[Mei-gathread] Does Mei feels balanced and underpowered at the same time?

Well, yesterday i started playing comps: i won the first 2 placements, using mainly Mei, then using in attack Pharah.
My advice is to communicate with teammates, even if they don’t reply, this to establish a tactic. In the first case in Volskaya (defense) i forced enemies at chokes, we lost the first point in overtime but we defended well the second. In Oasis in the team there was only one healer but we conquered the 2 points, without letting the enemy do it. You should communicate your team who are you focussing, and what others should do, they probably will listen to you and will help you. Also i started to play without crosshair: it feels better IMO because you use your sense and you watch more the enemy than the crosshair, i can aim better but i need to warm up more.
BTW is pretty interesting to see how often a dead Mei equals to a loss

1 Like

So… Devs?

Is that it? Are you done or are you going to do something about the ridiculous ramp up time on Mei’s ult? Or give us that extra pillar?

Or to be honest, do anything that actually makes Mei more viable?

3 Likes

About the cooldowns of wall and cryofreeze, fater reading some suggestions i’ve thought about them a bit. Let me know what do you think:

1. Cryofreeze (idea 1):
  • Cooldown starts when ability is activated (8 seconds after an entire usage)

• Reloads 25 ammos per second

1. Cryofreeze (idea 2)
    (Same as idea 1 but with some changes)
  • Duration reduced to 2 seconds
  • Reloads 50 ammos per second
  • Reloads 62.5 HP per second (total of 125 HP)
  • Cooldown reduced to 10 seconds (8 seconds in total after a full use)
    In this way we give Mei more often the cryofreeze without making her nearly invincible, and out of cryo she has more possibilities of fights (i didn’t gave a full reload because this is compensated from 10 icicles, so we will run less often out of ammos)
  1. Ice wall
  • The wall aura before being spawned is now visible by teammates

• When it’s destroyed, the cooldown is always 5 seconds
    This gives Mei the wall a little bit more often and allows to recover it in case has been placed in a wrong point. Also the aura being visible from teammates, allows more coordination and makes easier to reach high ground

3 Likes

Definitely the duration reduction and cooldown reduction would be nice. I really don’t see the need for a reload now after the ammo buff. Mei has more ammo than a lot of other heroes (Zarya, Soldier, McCree, etc.) I also think the healing rate should probably be 75 HPS of 62.5 HPS. This wouldn’t be OP because it would only really give her 400 hp max in a fight (most fights don’t go on for 8 seconds), and she’s sort of a tank already.

1 Like

Hey the ammo buff and slow duration was a nice start. Sure they aren’t major buffs but they do help a bit.

1 Like

Why are people so interested in reducing the duration of cryofreeze? That takes away some of the utility Mei has when she uses it to break LOS to protect teammates.

I understimated this, but 2 seconds rather than 4 would make Mei less stalling and more active in a fight. Staying 4 seconds in cryo feels akward, because you’re doing nothing and you only wait to get back after getting healed

1 Like

I mean… She’s not Tracer.

There are situations where 4 seconds can help a team mate better survive Reaper or 76 while they are ulting for example.

I’m not 100% what problem you are trying to address either. Is it “Stalling isn’t fun”? Or maybe Mei needs more health regain from cryofreeze?

Shorter duration and more healing would benefit Mei in both her survivability and lack of ability to stall the point. At the moment she is inactive for so long if you want the healing out of her iceblock that there’s almost no point in using it for healing as you team will be a player down for 4 seconds. Protecting teammates with your iceblock is such a niche thing that can be nerfed slightly to make her survivability and cooperation in a teamfight better.

2 Likes

That’s what i intended: make her more active in the fight and more effeftive rather than leaving her as an inefficient staller

i did found one bug while playing, sometimes sombra can hack you while you are freeze. it highly depends on when she click to hack but if its timed right mei can be hacked while is frozen. idk if it happened to anyone else.

1 Like

So for Mei’s iceblock, why not just let it fully reload her weapon and heal her to full? That way she can use it’s long effect time to have some counterplay, so now even though she cannot move, she would control when she comes out. If this winds up being too much you could have it break against extreme burst damage so she can’t just contest unopposed for several seconds.

I’m not feeling the primary fire changes, my biggest gripe with fighting her has always been that she screws up my aim, and what you’ve proposed doens’t help her specifically against the super fast dive heroes.

I’m not sure what you could do other than have it affect their cooldowns somehow so they can’t jsut leave you guys in the dust. Like freezing the icons over so you have to hit it multiple times to break free forcing them to waste cooldowns or be forced to fight you while not having the option of both? So for example, Tracer being frozen would force her to use all her cooldowns to escape to a proper distance and wait a few seconds to re-engage, or be forced to fight her in cqc and save her cooldowns. For a guy like Reaper he’d be either forced to mash his escape key quickly to run away immediately or chance staying and fighting her. you could also have it reduce distance on escape oriented moves with the chill effect too to prevent tanks or single use cooldown escapes like Pharah, Genji or DVA from hitting their maximum distance. I like the idea of her left click, but it’s often really miserable to fight against because of how it works.

As for the wall, it’s her only cooldown I think needs to be changed because it’s really hard to plan around, use correctly, easy to screw up and ruin plays with it for your team, etc. From my brief time with Mei it was incredibly un intuitive to use in a meaningful way other than at a choke, from my extensive time playing with her I often find it hurts me rather than helps me.

Finally her icicle falloff, I think you could just double her minimum damage at range. Only alternative I could think of is giving her a flat low damage number that can’t crit at like 80, but have it have no falloff and less of an ammo cost.

Anyway, this is just coming from a guy who hates fighting Mei but wants to see her buffed. I wish you folks the best of luck.

I wouldn’t just buff her. I’d “rebalance her” a bit in her favor.

How is this different from a buff? I’d also slightly nerf her.

Since they seem to be dead set on keeping her M1 stun, I won’t touch it this time.

What I would do is reduce her “#1 point-staller-girl” capacity in favor of allowing her to be countered more cleanly if it’s just her, and use the room freed up by nerfing the things that make her annoying to buff the crap out of her other areas.

Nerfs:

Ice Block: Almost completely rebuild it. Instead of having it give her blanket immunity to everything, have it grant 500 bonus armor over the top of her health. As long as she has at least 1 point of armor, she’s immobile, cannot activate abilities, cannot shoot, and regenerates health. In practice the ability will work exactly the same as it does now, except she can be focused down if she’s alone or does something stupid like blocking right in front of a turret form bastion. This is the only nerf.

Buffs:

Whatever you feel would help. I’d be in favor of buffing her M2 to be less difficult to use (though I still want to remove the freeze-kill combo because it’s toxic in favor of a much stronger snare with a longer duration so at least you have to admit that the icicle was a good shot when she kills you).

I’d reduce the CD on her wall significantly. They should be everywhere. I’d reduce wall section health if necessary. I’d like to see it get a 6 second cooldown with only 125-200 health per pillar. Maybe let her “heal” her walls with her M1 if she wants to use them as a more reliable blocker (shoot any pillar and all pillars get healed).

I’d make her wall transparent to Mei and her teammates so they can see what’s on the other side.

I’d make the top of her wall slick for the enemy team so that they always wind up on one side of it or the other.

I’d consider letting friendlies that have a mei wall created underneath them conserve some momentum to increase the amount of lift they can get from a friendly mei wall to make the wall a bit more useful. Additionally, I’d allow mei to “wall jump” for much more upward momentum than she currently gets. Combined with a much shorter CD and you could solve some of her mobility issues. Wall goes up, Mei comes down. You can’t explain that!

I’d clean up the projectile ult problems people have been seeing and make sure that all projectile ultimates are aggressively protected by “favor the shooter” over all other abilities. I’d also either speed up the throwing animation for her ultimate to make it more difficult to interrupt, or give Snowball more agency in activating himself on her command (in which case he would just ignore the fact that Mei died and activate anyway even if he maybe activated right on top of her corpse instead of wherever she was going to throw him). I’d also maybe classify him as a “pet” instead of a projectile specifically for DM so D.Va couldn’t eat him :frowning:

Then there’s more boring stuff like speeding up her M2 so she fires with less of a delay. Maybe add more recoil so she doesn’t do more damage, but rather just takes less time to form the icicle.

I don’t think I’d touch her M1 except to remove the stun, but that’s me. I hate the stun.

This is not a bug.

Sombra’s hack has a leniency of .1 seconds. This means that it doesn’t immediately gets interrupted when the LoS is broken or the player has used an invulnerability ability like Mei’s Cryo-Freeze or Tracer’s recall.

But this will be removed with the upcoming Sombra nerfs.

3 Likes

i had no idea about this, thank you ^^

If they alter her cryo like this, then they need to address the other parts of her kit too, as right now, she isn’t integral to any team fight. Her ult and her dps need adjustments too. Giving her more healing but reducing her ability to stall will not help her without buffing other parts of her kit, it would only ensure she’s never used in professional play.

2 Likes

im guessing the next buffs to mei, 1 each year, to make her viable according to Blizz devs :

year 1: adding 1 mts to ice pillar’ s height.
year 2: now she heals 126 hp instead of 125 from cryo.
year 3: add 1 point damage for tick to blizzard.
year 4: reduced time to freeze someone by 0.01 secs
etc… etc… (with the same bugs without fixing at all)

You know, each of those buffs are going to be applied without addresing the true issues, cuz otherwise she is going to feel opressive when defending and blizzard cant allow that.

4 Likes

Whelp, Styalosa made yet another video about ‘bad dps’ and role queue and constantly used it to single out Mei players for some reason. I mean, he constantly claims ‘she’s fine’ (despite never playing her) but then makes a video like this complaining about having her on his team due to her garbage dps… So be prepared for more toxicity in comp due to rampant fans of these types of youtubers.

6 Likes

*Bipolarity intensifies *

4 Likes

Stylosa is a hack. His stringing out his non-content for as much AdRev as possible has become a meme in the community. His VOD ‘’‘reviews’’’ are so vague they never actually say anything of value. How he’s amassed this huge following is beyond me.

Anyway, for some actual content. :slight_smile:

Someone suggested having cryo fully restock Mei’s ammo. If you were to do that then you’d have to remove the ability to cancel cryo early, otherwise she’d have an instant reload and would become massively OP. I think the flexibility of being able to cancel cryo early is more important than a full reload.

Jardio did an educational stream on a new account the other day. The tips were quite broad and aimed primarily at low-mid ranks so much of it maybe be not be new information to some, but it was cool to get a deeper dive into his thought processes. I can’t link to the VOD directly because of the forum rules but here’s the date and stream title:

#1 Mei is obligated to play casual game
Mar 16, 2018

2 Likes