guardian Angel.
  • And reclaim the spear as a staff when next to it by pressing Q again. Reclaiming the staff causes a 3 second cooldown before the staff can be thrown again.
  • Losing vision of the staff for 3 seconds causes the staff to disappear and rematerialize in Mercy’s equipment.
  • The spear cannot take damage, but disappears instantly if Mercy is killed.

By deploying the spear near teammates it allows Mercy to use her pistol to attack enemies. (Aka Really Fun).

It also allows for a really aggressive playstyle if you want to hit an enemy with the spear, then GA in towards the spear, for the killing blows with the pistol.

Gives more options during Valkyrie, some burst impact, and legitimizes Battle Angel mode.

Also it could be stylized to look really awesome.
(Look at Tenor’s post just below here).

48 Likes

This sounds like a perfect Ult for killing giant Hive Worm gods.

(Edit: <3 all you who got the reference.)

Edit 2:

14 Likes

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Hmm, But wouldn’t that go against her being a pacifist?

2 Likes

I mean, they could make it be something similar to that Pacify enemy damage dealt debuff Titanium was thinking about.

I guess?

1 Like

Oryx, Riven… who next?!

Anyway on topic interesting suggestions for Mercy right there.

1 Like

Mercy has never been called a pure pacifist (why would they give her a gun in the first place? And damage boost essentially makes your teammates better at being violent), she’s “a staunch advocate for peace”.

Sometimes people recognize that violence must be used to keep the overall peace, such as when people overthrow tyrannical rulers in revolutions (aka American and Haitian Revolutions).

In fact, I’d say that this ideal perfectly describes Mercy, she’ll do what has to be done, as shown in her lore “Ziegler was opposed to the organization’s militaristic approach to keeping global peace. Ultimately, she recognized that Overwatch offered her the opportunity to save lives on a much larger scale”

3 Likes

Ohh, that makes sense. I completely understand.

1 Like

Huh, thought you were taking about defeating the Níðhöggr.

This is extremely similar to a design I wrote for a Valkyrie character for another game. I like it.

2 Likes

With her crazy regen and mobility during Valk, why not make it a melee attack. Add some real excitement to her. The staff never has to leave her hand then either.

Like Aedric Spear ability from ESO?

Lucio mains laughing in the background. (seriously if that’s reportable I need to be banned for being about 50/50 on each on most maps).

Well the idea I was going for was to free Mercy from her healing obligations, by allowing her to deploy a healing totem. So she can go full on pistol mode.

But I could extra flourishes could be fun for that too.

replace this in rezs place and ill love this so much

Never played, but if it does a decent amount of damage and/or applies a mini stun with each hit like some kind of paralysis.

That sounds really cool. Refine the idea and I think we got something!

1 Like
1 Like

weren’t you the one moaning about the devs only wanting simple solutions?

Simple is usually good. But I guess the goal is essentially to help devs “Fix” their design.

So go for something that that fits the “Valkyrie” aesthetic.

Also at it’s most basic, all it is, is “throw the staff on the ground, now it’s a healing totem that does chain heals. Now you can go full pistol mode on Valk. While the staff does healing by itself.”

Just tossing in the aesthetic flourishes because it would be more Fun. :slight_smile: