Mercy on the Experimental: Good Foundation, Poor Execution

But,

Does any of this really make a differance?

There was a fairly decent sized, positive in nature, thread about how people who play Mercy water her to be changed in December of 2016.

We were all throwing around ideas in regard to Kaplan saying that Mass Resurrect was too punishing when used without living team members. This was before the idiot mistake of making Mercy invulnerable during the cast.

Mercy on experimental now was the exact same thing pretty much everyone thought was the best direction… In December… Of 2016. We shouldn’t have had to wait until 2022 for Blizzard to let “personality players” decide to take an old idea and make it fresh.

Then, at the end of the day, it’s all for nothing if Blizzard doesn’t keep the change and let the rightful ultimate take its place in the game again. Who cares if we can play real Mercy for 3 weeks and then go back to the Valkyrie imposter for the rest of time.

My opinion, too little, too late.

3 Likes

As I already said, the Forums don’t constitute a valid source of evidence in the slightest. This is just another reason why:

Moth Mercy seems to have created a bigger outcry amongst the community for reasons entirely unrelated to the new design itself, because of its ludicrous numerical balance. It continued to exist well, well into 2018, and left a major scar either way, rendering the stats you’re providing as even more invalid than before.

The only thing that’s objective when it comes to this subject is its very subjectivity. Tons of arguments have been brought up both backing up the existence of Mercy’s design problems and denying it, ac well las counter arguments to both said stances.

No one has the right to elevate his subjective view as the objective truth, because anyone can debate against your arguments as well.

If what you provided is supposedly “the evidence” of this, then you’ll have to find new stats to hold on, I’m afraid. You certainly have arguments though, even if I managed to debate against all of them in one of your YT videos regarding Mercy (The Mercy Rework - Part 3: The Numerical Absurdity of "Hide and Rez" - YouTube)

I don’t have much to add when it comes to this subject.

I disagree. Like, even if we ignore the actual community, even the devs themselves (who are supposedly experts in their fields) have clearly changed their minds on Mercy 1.0 and you can be sure it wasn’t a universal agreement between them.

It’s still called Mass Ressurect though and can output the exact same value and type of value as Mass Rez. Sure, its underpowered state does heavily decrease the chance of outputting said value (and rightfully so), but that doesn’t prohibit it from existing. You don’t stop referring to Widowmaker headshots as one - shots because they are very hard to land.

That’s the thing, I don’t have to debate against invalid evidence.

Because context matters. People will always hate it when they die in a PvP game, but they will detest it when the situation that led to their death involved little to no way for them to defend themselves and/or the enemy killed them with little effort from their part, etc.

You have to look no further than IRL life as well. People hate it when someone does better, or even as well as them by using shortcuts and/or not putting the same effort as they did into something, at least according to them.

Please equate the two in your mind for the sake of the conversation, because, as I said, you don’t have the right to elevate your own view as the objective truth.

In this environment, both our stances are what we “believe” to be fair.

Not exclusively so at all. The overall statistical performance of heroes we to which we have access doesn’t reflect the balance sate of each of their individual abilities, nor anything else related to the situational value of each hero (which in a game like Overwatch is absolutely crucial).

Even if you disagree with the logical distinction I brought up, which is your right, well at this point is where the opinions of the majority of the player base (not the Forum player base) and/or dev team come into pace.

Okay, but one has to decide. Will you “kill” the fun of a major portion of Mercy mains, or of the general player base that doesn’t main Mercy.

It is a tough choice, but it must be ultimately made up to an extent and personally, I consider anything other than leaning towards what the majority of the player base wants as completely unreasonable.

According to who, exactly?

This is all very fair. Even though it’s a different thing to compare the damage that no CC will cause to the entire game to what no Mass Rez has caused to the Mercy player base, your argument about middle grounds still stands.

And I do agree that middle grounds are always the best. Hence why I haven’t expressed completely negative feelings against Mass Rez even once after the EXP’s implementation.

My stance is this: Mass Rez can exist in this game, only if it’s kept in - check numerically. Meaning, it must have a noticeable cast time, a reasonable range and LOS check.

You can make it charge faster, but that’s about it. Any other buffs and we run into the risk of Mass Rez rearing its ugly head balance - wise and it becoming the low skill - high reward mess that got it removed in the first place.

And you believe the opposite. Like, I don’t get what’s the problem here, unless you’re engaging in the delusional, arrogant mistake of considering only your opinions as subjective facts.

Needless to say they aren’t. My stance backed up by my argumentation has the exact same weight as yours.

Here you go:

From the same time period as the second poll you provided. Reportedly, over 60% of participants are Support mains.

I really doubt that.

It is a fight - winning advantage. Sure, in a literal sense, they’re not the same thing, but that isn’t gonna yield anything more than a slight loosening of the conditions I previously set up for such Ultimates.