🧞‍♀ Memorial to Old Sym and what could have been; Youtube Highlight (what I consider the best abilities Sym ever had.)

New Sym is better, more versatile, and more engaging than 2.0. She’s just underpowered and does not have a broad enough niche to merit being picked over other dps options.

With some minor buffs and qol changes she’ll be good.

Old primary fire should stay in the dumpster.

2 Likes

R.I.P. sym, i like the rework somewhat but i only like about half of it.

3 Likes

You know, New Sym and old Sym just suffer from the same problems, it just one has what the other actually needs. And Vice versa.

Like Old Sym’s Summonable Shield and New Sym’s Turrets
Old Sym’s Teleporter and New Sym’s Super Wall

I dont see why we cant combine the old and the new to improve. (Plus I found the old, usable and fun then the new.)

3 Likes

i don’t care at all how strong sym is. I don’t think any amount of buffs will ever make her fun again. If it wasn’t for torb I would have left this game

3 Likes

if I could make my dream sym it would be sym 2.0 with throwable turrets

3 Likes

Here is a song to chill to… (currently waiting on Fallout 76, not expecting anything new on the ptr today with Sym)

4 Likes

Her playstyle was too static for the game in 2.0. She spent too much time out of the fight and Blizzard rightfully swapped that on its head for 3.0.

She’s way more engaging now. Her abilities still need to be sped up a bit, but overall her downtime is a lot less than it was previously.

I do see why so many 2.0 fans miss that iteration though. It’s completely different from how she is now. I just don’t agree that anything from her 2.0 kit was better for her versatility in this fast-paced game. That’s my personal opinion and I know many long time Sym mains will disagree.

well Jeff disagrees actually, recent article release… just now:

“With Symmetra, I personally am in wait-and-see mode,” he said. “There’s two elements there: One is, did we get the correct mechanics? Is this character doing the things we want them to do and occupying the gameplay space we hope that they occupy? And then the second part is the balance. We feel like, with characters like Torbjorn and Symmetra, they’re mechanically doing what we want them to do now, but I don’t know if they’re balanced correctly.”

1 Like

The visuals still blow my mind :sob::two_hearts:

1 Like

If you keep listening its not just that song in there… its my 25 favorites. (with no commercials from youtube.)

While I do agree that Sym is less static than before, they could have just added those features on top of old Sym, so that people that liked her previous iteration wouldn’t mind this rework.

Like, imagine if 2.0 had her new TP (maybe as a second weapon?), throwable turrets, and let her old ult to be deployed at range or even let her precast her SG. Bam. Less static, viable on attack, feels like Symmetra. Were other changes actually needed?

2 Likes

Well jeff at least think something is wrong.

I can sleep easier knowing that.

1 Like

What does that change? It’s not like they’ll suddenly change her drastically.

Bastion Ironclad Passive change was reworked drastically within 24 hours.

Anything is possible

1 Like

That’s not what I took from that Kotaku article lol. He says at the end “We feel like, with characters like Torbjorn and Symmetra, they’re mechanically doing what we want them to do now, but I don’t know if they’re balanced correctly.”

So it looks like he thinks that Torb and Sym are both achieving what they had invisioned for them as characters, and the balance side is where they are shifting their focus.

So yes, he does think something might not be right with Symmetra, but his answer to fixing her does not seem to involve large scale changes or reverts.

2 Likes

You’d have to nerf their damage then.

Which means less damage per turret and a collective 40 second cooldown.

Okay, I guess. It would be overall better for keep TP though because blocking damage is a tanks job.

1. TP was only useful on first point defense.
  2. How would it even work. If you pick TP, then you literally have no ability to help your team in a fought

I feel like Symmetra’s in a really good place right now compared to 2.0.

She needs Teleporter buffs though, major ones. It’s supposed to provide massive utility to her team but only gets used as a Sentry Bomb. It should last indefinitely so teammates would actually use it, have a longer range of use with an indicator of its range, deploy faster, instantly refund 100% when it dies of “natural causes” within 0.015 seconds of existence, and be refundable (along with Sentry Turrets) by holding F for 2 seconds.

A couple things to balance it would be a cooldown reset on in-combat death and less shield health

1 Like

Thanks to Jeff interview, I am sure we will see something be done soon.

RIP old sym. Now I’m left with a bunch of merchandise and expertise on a hero that doesn’t exist. :’(

2 Likes

old sym is best sym

if only blizzard knew how to rework her properly

1 Like