Mercy doesn't need to be one of the most picked hero all the time

She’s been one of the most popular hero since day 1, she’s been insanely OP for almost a year and now that she’s not at the top she’s in a “bad state” she is “trash” and people even call her an “off healer” but never suggest any change they’d like to see.

The problem with mercy is that she’s one of the easiest hero to handle, and nothing’s wrong with that, but being able to heal so easily, with such great mobility and having the ability to rez a teammate is kind of a big deal, so here we are :

• Do you want Mercy’s healing output buffed ? Should mercy be able to heal more than Ana who needs to aim and reload and can miss her shots ? -> Mercy dominates again
  • Do you want Mercy’s rez to be more easier to pull off ? And make her instantely a must pick again ?
  • Do you want to make mercy’s mobility even crazier than it already is ?

My point is Mercy needs to be bad at something. She NEEDS. Even Ana who is actually the best healer is fairly easy to take down due to her lack of mobility and survivability option.
Any buff to mercy would make her dominate the support roster and y’all know it. As a Mercy player since day one, she has always been (and still is) a good alternative to provide proper healing in a simple way.
Maybe the devs’ stats don’t show how her state is “bad”, maybe she’s just OK, like average, not OP, not UP, but just OK. And maybe that’s actually FINE. Maybe Mercy shouldn’t have all this power and do so much with minimal efforts.

23 Likes

I don’t know it because it’s not true. The other supports got significant buffs in August and Mercy was about equal with Moira for months after the January nerf and before Brig and Hanzo made the meta really favourable for her and bad for Moira.

Wrong. Mercy heals a lot more than Ana on average right now yet she is obviously much weaker than Ana.

40 Likes

Quite the opposite, actually. There are countless threads with suggestions how to rework Mercy.

Kinda true, but Ana is defined by more than just her healing. There’s a lot of utility with sleep dart, nano and bionade, whereas Mercy mostly heals - she cannot heal and do damage (or buff someone else for that matter) at the same time, and the damage itself is… well, lackluster. Hell, I’d even get rid of the pistol altogether, if thats the cost for her rework.

Nah, man. Those new CC abilities and ultimates like Hammond’s one or the one Torb just got would just delete Mass rez as it was used before. And there are a lot of suggestions how to balance it out - cast time, more counters, getting rid of invulnerability, creating a special “mostly dead” state for characters etc. It’s not that clear-cut, as you make it seem.

You could nerf her regen (not healing), and she’d be pretty easy to take down.

Nah, mobility-wise I think she’s still pretty ok.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless you have some access to actual dev’s stats, there is no way of knowing for sure.

22 Likes

just so you know mercy does 50 hps and ana does 80 hps plus her nade buff if its used, so there is no healing more because its incomparable. if we are being completely honest ana has the highest heal potential and with her new nano buff she prevent sticky situations by not only saving their life but a huge damage buff and completely turning the fight. Mercy ult currently does nothing to turn fights and doesn’t do any extra healing other than the useless chain heal. Thats the big issue is the ultimates, Mercy’s ult heal is the exact same as her normal heal (50 hps). This means she cant even save a team mate from Winston’s primary fire, pathetic right? So currently the only thing her ult provides for her team that her normal kit doesn’t do is the chain heal/dmg boost. Everything else is completely for herself (the mobility, distance, fast health regen.). which, in my opinion, isn’t really supporting the team any more than usual. If you compare her ult to other supports every single one of them provides burst of game changing healing/armor, that completely turn fights. So instead of focusing on her main kit we should buff her ult instead.

6 Likes

Here, I’ll list the changes I want :

• Mercy’s healing output increases over time (50/55/60). It increases for every 4 seconds of healing done, and decreases for 8 seconds without healing.
  • I’d make Rez part of Valk. Rez would be usable after having activated the ult, by pressing Q. One charge, single-target only, 1 second of cast time. The mid-fight Rez would go away, and would allow Mercy to have…
  • One or two new abilities to give her a good mid-fight. A cleanse, castable invincibility (under 1 second)… I’m not sure.
  • I’d nerf damage boost. +30% dmg on a zero second cooldown is pretty strong, perhaps Mercy’s only really strong point as of now. +24% would be more balanced, imo.

I think it would it make Mercy viable without making her a must-pick.

11 Likes

OP, I’ll ask you one simple question. And it’s this:

Every hero has the potential to make “big plays”.
Pull off a critical action that defines a teamfight. In general, pulling that off is valuable and skillful, and is usually an ultimate.

So, what is Mercy’s valuable, skillful, “big play” ability or ultimate?

25 Likes

This is pretty much exactly what i wanted, i never thought about heals over time but i think that would be fun idea to implement. They already did it with sym primary fire, so why not with mercy heal beam, although i think syms is way higher, but she has to aim now so it makes up for it. One thing though, i like dmg boost where it is not many mercy players know how to use it correctly/when to use it, so it kinda adds a slight skill factor anyways.

1 Like

Okay I see a lot of suggestions

8 Likes

she gets to fly. ZOOM ZOOM

1 Like

Not really no, I don’t see it pathetic… if your teammate cannot kill the Winston while being pocketed by Mercy they deserve to die.

2 Likes

Right? i was thinking that too, i’ve been all over the forums and seen tons of suggestions, maybe they didn’t do as much research as they claim. :thinking:

3 Likes

Before the rework she wasn’t one of the most picked, but she had impact. Now she doesn’t have it either

1 Like

I really don’t like this. I feel like it makes her more of a healbot. To get maximum healing you would solely focus on healing. Other supports can easily do damage and add something to the fight. Making mercy focus more on healing isn’t the way to go I think. She needs more utility.

Also, for weaknesses as the OP said, even blizz said her weakness was that she was a strong solo healer. But with her ult, they got rid of that weakness.

1 Like

I wasn’t refering to her non-ulting kit because thats a given, it was more of a comparison because every other support ult could do this, not so much mercy’s.

She’s been one of the most popular hero since day 1

This isn’t true, she was considered a troll pick after Ana’s release for a very long time.

Nobody wants Mercy to dominate, people just want her to be more engaging and more fun.

10 Likes

I guess the OP missed all the megathreads worth of feedback that was ignored for nearly a year, plus many other threads since the ignored feedback megathread practice was shutdown originally by mass flags that locked the megathread.

Still, her current state is unsatisfactory. Her win rate is around 48% which means she’s a little underpowered, but her current kit is extremely boring and barely impactful (except res) while power is all over the place. Resurrect as a standard ability on a fixed cooldown is a terrible idea.

2 Likes

This is also true, Ana was extremely popular between season 2-6, (give or take a season), it wasn’t so much mercy was bad, Ana’s kit just had so much more to offer. While it’s true they wanted to make her more engaging and fun, it was also because a majority of the player base hated mass rez because even though they had a huge team wipe mercy would swoop in and completely destroyed what they they just did.

Also, I’m trying to give positive feedback to other people’s post because the only time i see someone replying is to either disagree or just to be rude.
Happy postings~

1 Like

You are kind of right. The current iteration of Mercy can not be balanced. She’s either underpowered or overpowered. That’s due to Rezz being on a cooldown Ability which will never be balanced. That’s exactly why Mercy needs a completely new rework or a revert. Mercy 1.0 could have been balanced so easily by changing some small numbers and removing invulnerability but current Mercy can not.
Most Mercy mains don’t want their hero to be OP, a must pick or even good. What we want is to have fun again! Current Mercy is neither fun nor strong, she does require much less skill than 1.0 and is so much more boring. Additionally, her kit contradicts itself. She’s supposed to be a fast, slippery healer but has to stand still for almost 2sec to rezz someone. She’s supposed to be a single target healer but Valkyrie let’s her chain beams.
Mercy right now is bad. But that’s not the reason Mercy mains are complaining. It’s because she’s not a hero anymore, but a boring sidekick without an ultimate ability.

7 Likes

You think that winston if he dives on zenyatta and mercy is leaning on zenyatta, zenyatta is dead, yet he has the healings of a main support. Yes it’s ridiculous. Zen can also be good, but I remind you that winston can also be good(I remind you that he has a shield). We are talking about the natural counter of mercy, so winston now against zen + mercy has various choices, which he did not have before. He can dive on zen (he will succeed), he can dive on mercy (he will succeed), whereas before he could just dive on mercy to succeed now that poor loser of zen must also think of winston.
Consequence? If I use Zen and there is winston against, I prefer Ana(sleep, healing burst, biogranade, damage on winston).
This is paradoxical. Ana suffers shields, but in the case of a winston dive on Ana or Zen, she has no hope. Unless it is obviously coordinated with his team. But if you dive in solitary has no hopes (obvious), the problem that if you now dive in solitary on mercy + zen can succeed. Can not find the thing insane?