Mercy Rework Idea For Impact and Fun

No, I’m not complaining about Mercy’s state or how “bad” she is. My goal is to give Mercy impact, and a higher skill ceiling, while still retaining her low skill floor and newcomer-welcoming nature

That and to make her a bit more fun without breaking her, lol.

Primary Fire - Heal Beam

• 50 HPS (as it is now)
  • ramps up to 70 HPS if Mercy aims at their connected ally.

Power Beam and Guardian Angel stay the same

Rez replaced.

New Ability - Angelic Gift

• Mercy grants one ally a buff, that negates incoming damage except for critical hits. Lasts for 4 seconds. 15 second cooldown.

New Ultimate - Undying Light

• “Heroes Never Die!” has a new meaning.
  • Mercy throws up a large white orb 10 meters above her.
  • Creates a circle of protection that grants the Angelic Gift buff to all allies within it. 20 meter radius.
  • The ultimate can be beaten by destroying the white orb in the air. Has 500 health.
  • Ultimate lasts 10 seconds.

The reason I did this was because it honestly fits Mercy’s character better. Mercy is a doctor, whose goal is to keep people from dying. Resurrect doesn’t actually make sense in this context, as a doctor shouldn’t be trying to fix her mistakes by bringing people back from the dead. So instead I gave her an ability and ultimate that fit the “Heroes Never Die!” ultimate line a lot better, as something that helps KEEP heroes from dying.

Angelic Gift is an ability that Mercy can use more often than Rez, and is countered by pure skill. Landing headshots is the only way to deal damage during the buff. And the ultimate is destroyable, so counters are already in place.

What Angelic Gift and Undying Light do is counter non-critical damage. Melee hits and beam attacks won’t damage someone while under the effects of the buff. This would mean Mercy is a support counter to Doomfist (except his hand gun), Brigitte, Moira, Reinhardt, Zarya, Winston, Symmetra, etc. They can still CC the target, but without headshots it won’t be damage.

This will incentivize characters like Soldier, McCree, and the like in comps against her.

What do you guys think?

6 Likes

Angelic buff on dragon blading Genji no thank you

4 Likes

Basically this. That said at least it’s pretty creative.

2 Likes

Well, honestly nobody can kill a nano’d Genji anyway. There is already plenty of things in the game that make him nigh unstoppable.

You’d still be able to stun/boop/hack him, and land headshots. McCree would be great for this in fact. The effects of the ability only last a few seconds (and the numbers can be tweaked).

As for the ultimate version of it, Genji would only have that buff if he’s in the circle, and as a stationary ult, it would be better on defense. Ults are meant to be comboed anyway.

You’d still make Genji useless with a Zen ult, so I don’t really see why it’s that big of a deal.

There is an ability in LOL that you use on someone and if they get killed in a certain time limit they come back to life, you could call this Angelic gift and replace Rez. People could do stupid things and get rezed but Mercy wouldn’t be in danger, and it would have a decent amount of counter play.

Trying to think how that would work.

Like have it so that she can frequently cast the ability on live heroes.
And she can’t give the buff to a dead hero.
And if the buff is on a dead hero, and she doesn’t cast it on someone else, that she can cast it again on the dead hero to rez.

If she casts it on a live hero they would have, let’s say, 6 seconds. During those 6 seconds everything would be normal but if they die they would be automatically rezed. So you would cast it on a Rein and have him charge in, the enemy would have to choose to get him low and wait out the buff, or chew threw his HP twice quickly.

There would need to be a mark above the Reins head (In LOL it’s an hourglass) so the enemy team knew what was going on. In LOL it reverts their health back to when the ability was cast, so you can’t just use it on someone who is about to die.

i should say the ultimate is making circle barrier that expand to air infinite like sym but give buff like 20-50 hps? the size about winston bubble
have 500 hp and enemy cannot go through barrier

I can already imagine an unkillable bastion who’se head hitbox is behind him, or Hammond rolling around being invulnerable because his head is hidden inside the ball. Do stuns and other CC work during Angelic Gift?

Also I think that giving invulnerability to the whole team would be pretty OP, many heroes cannot even headshot. In lower Elos Mercy would become an increadibly high picked character

ok, but where’s the fun part?

2 Likes

It’s stuff like this that always comes to mind when it comes to “death prevention”/temporary invulnerability/damage reduction/cc invuln/etc, abilities.

The idea of it being on something like a Dragonblade makes it so difficult to sell people on.

From a hardcore “bring back mass rez” supporter:

The concept behind Undying Light… Actually sounds epic enough to replace rez. The version you’ve proposed could use a few tweaks (details like it’s range and such), but overall it’s definitely caught my eye.

I’d put something different on E, though. I’d either want Vaccine or Pacify.

Vaccine: makes a teammate resistant or immune to cc, and grants a bit of damage resistance.

Pacify: debuffs an enemy’s damage for a short period of time, and makes their cc less effective.

1 Like

I think your rework is creative but would not work in the game.

First off : the healing with the aiming thing would be buggy af and also it would be too strong in my opinion, 70hps non stop (cause aiming is not that hard) that’s too much.

Your E ability that’s also way too strong, first because that mean you make many people useless (Ana, Rein, Brig etc…) but also because if you put that on a Nano Blade you deny any chance of countering him (in highers ranks that does happen and that would make him too strong) but you can extend that to basically all Flankers (Doom who’s already quite annoying you can’t even damage him with your poor support).

The ulti :
Wayyyyy too strong, you’re basically making your team unkillable because 20m is a lot, 10s is really long, and even though you can destroy the orb, that means focusing on something else and letting the ennemy team do as they please.

Basically that would make her way too strong.

2 Likes

+1 for creativity.

Things I don’t like:
Don’t know why the most consistent healer should be able to dish out 70 HPS just for placing her crosshair on the target her beam is locked on to. There is really no risk to it as failing to do so just lowers her healing output. It’s a skill ceiling increase with a safety net.

The trend right now is that there is too much burst healing which makes DPS that aren’t capable of 1 shotting pretty much useless overall.
Ana heals a lot, has Nade and her ult. She is basically capable of bringing a tank from the brink of death back to full health.
Brig with her Repair Pack is basically a nano heal on a cooldown, even more so with a nano buff.
Basically designed to rob people of their effort if they can’t 1 shot.

Your Angelig Gift basically follows that same trend, even making some heroes incapable of doing damage to the target. It’s also unclear whether CC effects will affect the target.
It also allows for even more disgusting synergy with Pharah and other ults like Dragon Blade.

The ult seems like the broken version of Zen’s ult but by the way you describe it, there is some counterplay to it.

Basically everything AngelRoar said.

Also want to know how it works with other ults, because from the looks of it you just made your entire team immune to every DPS ult in the game besides EMP since technically none of them can crit.

Edit: You also dont mention the ult requiring LoS which means you could just toss it up 20m near the point somewhere behind natural map cover. Please dont expect a flanker to be able to locate then kill a 500 hp orb floating 10ms somewhere.

Absolutely Broken.
4 seconds of only headshot characters being able to do ANYTHING against the target. Think Pharamercy is powerful? Wait until the only way to take Pharah out of the air is get a headshot with widow or two headshots with McCree.

Or alternatively, like Zileon, maybe mercy could throw her “e” res on an enemy BEFORE they die, that way it’s a skill shot that can miss and she has to be in proper positioning and have game sense awareness to throw her e to someone who’s about to die. If the person does not die with Mercy’s “e” on them, then nothing happens.

The basic idea is good, but 70 hp is way to much.

That would make most dps immortal for 4sec …. totally OP.

Again … the basic concept sounds nice, but it’s to OP.

You’re right guys. .n. Just trying to think of something that’s smarter than “bring back mass Rez” as a thing.

Guess I’m terrible at this.

The only reason I suggested that it make crits the only way to beat this, was because

• so many people complain about no aim heroes being meta. What if all of them were bad against something?
  • Doomfist is being complained about a lot, as with Brigitte. If they can’t deal damage but still CC, then they can’t get much done.

I will take everything that gets entirely rid of valk and e-rez. You have some pretty creative idea here with your ultimate and e-ability. But like Silawatsi said.

This seems a bit more reasonable as a normal ability so you cant make an ulting Reaper/Gengu or whatever else to hard to deal with. Otherwise I would advise you to post your ideas in Titaniums thread as well.