Mei should be a Tank

Her wall blocks everything, including her own team. What other tank ability is remotely like this?

None.

Her iceblock is an escape mechanism because she is a VULNERABLE close-range hero, the closest to it being reaper’s wraith form and moira’s fade. Not very tank-like.

Mei doesnt fit into any of the 3 roles, but dps is the only one with enough flexibility of play to allow mei’s use.

She is in no way a tank, and if placed there, would be actively throwing if picked, which is dangerously unhealthy for this game.

5 Likes

Yes you said it better than me on why Mei would not be a good tank.

1 Like

Not have CC on their M1?

All of your changes are based on assumptions. You believe making Mei a tank AND making 1-3-2 a thing, overwatch would be fixed, but you have to ignore reality for that to be true. Even from your first line, I’m confused.

Why would this just happen? Why would Mei being a tank get more people in the tank role, and what do you mean by “approximating 1-3-2”?

That sentence is like me saying “Rein should have 5000 shields, that would make people tank by approximating more heros in the game”. Are you asking for both? Why in a “mei should be a tank” post?

Beyond that, why would Mei draw people to tank? Its not like people are queuing DPS to pick Mei.

Why not create a brand new tank for this? Why wouldn’t that tank make more people tank and “approximate 1-3-2”?

We know Mei’s just going to be gimped as a tank anyway. They’d remove her CC on demand M1, and essentially turn her into a new character. If they’re going to do that, why not just keep Mei and make that miracle tank that’d fix tank queue times?

I’d argue all of this is the reason why Mei should stay a DPS. Right now, the Damage heroes have an option for directly using zoning tools via switching to Mei. If Mei was gone, the DPS would go “Rein has Earthshatter! Lets hope one of our tanks can block it!” instead of just swapping to Mei and blocking it.

Also, I’m still not sure what “approximates 1-3-2” means; it seems like two ideas stitched together.

This is a solution to a non-issue. The paradox isn’t durable tanks; the issue comes in when the top players complain that tanks are too durable, and get their fanboys to repeat the same thing. Double Barrier didn’t have to be an issue if they just buffed barrier counters or introduced new ways to counter barriers, and any issues that arise only seem to pop up in GM or someting.

You’ll never get me to agree that 100% of the playerbase should suffer because the 1% decide something’s an issue.

Actually, this opens up Mei to more scrutiny. If Mei’s good as a tank, she’ll get nerfed very quickly. I already mentioned this above, but with 400 HP she’d be a loaded tank. She has

1.) CC on demand.

2.) Long ranged sniping on demand.

3.) Powerful zoning on demand

3.) The ability to become invincible, stall, AND heal.

The only thing keeping her down is the fact that its easy to stop Mei before she gets started; with 400 HP she’d be a beast, and then she’d get nerfed and reworked until she’s essentially not Mei. And I highly doubt people would play her then.

She wouldn’t be keeping that damage. Seriously think about what I said in the above. She’d be LOADED as a tank. She’s kinda loaded now. In any 1v1 she wins, but she can also just choose an enemy in a team fight and render them useless. In any other game, MAYBE that’d be fine for a tank, but do you honestly think people would tolerate that in overwatch?

If we’re moving Mei to the tank role, and she sucks anyway, I’d consider your changes a critical failure.

No.

6 Likes

You want one of the heroes most disliked to play against by tanks moved into a category where she would be picked a lot more often? That doesn’t sound good to me. The less games Mei is in the better. I’d probably stop playing if Mei was going to be in more games than she is now.

1 Like

Then make her into a good Tank.

By making her a half-decent Tank, she can get substantial buffs and improvements.

By staying as a DPS, she’s gotta be nerfed to the point where she’s only marginally useful in OWL with worldclass coordination. i.e. “The Sombra Zone”.

3 Likes

Why make mei a good tank? That would require a ground-up rework of an existing hero, so you would essentially be making a new hero and deleting the existing hero.

Just make a new hero at that point, leave the existing hero alone.

7 Likes

Also yeah, this 400 hp Mei sounds like cancer when it comes to singling people out. There’s just no hope!

2 Likes

Like I said if they made her a proper tank with the move I might be fine with it, but not your proposed transfer her first with no change and wait possible years before making her a proper off tank.

Tbh, I could see them going for a 350hp Mei. No model size changes.
But then revert her wall cooldown back to 10sec.

1 Like

It sounds exactly like greyfalcon KNOWS mei would be a bad tank as she is now, so I dont understand why he keeps suggesting deleting current mei rather than just using this pointless crusade to make a new tank hero.

6 Likes

Well if you’re trying to 1v1 a mei, you had no hope in the first place really.

5 Likes

Which is still faster than it would take to make her a proper DPS.

Mei being a C tier Tank, is objectively better than being an F tier DPS.

2 Likes

Mei being an f tier tank, is objectively worse than keeping mei as a niche dps.

But the 400hp version includes tanks on that no hope list lol

Yup. I’m full aware how reactive the community is to anything “Mei Buff” related.

Can’t overload their brains with a full set of changes right off the bat. Furthermore, it’s a lot easier to see exactly where she fits in the convoluted contraption of balance. Then push in a direction to solidify that capability.

Rather than the balancing equivalent of a “Hole in one” for Golf.

2 Likes

If your worried about the community freaking out I rather they do it all at once by ripping the band-aid off instead on slowing peeling it - which translates to years of miner buffs/nerfs and the possibility of leaving Mei at the bottom again until Overwatch 3 comes out.

1 Like

I would rather mei be niche, than fundamentally changed arbitrarily just because people want more tank heroes. Just make more tank heroes.

6 Likes

It really doesn’t need to be that long though. If they can get back to bi-monthly balance patches.

Mostly just to get past the initial “brain shock” hurdle of people wrapping their head around the idea of Mei being in a different role.

Why should people have to wrap their heads around mei being fundamentally changed into a brand new hero, when they could just add a brand new hero and leave mei alone?

6 Likes

Yeah, why are you even talking about Tank design if you don’t understand

1. It’s the playstyle that matters, not the raw number of heroes.
    • There are already more Tank heroes than Support heroes for instance. But a lot less Tank players.
  2. Tank design is severely limited by avoiding high durability compositions.