Mercy can't possibly have been designed by someone who loves playing her

So quit? I mean if you think the devs don’t care or some half arsed conspiracy that they are destroying their game because they are not friends of the players, you should just leave.

1 Like

You finding it hard to believe makes no difference to me.
I don’t agree the rework was a failure because I prefer this Mercy to pre-rework Mercy.

And there are many who think the exact opposite. Like myself.

If you don’t think they are your allies you should probably play a different game.

Mercy lovers do not have one voice. That’s part of the frustration!

Actually, it’s due to you not liking the current Mercy. Mercy has been updated and talked about by the development team more than nearly any other hero.
Also, to call the professionals who’s livelihood depends on the success of the game “ignorant” is, simply put, arrogant.
Especially considering I’m nearly positive you have zero experience making a game even half as complex as Overwatch.

This is the sort of thinking that is pervasive on these forums and it’s pretty obnoxious.
You simply refuse to accept someone’s word because you don’t agree with the direction of a character.

Mercy, to me, is more fun than she was before her rework.
If they didn’t care they wouldn’t have done any of these changes, right?

Unfortunate that you get a lot of hearts for a post like this.

1 Like

I’ll not comment on the other comments you made in your post because I don’t think any constructive discussion could be had from that. I will comment on this particular statement though…

I am not so convinced that changes are made because they care about a hero. I think there are deadlines and other priorities that force them to make quick and easy fixes, and I don’t think they even consider the fun/enjoyment factor when making such fixes. Tweaking numbers, adding cast-timer, removing rez charges, etc. were all fixes to bring down Mercy’s power (and her power needed to be reduced). But from my perspective they were lazy fixes that simply made Mercy less fun to play because you were left with fewer decisions and fewer choices as a Mercy player.

See a previous thread of mine for more detail about how nerfs have made Mercy less fun to play because they have taken away decisions (please expand the post if you wish to read it, since it’s several paragraphs long):

I wish they had given the nerfs a little more thought, and a little bit more development time, so that the decision making skills of Mercy players could have continued to be of importance. Right now I feel like Mercy is dumbed down and her skill-ceiling has been lowered. It’s due to the rework and the many nerfs. While I accept that there are those who prefer the current version of Mercy over Mercy 1.x I’m also convinced that there is a Mercy 3.x in the future that will please a greater majority of Mercy players than today.

2 Likes

can we talk about how this ^ happened to this thread, but not to the thread saying they hate 1/3 of the player base? it’s almost like someone who shall remain un-named or called out specifically hates threads and people talking about mercy…

We’re done here then.

:thinking:

Nah, it’s fine. I’m guessing the mods found it inflammatory, and I could see how they could think that. They did not lock the thread or ban me, so I’m pretty much fine with them editing that little bit of my thread. It wasn’t a crucial part of my thread anyways.

Nah, this is not okay. Our “ally” singled out a forumer and defended himself from “assumptions” while preaching being on our side, yet saying something against him is silenced. Wouldn’t our “ally” want us to speak our minds and clarify their intent? Maybe talk to us and not silence us? Pure hypocrisy.

5 Likes

I don’t feel silenced, and it wasn’t Jeff who edited my post. The moderator simply removed a sentence that was considered inflammatory and that also caused a lot of inflammatory replies. They did not remove any of the other content of my post, so I don’t think I’ve been silenced. Quite the opposite, the moderators ensured that my thread could remain open and not be locked.

That’s fine, you can feel that way, but I see it as pure hypocrisy. They leave threads praising the devs open, mods and devs even answering them, but silence any other thought on them.

5 Likes

Mercy still affects games, even if you don’t play or main her. Response dismissed as invalid.

2 Likes

well it is unprofessional to leave a matter unspoken for a year. if they spoke earlier, the hate wouldn’t be this big. there will always be hate, but not as much as now.

if someone doesn’t show the least respect to you, do you just nod and accept it? So many people dealt with it with decency but received no responses while posts like D.va foot fetish get recognized and closed? like, a meaningless post like that gets viewed and shut down but really well made posts that had so much effort put into them get neglected.

And you expect them to be silent and accept it.

1 Like

You ARE aware that all of the changes to Mercy have been BECAUSE of the players right? Here let me show you how it went…

Players - “Mercy is OP and must pick, mass rez removes my omegalawl ult!”
Blizz - “Ok here you go”
Players - “Mercy is still OP, her healing output is WAY too high!”
Blizz - “Ok here you go”
Players - “NO! Her healing is still to much negating any other healer!”
Blizz - “Sigh here you go!”
Players - “YOU DESTROYED MERCY!”
Blizz - “…”

Want to know why they are so quiet? Because of the players! Never happy no matter what they do and they are in a damned if they do damned if they don’t position, so as I said…quit, you obviously don’t like the game, think you can do better than Blizzard and have some nutball conspiracy theory that they hate the players and want their game to die.

So you think just because they went in a closed a topic like THAT, that they don’t read other threads? Just because they don’t send you a personalized greeting card telling you all about what they plan to do that they don’t listen? It is because of players like YOU they stopped responding a lot.

Oh and they HAVE spoken REPEATEDLY about Mercy in threads…just because it isn’t what YOU want to hear doesn’t mean they haven’t.

other threads that concern everything but mercy? sure they do. And i understand why they decide not to talk about it now, it’s because they have been silent about it for so long that it’s too late to say something without an uproar, the matter is too big now. Tbh I wouldn’t say anything bad about the blizz team, i just have my own opinion and disagree with the way they are dealing things and I think this is the purpose of the forums, isn’t it?

i believe people have been casual about it and appropriated the matter before they started to feel neglected and ignored thus the cause of their anger and impatience. I would say some people are still dealing with the matter in a respectable matter so saying that players like me are the reason they stopped responding is kind of unreasonable.

please, go ahead and show me some threads where they answered a person’s concerns and answered their questions. and let me stress on the answered their questions

they do answer questions directly btw, i would just like one on mercy’s matter.

1 Like

And as I have written in several posts in this thread already: I uninstalled the game in January and haven’t played since. And before you ask why I’m still on the forums: Because I had fun once upon a time, and I would like for Mercy to be fun again sometime in the future, at which point I will play the game again.

1 Like

Sorry but I am not going through every Mercy thread, that would take me days, but again…just because they don’t say what you like doesn’t mean they aren’t listening or responding.

They have mentioned her a few times, in post saying things like “We think she is in a good place right now” or “We think the rework has been a success”, or “We think the balancing changes have been successful”. Not once, as far as I know, have they ever addressed the issue of Mercy no longer being fun. At least not how I interpret their messages. When they say “fine” or “success” it always feels like it is in the context of balance, not in the context of “fun”, which is why we keep prodding and asking. But I’d rather see actions than words to be honest. I’d love for them to just try new things on the PTR. Go crazy with Mercy’s kit and see if they accidentally hit on something both fun and balanced. They don’t even need to have the intention of bringing it live, just test new things to get some early feedback. That’s how user centric design works, and it is something that I think Blizzard need to do a whole lot more more of. If they do any form of Agile development they need to give the customers a chance to provide feedback on new ideas, that’s how modern software development works…

I’m hoping devs are a bit smarter than that, and they realize that players are not an unified mass, but only a collection of individuals with different opinions. No matter the change, they’ll always will receive both praise and criticism. I can imagine balancing the game with so many drastically different heroes is hell of a job.
I think they’re not responding directly because they can’t. There is a lot to do about the game besides Mercy and any eventual future change will take awhile. They just made some tweaks to her character and they’ll give it some time before considering any further changes. It still doesn’t mean the Mercy mains don’t have a point or that they don’t have a right to express their concerns or wish for a proper response.

I believe the opinions can be changed. I truly think devs are listening, even if they might be with irritated with Mercy and some of her players atm. So, the threads will continue, because Mercy players are not happy with the state of their favorite hero. This is not only a matter of balance, but also the fact how boring and sluggish she became - if we’re having an “anti-fun” discussion - picking her is anti-fun right now. And, just a side note, not a Mercy main, but it’s baffling to hear how many people are still salty about huge rez - it wasn’t that bad, srsly. There was little skill to pull it off and a lot more to counter it. But it was overall much more meaningful to the game than Valk, that is just a slight buff to things she already does for a limited amount of time.

then you have no proof they said anything. Also it’s not that they don’t say what i like, i accept anything they will say, the problem is that they said nothing.

that’s all, have a good day.

Here is why they don’t talk so much, from Mr. Kaplan himself

“Just because there are ‘a lot of threads’ or ‘a lot of upvotes’ about a certain topic, it does not mean we’re not paying extremely close attention to not only the community feedback – but more importantly – the game itself,” he explained

"Of course the team talks about Mercy. Of course we talk about Ana. But we talk about all of the heroes. If we post, ‘we’re talking about Mercy’ immediately there is an expectation that she is going to be radically changed in the next patch when the truth is, we might just leave her how she is for a while.

“We’re not allowed to post that here without our bosses (and I am talking literally here) receiving emails from some of you demanding we be fired. It’s not exactly what I would call a safe environment for creative people to openly express their thoughts and feelings.”