Mercy (open dialogue)

Consistent balance. Obviously that’s an issue with every hero. But when you create a hero that is well-loved above and beyond almost any other hero, you need to take extra care- from a business perspective. They’re harming their business by harming one of their best products in the game. She ain’t my favorite hero at all, but I see clearly how much Mercy is loved. It was stupid of them to be careless with her.

6 Likes

Personally I think the devs designed themselves into a corner. They wanted an ability to bring back an entire team, and they wanted to at least in part guarantee that the hero casting the ability lived to be part of the next teamfight.

This was always going to be abused, and anything short of invuln would have the same issue that S1 Mercy had - in that the ability would be too inconsistent in value on average to belong on a hero with such a bare kit as pre rework Mercy (but the potential impact is so high that it necessitated such a kit). This is why Mercy was always a lackluster hero with Mass Rez.

Honestly just a revert.

You cant buff her (unless its her healing) or she’ll be somehow OP, you cant nerf her because whats there to nerf? She’ll just be dumpster fire. And with how most of the community feels especially Mercy players, regarding her gameplay, this iteration of Mercy is just…a mess.

No rework requires 6 or more consecutive nerfs and even after the 3rd nerf, it means the rework itself is just bad to begin with.

Just revert her with some additional tweaks; Rez is an ult with LoS requirement and a 0.8s cast time so it allows players to counter her in time to stop her ult like how Lucios ult works. Valk is now her E ability so that she can manuever and play around more, (just flight, no chain beams, just flight), 3s for 15s cd.

2 Likes

I don’t think they told the player base the real reason. I think it’s because she was a Tyrant Neptune: a weak hero but her abilities had the potential to completely break the game if someone figured out how to abuse it. And this is the same player base that turned McCree from a flanker counter to a hero that gets countered by flankers, so the potential is definitely there.

Anyway, when Tyrant Neptune got banned (despite no one using him besides me) it let the devs design their game much more freely and revive tactics that had been long dead and had to stay dead because of Tyrant Neptune synergy.

To this day, my Neptune is still banned, but I understand that the overall game is better for it.

I’ll be honest…im very anti revert.

In fact if I had it my way rez would be gone altogether in place of something new

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I think the rework was a mess, but I don’t think a hero should be given special consideration when it comes to balance just due to the size of the hero’s fanbase. Hard decisions should be made, because if a hero is blatantly being babied then it pisses off the mains of literally every other hero.

1 Like

Comparing Mercy to a game such as Yugioh isn’t very helpful, because Yugioh has thousands of potential cards and strategies you can use, ultimately we’re stuck with 5 healers and 3 main healers. If there was simply more supports I would switch off Mercy, but there isn’t, and there’s nobody that even offers an alternative to what we have.

1 Like

Yeah and that’s the other side of the problem. She was too strong for too long. An easy-to-play hero shouldn’t be that strong. So the git gud crowd got mad- rightfully so. They should have realized from the beginning and just kept her tightly balanced. They knew what they were doing when they made her. She is the cleric of OW. There are lots of gamers that want to play the female cleric dressed in white and cute-as-hell. That’s why they made her in the first place. They dropped the ball from the beginning.

Edit: And again it’s about the business side of things. They are reaping what they have sown.

I’m not inherently anti-revert. I just don’t think it would actually solve much other than the nebulous idea of fun, which is subjective anyway. Mass Rez Mercy was perennially UP. It would also unleash a whole other can of worms that was partially already opened with the whole Roadhog debacle.

Mercy has suffered in one way or another directly because of Rez since beta, and I don’t think this saga will ever really go away unless the ability goes the way of the dodo. I don’t have faith in Blizzard’s ability to balance it so that the hero can be both fun and balanced, as it is the hero is either broken because Rez is too valuable or they exist only to Rez because the rest of her kit is a downgrade to the other main healers.

You guys wonder why these threads keep getting locked. You are basically telling them they are doing a bad job while using a format they completely control.

All they have to do is pretend a little that their vague ToS is being violated on the forums and lock you down/ban you.

What they are doing is nothing special. Just typical crappy human nature.

I find it strange that Blizzard is refusing to roll back on changes.

Riot Games was willing to admit that the Kog’Maw Marksman rework was a huge flop and they reverted him back to his original form.

My problems with Mercy arose when she got that stupid invulnerability buff on Mass Rez that she DID NOT need.

Her old ult countered ult-stacking, which lets be honest is very prevalent in ranks below Master, (yes even in Diamond where I am), because some players are trigger happy or over eager for team wipes.

But now that I’m a higher rank, I understand that Mass Rez punished bad plays more than good ones.

The Hide-And-Seek argument was stupid too because you play Hide-And-Seek with Reaper and McCree as well, (2 heroes with easily interruptible ultimates), and I think the devs misunderstood how only bad Mercy players would do this.

If anything, I wouldn’t mind Mercy’s ult being Mass Rez again with Valkyrie being shifted to her E (for a defensive ability):

1. Ability Valkyrie would last about 3-5 seconds
  2. Mass Rez would require an unblocked LoS to Mercy from the target
  3. She is no longer invulnerable while casting it.
3 Likes

The devs have been and will continue to make more supports, and they didn’t ban Mercy anyway, they changed her. Valkyrie was intended to still be a play maker, until it got nerfed to the ground. Mercy could use a Whole Hog, a weak but fun ultimate that can still have its moments, none of this Valk or Rez crap. Btw, Whole Hog is my favorite ultimate, so I know the devs can come up with something fun and balanced for Mercy.

1 Like

This is an open dialogue thread…i want people on both sides of the argument to speak freely.

If that gets locked then oh well lol

Baseline rez is her problem. Breaking her entire kit to balance rez is simply not a good idea.

She needs more serious changes, and I do not think rez as a basic ability works.

3 Likes

What would you do?

I think new Mercy is fine, although her last nerf went a little too far and she is probably slightly underpowered now.

I think her mains are upset for a combination of reasons, many of which don’t have anything to do with the inherent quality of the rebuild.

1. New coke effect - some people just don’t like her because she replaced Mercy 1.0.
  2. Brigading - the constant influx of posts talking about how much Mercy sucks now can make people biased against her new state.
  3. Mercy players were just overpowered for nine months and are now slightly underpowered. This would make any hero feel awful, frankly.
  4. People have gotten sick of playing her, but they don’t recognize it because they have other excuses for why they’re not enjoying her now.

Anyways, because all of that, I think any additional reworks are doomed to failure. A revert would help temporarily, but it would feel as a huge betrayal for everyone who went through Mercywatch, as it effectively means it was for nothing. Ultimately, though, a revert would just run into the same problems Mercy 1.0 ran into - mass rez is cheap and horrible and everyone hates it. Nerf it and we’ll be right back to “Mercy doesnt feel impactful anymore” again.

1 Like

Okay, mature discussion about Mercy.

The devs have done all but said outloud that they don’t want Multi-Rez.

So repeatedly asking them for Multi-Rez isn’t constructive.

It really depends at this point because, whats there to lose if she loses her rez.

But, design wise of her character and how far we’ve come, i think its impossible for her to lose her rez because that would make people more angrier. With all the fanart, advertising, and how it would take away part of her character, you know “Heroes Never Die!”.

It’ll look like the devs got lazy and just gave up on it.

Im up for a revert because well, the game is WAY different than it was back in, 2017. Most suggestions allows counterplay to rez like the LoS and cast time i said, I mean ever since her rework we’ve gotten, more CC to the game and Hammond whose ult can prevent Mercy from flying to her team to rez them.

You and I may have disagreement about this, but what Im saying is a revert might not sound so bad with everything else added to the game already. Just a thought.

1 Like

Honestly? I’d either put rez back as an ult with LoS and cast time added, and rather than invincibility she would get a full heal i she successfully rezs people. That would fix the initial issues people had with mas rez.

Put valk on a short duration with a longish CD (15 seconds?) maybe rather than beams focus on stronger single target heals during valk.

This would give mercy an ability that provides safety and emphasizes her main role as a single target healer. It also adds more impactful decision making, do you valk to save your teammate? Do you save it to save yourself? Etc.

I’m open to plenty of other ideas, including the removal of rez entirely.

I don’t think she should get any straight revert, but rez as a basic ability is… problematic.

2 Likes

How about Mercy 3.0?
We got another Symmetra rework, why can’t Mercy get another one?

As long as Res isn’t a basic ability, I’m fine with it.
(also b4 people start shunning me for my opinion, I’m just a support player. Leave me be.)

2 Likes