Mercy could become the cc counter this game needs

But Mercy already has an E ablity! Why replace it?

Yeah, yeah, I know that Mercy already has an E ability. But I think that replacing the “rez on E” (which feels horrible to use) with pretty much anything else would make her more exciting to play. I’ll leave it up to your imagination on what happens to rez after that.

Zarya bubbles just aren’t enough. CC has been creeping up over the past year, and now it’s got the game in a stranglehold.

We need a hero who can consitently protect teammates from CC. And before anyone starts doomsaying “Unstoppable Dragonblades!!”, I’ve got a form of anti-cc that conveniently avoids that pitfall.

Pacify

(Lore description)

Mercy tries to talk down the enemy and pursuade them to consider a non-violent resolution to the conflict. Her words cause them to waver in indecision and pull their punches.

“Can’t we talk this out?”
“Violence isn’t the answer!”
“Calm down!”

Pacify debuff: target (temporarily) deals 20% less damage and cannot deal CC

2 second duration, 8 second cooldown

Visual: Mercy throws a bolt of light (similar to Soldier’s helix rocket)

Single-target projectile ability

Pacify can be blocked by shields, deflected by Genji, and eaten by defense matrix.

Note: “cannot deal cc” means that cc effects are stripped from attacks, but they are still available to use. A Pacified Brigitte can still use her shield bash on enemies, but it’s not going to stun them.

Pacify is intended to be a proactive ability. In order for it to be truly effective, Mercy has to use her gamesense to intuit danger to her teammates and Pacify the enemy targeting them before they’re attacked.

The Pacify projectile is pretty easy to land in close range, but gets harder to hit the farther away the target is. This bit of aim has an added bonus of gently introducing new players to the mechanical side of Overwatch.

Unlike with most DPS, a new player could use Pacify to practice aiming without getting harshly punished and sent to the spawn room every time they miss. By the time they’re ready to branch out to new heroes, the new player has enough experience with aiming Pacify to pick up other, more aim-intensive heroes with confidence.

22 Likes

How many mercy threads do we need to make in one day?

6 Likes

question though, if bob is strong all around, but is weak to cc, won’t this make ashe+mercy+ana stupidly strong?

Thr content is what matters. Ideas like this are more interesting than just complaint threads or talking purely about statistics involving specific characters.

OT: I’m a little hesistant about the damage percentage reduction, though it might be fine to try out given that there’s multiple ways to boost damage in game as well.

I would probably increase the CD on it though, 20% less damage and not being able to use CC kn a 6 second CD could have some unintended consequences I think.

13 Likes

RIP McCree.
“Ha, try taking my Pharah out at point blank without flashbang” - Mercy

Could and should are very different words.

You see, idea’s like this are awesome. Even if they do not pan out they are far more productive.

@idea. Just for clarification it would not be something that targets allies? It instead targets the enemy player and strips them of their CC effects for the duration?

I see how this could be a much fairer interaction if that is the case as Mercy would only be able to anti cc a single target at a time.

However, I do think the CD on it might be a little short. I would rather start at 10 seconds and reduce/increase it as needed from there.

As for the damage reduction… I am not game for that part at all. Already stripping a target of CC is a big play. Preventing the target from doing devastating damage at the same time would be a bit much in my book.

However, What I would be willing to do is exchange it for: all enemy targets within 2.5m of Mercy’s pacify target are also pacified if they are hit while Mercy is in valkrie.

Overall not a bad idea though. Thanks for being constructive.

3 Likes

Thank you for the input!

The effect includes damage suppression for viability purposes - The CC meta will come to an end (eventually…). When that happens, Pacify will need to do more than just anti cc or else it would become extremely niche.

At least, that’s the idea.

Also I’ve read people’s feedback about the cooldown, and they make a good point. I’ve extended the cooldown to 8 seconds: whether it begins immediately, or after Pacify wears off, would depend on how it plays out in an actual fight.

2 Likes

This poses a question though. What do you do with the current E?

I don’t think CC will ever become fully unviable so this should not be an issue.

Load it into a rocket and jettison it into the sun! Muahaha!

There could be a Non Voyage party, and everyone would wear party hats in colors that clash horribly with their outfits.

1 Like

There is a a different version of Pacify in Titanium’s post, in the solution part

some ult combos are just stupid strong, plus it only takes one enemy’s cc out of the match for 2 seconds if it lands, wont be that detrimental

I remember helping brainstorm on that! We (as in the Mercies who cobbled the rework proposal) all came up with ability ideas, helped each other fine-tune, and voted on which ones we liked best.

Fun fact: the Pacify proposal in Titanium’s thread is from a forum veteran by the name of Brawl. He’s a very cool person!

2 Likes

This ability is too weak considering it only lasts 2 seconds and you greatly need to predict when the enemy is going to be using CC. Half the time you’d have the use the ability before the enemy even decides on using CC.

I cannot get behind this particular form of anti CC for one simple reason
When reffering to Console players the E ability goes where the reload button is, which for them is the same finger (the thumb) that is used for their aiming
So giving any form of skillshot to Mercy is a no-go for them

Now an anti CC shield on her allies that is just a temporary buff to her beam, now that could work

I would prefer anti-CC be given to other heroes. Such as giving Orisa’s Supercharger the ability to grant the “fortify” passive to everyone in range (if at the cost of some of the damage boost), then giving “cleanse” mechanics to another healer.

1 Like

8 seconds of complete CC Immunity from one ability would be a little OP

Anti cc buffs are a bad idea. CC is always a reliable counter for troublesome heroes. Pairing anti cc will be pretty annoying

Plus I like rez

I don’t necessarily see that as a deal breaker…

CC in Overwatch general comes in two categories: CC from range that has an obvious windup that gives you time to react (Roadhog hook, Doom punch), and cc that’s meant to be used in close quarters but requires the user to put themselves in a vulnerable position to get in range (flashbang, Mei freeze).

Pacifying the first category shuts the enemy down in a way that forces them to waste a cooldown and rescues your teammate in a flashy way.

Pacifying the second category ends with the enemy’s gamble of “take risk, do cc to get out alive” backfiring spectacularly. Imagine a Doomfist diving into your team, only to get Pacified. They’d have to immediately GTFO or die.