Mercy rant (20 char)

I hate having her on my team.

Most times people pick her at the beginning of the match and never swap. Even when the tanks and DPS don’t synergize well with her AT ALL.

I get blamed as Ana/Bap for not keeping tanks alive (nevermind the insane amount of damage nowadays) but mercy doesn’t get called out? Why give that player a participation trophy for literally doing the least?

My biggest issue is boosted players and pocket buddies. Playing tank with these players are horrible because you will not get priority over the Ashe or McCree, which means the other support will have to work 2x as hard to keep us alive. It’s fairly obvious who’s in a group now when the mercy chooses to Rez the same person every time :slight_smile:

There’s almost never a situation where picking mercy is good unless you have 2 DPS that benefit from damage boost. Other than that she’s a useless hero that has underwhelming healing and zero damage potential.

Still don’t understand why Moira heals more than mercy despite mercy’s lack of kill potential but that’s a whole other rant I won’t get into.

EDIT: The comments help clarify things, I ranted too hard and it’s a little unclear.

12 Likes

The problem with Mercy right now is that her fun level significantly decreases if you play her in a good comp for her. There is no-one who enjoys being a pocket, and that includes Mercy players. So to actually have fun with Mercy, you don’t pick her with an Ashe. Pretty sad, but that’s how it is, pocketing an Ashe 70% of the game is effective, but also super boring.

So? I’ll play all my mains even if it’s not the most optimal comp to play them in. Teamcomp isn’t everything, in fact it’s pretty little in low ranks.

It’s not her job, in fact, Mercy even helps you with that better than other Off Healers, she does more healing than Zen and even Lucio. It’s your job to keep the tanks alive.

Why do you think that Mercy is doing nothing just because she’s not pumping healing into your Rein?

I mean, I have an issue with it too, as a Mercy player, that being that this is literally the best way to play Mercy right now. Super boring, but effective. And no, not every Mercy with a blue beam out is duoing or boosted.

It doesn’t. You don’t have to worry about two players of your team. That leaves you with keeping alive 3 and if you get in trouble, then that becomes Mercys job to come back and help you. Healing three or even two players while your DPS are ditching out insane amount of damage isn’t hard, it’s again the best way to play with a Mercy currently.

Or I just know what our win condition is or what rez is the safest. If it’s a choice between the Rein in the middle of the enemy team and a Widow safely on the highground, you best believe I’m going to rez that Widow.

That’s irrelevant in most ranks. She’s not good at almost anything, but she also isn’t terrible.

Then you’re gonna cry pocket lol

I think you don’t quite understand how she works.

Because Mercy’s healing is consistent, Moira’s isn’t. Because Mercy has actual utility, Moira doesn’t.

42 Likes

someone call the whambulance

62 Likes

That’s the main problem with Mercy which no one wants to face. She’s a pocket healer.I believe that’s why her healing was nerfed. That’s why pharah will never be viable.

3 Likes

To be fair thats because you SHOULD be keeping the tanks alive, while Mercy should be focusing the dps. Her healing is not good enough for tanks.

That being said I dont think EITHER of you should be called out, just that its a little ridiculous to be wanting her to get called out for something thats not her job.

18 Likes

I dislike having one on my team and usually leave when one gets picked, but I love having one on the enemy team.

85% of the time, a Mercy will turn one kill into a triple kill by resurrecting the person that died, then dying themselves and the person resurrected is killed again.

And even if it doesnt happen that way, 95% one of the two will die within 10 seconds if the Mercy doesnt die trying to get the rez, so you’ll atleast get a double kill out of it.

And the only times everyone stays alive after is when the Mercy is hiding to rez and being useless to her team for almost 2 seconds (and an additional 2 for the person that was resurrected) or after a fight is already over in which case Mercy didnt do anything to have an impact or help win a fight.

Ana has bionad which is not only at half the cooldown, has insane versatility in its use and doesnt require failure on the part of multiple people to even be used.

And with Zenyatta’s revert to discord orb, his discord is objectively better than Mercy’s damage boost again for its versatility as it allows everyone to get the damage boost INCLUDING Zenyatta himself while also being able to heal.

That being said, I also hate having a Mercy on my team but I love getting free kills from one on the enemy team.

5 Likes

I define utility in terms of versatility and none of Mercy’s abilities have the versatility that every other support has. For resurrect, it requires failure from multiple people to even be used and locks her out of being useful for almost 2 seconds.

COmpare to other abilities that dont have requirements to be used like that and have more than 1 use, like Bionade.

Even discord orb which is objectively better all while allowing Zenyatta to not be interrupted.

Damage boost is neat, but ultimately when you combine the damage she deals and the damage amplified, its much less than the damage provided by every other support.

I agree that Mercy’s healing should be lower than Moiras due to the consistency of the healing, but Mercy doesnt have much utility in my eyes since none of her abilities have any versatility.

2 Likes

There’s absolutely no way Ana can keep Rein alive and another 500hp+ tank at the same time. Even mercy swooping in for 1 second makes all the difference when a cool down is near ready.

I said this because 9/10 in my games the mercy will never even be near the team, she’ll be perched on a ledge with an Ashe.

To me it seems like she can never win in any situation, she can be the best mercy player but there will always be a better choice that could make a much larger impact. It’s like playing Solider when you can play Ashe or McCree, he’s not bad but compared to them he’s not great.

Just buff her heals, and rez and valk then 5head

2 Likes

Right, but healing doesnt really mean all that much.

When the game was very new and before Ana was released, Mercy was the only main healer and as such saw a lot of play in lower ranks.

However, in high tier and tournament play, Mercy was virtually never played and Lucio and Zenyatta were picked over her (that may have been more to her having the worst support ultimate but thats another discussion).

I’d rather have 2 off healers than a Mercy and an off healer.

Moth meta all over again.

3 Likes

Darling, trust me, now that Genji is running rampant, you REALLY don’t want to see me playing Ana, or even Bapt for that matter. Because I heal whooping 0 when I’m dead.

6 Likes

I was being sarcastic lmao… but tbh Mercy is the only support that hasn’t been meta since Moth meta… We’ve had moira/lucio, Bap/Zen, dpsBap, Ana/Brig and a few other combos… but with a roster of 7 she hasn’t been an optimal pick in what 2 years?

She might be fine, but she hasn’t been good/best in a long time.

In my experience people blame the Mercy player the most, even when you’re winning :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Keeping tanks alive is literally the easiest part of playing Ana.
Whats hard about her is hitting her sleep/using nade at a good opportunity.

No one wants to play meta all the time, and sometimes theyre just not that great at other heroes.

Remember that Mercy is in the same rank as you. Theyre playing at the same level you are.

10 Likes

Sorry I understand your tanks’ anger but wow if they blame you then please avoid them or smtn, you don’t flame someone for missing their shots.

Also, mercy is designed to be more of a pocket-healer and she works best when paired with squishier heroes like the DPS since she provides somewhat enough healing to sustain the DPS’s low health pool. Ana/Bap has massive amounts of burst healing for the tanks to sustain them so honestly you’re comparing heroes that are very different.

Pocket buddies are definitely an annoyance especially when they pocket your DPS while the only healing you’re getting is from Zen. In the case where Mercy’s paired with Lucio/Zen/Brig, the Mercy player should play as the main healer and focus on the team more than specific DPS.

If the supports have high burst-heals or just high heals in generals then Mercy is honestly more free to act as a pocket-healer and damage boost DPS. I’m not sure what rank you play in but I rarely come across situations like these whether or not I play support.

Technically everyone can be able to benefit from dmg boost (common e.g. Rein firestrike, Ana nade) but I get what you mean if what you’re saying is that they will always prioritize the DPS.

Her healing is somewhat alright considering that she can heals 55hp/s at any given time without fail, no cooldowns, no reloading. I find her healing to be quite consistent.

The zero damage potential I’m not sure what you mean? I guess you’re saying that she doesn’t have the ability to damage ppl in a fight which is honestly alright since it compensates for unlimited heals.

Mercy does have kill potential however it is normally during valk.

2 Likes

It’s funny, I’m a Mercy/Ana/Moira main primarily, and my issue is more often than not people who pick Ana and refuses to switch despite constantly getting killed when being dived by flankers… and if they do end up switching for some unholy reason they switch to Zen as if that would make them more survivable? I love Ana myself, but if I’m struggling to stay alive the most natural switch is to Moira, especially if you have a Mercy that can then focus more on damage boosting than healing.

Note, I’m on console so Ana does struggle more there in general.

7 Likes

I guess yes, but I don’t think she needs to be meta.

Like Reinhardt shes supposed to be the intro and easy hero and both of them still are, even if Reinhardt despite being so easy no one has a problem with him being meta all the time and being used from bronze to GM but I digress.

Mercy should be viable but she shouldnt be better than her other options and I don’t know what they could do to her other than removing resurrect entirely since its the one thing that either always held her back or made her too strong.

Even when she was the only main healer in the game, high tier play rarely saw her because her ultimate was bad and after many buffs they tried to give her invulnerability which made her ult uncounterable and even the worst abilities get insane when you give them an invulnerability effect. It still wasnt good enough for her to see play and so they reworked her and tried to make her stronger but went a bit too far.

In all honestly they should have just made it so Valkyrie doesnt interact with Resurrect at all and left it at that. 1 instant resurrect on a 30 second cooldown was something they never did as they went straight to adding the cast time but leaving the double rez in valk which was too strong.

They probably never will do that because people will think its too strong, but the fact is the problem with Valkyrie was how it interacted with Resurrect to either reset the cooldown, reduce it, or grant another charge. And because it was a solo resurrect you didnt have to worry about how far apart people were to rez them together, or if there were dead within the same 10 second interval because you could just rez them as they fell, and that was a big restriction on resurrect that made it so that even though it was instant and aoe as her ult, she still had trouble using it succesfully.

Tell me about it, if I’m on tank and someone not in voice insta locks mercy it’s already feeling like an uphill battle

Anecdote time!
Only placement I lost on tank was due (in large part) a mercy otp we had double barrier double hitscan brig mercy, we stop the cart just shy of the corner, on our attack round the mercy spam selects and deselected moira, and our other support switched off of brig to moira like our mercy could’ve swapped but they got the brig, who hands down carried this far instead of abandoning mercy.

TLDR; I don’t hate mercy players but I do hate mercy otps who play in every game, every comp always

2 Likes

And that’s about as big of a waste was using it to rez.

Whatever damage she could deal is going to be much less than what she is going to amplify.

Unless there is someone out of reach that no other teammates can kill then maybe, but if thats the case then it means there isnt a fight going on that you’re supporting.

Like I mentioned before, even if you combine her own damage and the damage amplified by her, its much less than the damage dealt from every other support.