Mei nerf has made a big difference

We will find out on the 8th of February.

Her ulti is not considered the best dps ulti by a mile…its insanely telegraphed and easy to escape

the time is not short and there is nothing strategic about stalling on 2 CP. It requires no strategy, no mechanics and no brain, the idea of 2 CP compared to say KOTH is that

a) the defenders have a better and more entrenched positional advantage

b) respawns are faster for the defenders so trading 1 for 1 is generally worth it.

There is nothing strategic about stalling the point 1v6 for 5s with Mei or Reaper Wraith and then getting a lucky Widow HS or Doom RMB and full holding off of that. It’s a disgusting tactic that meeds to go away.

contrary to the majority, my balancing ideas don’t necessarily gravitate toward “how do I make the heroes I main OP” because even if I was so short-sighted, the enemy would also have access to said OP heroes.

My dislike toward Mei is centered on 2 things:

a) her stalling on 2 CP needs to go away it’s lame and skill-less. In comp it just contributes to the feeling that 2 CP is steamrolly and partially random and in OWL I doubt you can argue that the defenders are being “tactical” or anything with a Mei swap. I don’t care how this is achieved, easiest solution seems reduce Cryo to 2s while keeping total healing unchanged (would make her a bit strong in duels though perhaps so it’s a pickle). Or give Cryo health (I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Or make it so that while you’re in Cryo/Wraith you can’t contest points (this seems fairest solution).

Furthermore her “outplaying tanks” is a bit too oppressive though this is a result of Orisa, armor reduction and Brig being too strong which don’t allow even a minimum amount of Dive. Mei on her own is unable to shut down dive so I feel if Orisa and Brig get nerfed a bit more this problem would go away since Winston + Dva would be viable tanks that can avoid Mei to a large degree.

1 Like

They still need to nerf her ice wall its too strong

1 Like

Unless mei for me as a pick is a free win - she is broken. Litteraly zero effort hero, I can hold left click whole game an be valuable af. Imagine mcree would have no cooldown on flashbang, and still he would be less broken with it, than mei is now. A dps hero, for some reason, be able to deny space from tanks…what a joke. 150 damage fastest projectile in a game after hanzo nerf, w/o ballistics, what a joke. Stun as a primary attack, what a joke, should I continiue about op wall and self sustain?

5 Likes

Hero bans a popular thread topic

She is op get over yourself

Yes totallly
I had so much chance against mei perma freezing me and getting free headshots at me

Salt melts Ice.
It’s the perfect Mei counter.

2 Likes

Ah shoot
Dangit Mei, you’re getting countered

Man you mei players are really good at lying to yourselves about how much skill and effort the hero you play requires. She has above average health, a literal dont die button that also heals you, a giant wall that acts as a 2nd get out of jail free card if you play like an idiot, and this is all before mentioning that she can unplug anyones controller by holding a button down, and a very forgiving ultimate that is performed merely by pressing Q on the objective.

If you arent biased and just look at mei objectively compared to every other hero in the dps roster she is just easier than most of the other options. Its no wonder shes so popular and why I will pick her if role queue decides to give me dps. My dps placements this season were far easier than my placements for any other role because to win as DPS is really just a matter of picking mei. If you pick mei and the enemy team doesnt its basically a free win.

Can you outplay mei yes, but the amount of effort and skill it takes for you to kill a mei is a fraction of the effort required of mei to kill others, and I really shouldn’t have to explain why this is bad game design.

2 Likes

Agreed. it is good players who know they should always force to Mei to block early if possible anyway.

1 Like

I play this game a lot less than I used to because of the prevalence Mei has in the meta right now. She’s in almost every game and it’s just not fun to be frozen by an ability she barely has to aim. There are few counter plays (Zarya Bubble/Orisa shift) and even when you use those Mei can just wall herself off or become completely invincible while healing and stalling point.

I don’t know about Overpowered or whatever considering I play at an average level but I can tell you as a casual player she’s no fun to play against.

2 Likes

I use her and I’m barely noticing a difference. Still freezing people quite consistently.

Her issue and what makes her frustrating is her wall. As long as that stays as it is, people will consistently hate her. Her inherent design is bad and is meant to piss people off.

1 Like

blablabla, good players dodge 100% of Doom combos, hide perfectly when Sombra is about to EMP and are aware of ALL Widow sightlines at any time.

In truth you will just get outplayed sometimes and even if you don’t something else besides “forcing ice block early” while the Mei is freezing you from behind Orisa shield as Moira sprays them both might have priority over forcing Mei cryo.

You make it sound like it’s easy, in an actual game it’s not.

You meed ideally to:

• force Ice Block early
  • force fortify early
  • force Batist lamp early

the list goes on and on. Most importantly the enemy team has brains (generally) so most likely they won’t waste cooldowns but trade them with your cooldowns.

I played a fair amount of mei, and I thought she was overturned. Everything in her kit except ranged m2 was very easy to use.

Mei before buffs was a crutch hero much like reaper, bastions. She’s still a crutch hero, just not as stupid as she was before, but still stupidly easy to get value out of

1 Like

This.

Now it is virtually impossible to freeze a genji jumping around even with perfect tracking it just doesn’t work anymore.

RIP mei

Hanzo Widow meta is underway & in full force because what’s better than a 1 shot 1 kill hero? nothing!

1 Like

Strongly disagree, her range is so short it is now much harder to get value because she is so slow and freezing is much more difficult on faster targets & the freeze last less longer so unless you have 200iq teammates it’s meaningless unless it’s a squishy. Pretty much pointless freezing a hog unless they capitalize on it and a hassle to freeze a squishy because it takes to long lel @ mei

1 Like

So why hasn’t she been S-tier for the last three years of overwatch?

1 Like

The rest of her kit wasn’t good enough to warrant picking her solely for her ult and also OW was dominated by hyper mobile heros/dive meta/snipers who can all easily avoid or leave her ulti.

Current OW isn’t like that, the meta is slower movement and static heroes and comps like Double Barrier and Deathball. If a Mei ults a point in OT, its GG unless you have like a trans or something.

Not to mention Mei’s base kit and time to freeze were alll buffed quite a bit over the past year and a half in order to counter goats, as well as primary tick rate, right click falloff, multi freeze, etc.

1 Like

Fair enough, multi freeze is really the only thing I think she doesn’t need.
Other than that, I think she’s fine

Allow me to clarify a few things:

1. The freeze time was never buffed the past few years. Only the slow time, and that got recently nerfed.
  2. The only goats changes Mei received during goats to deal with goats was the damage buff to her freeze.
  3. The piercing freeze was added before goats was a thing.
  4. The removal of fallof damage was shortly done after the merge of the assault and defense class. This was a change in mid 2018. Goats wasn’t a thing yet.
4 Likes