Mei abilities (Strengths & Weaknesses comparison) ❄

Strengths (Things that only Mei can do):
-Slow and stop an enemy.
-Divide an enemy from the rest of the team.
-Elevate teammates to higher places.
-Good in 1v1.

Weakness:
-No mobility.
-Low dps.
-Only reliable ability to survive in long 12s cd, with bugs. Most used to deny an ability that will kill her (Zen right click, Mccree flashbang, Roadhog hook) (Abilities with lower cd).
-Wall requires your teammates to follow-up.
-Enemies can camp around cryo so It let you vulnerable.
-Ult takes too much time to deploy, freeze and dont reach places behind cover.
-Wall can be destroyed.

7 Likes

If only her bugs and ultimate were addressed.

Getting hooked out of Cryo-Freeze by Roadhog and seeing an already thrown ultimate dissappear because you were stunned after the throw animation is just maddening.

As soon if these issues are fixed do I think Mei is in a balanced state, despite her low pickrate.

2 Likes

I don’t think Mei is unbalanced or underpowered, but her weaknesses are just too frustrating, If you play Brigitte I’m probably the one who give you the “Stop an ult” achivement, jeez. (BTW last night I threw an ult on the payload and didn’t freeze a Roadhog just next to it feelsbadman)

1 Like

The only projectile in the game with drop off damage.

Let’s talk about the fact we’re back to a slow non dive meta and mei still stays at <1% pickrates even after the buffs.

Mei had no falloff in the beta and It was cancer af, I think the damage despite is low, it’s fine.

2 Likes

I too don’t think Mei is unbalanced, but there is definitely room for improvements.

Her ult has LoS. Many have I been able to get not frozen by an enemy’s Mei ultimate by standing next to a stair.

Not true. Roadhog’s secondary and Torbjorn secondary has fall of damage as well.
(But genji’s hand thrown shurikens not.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

Edit:
Typo.

2 Likes

Because you can kill faster with a Mccree or a Genji. :c

Roadhog gun is a projectile and has dmg falloff. Plus nobody wants to eat 150 dmg from a stray icicle that was shot from across the map as they walk out of the spawn.

1 Like

True I didn’t consider projectile shotguns.

Would temporary invincibility with cryo qualify as a strength?

It has 2 downsides:

1- Enemies can camp around you. (Multiple targets)
2- You need to use cryo to bait enemies abilities so if you stay too much time in cryo it can be bad since enemies can run away. (1 target)

Oh I just thought since it was something unique to her, but I guess that’s fair

Not as long as things like this can happen:

(Recorded on 2 PTR patches ago.)

1 Like

Mei is quite similar to a Paladins Champion called Inara. Their kit is reasonably similar (wall, slow effect, durability ability, poor damage to compensate), but Inara is quite viable because she’s a true tank.

The key difference is Inara is built around her durability, whereas it seems Mei is built around her stun gimmick.

I think that might be the main issue Mei has. The focus is on the wrong parts of her kit. They keep buffing up her stun and such, where they should be focusing more on her durability and ability to fight objectives.

EDIT: Got ability names mixed up.

2 Likes

Well sure but that’s not meant to happen, though I do hope that gets fixed for the fellow Mei mains

Wraith form exists so it’s not unique for Mei.

But they haven’t buffed her Cryo-Freeze at all.
If you’re talking about it removing Ana’s anti-heal, that was a fix to a year old bug. It was part of the game so long that many players thought it was intentional.

And they buffed the ammo usage of her secondary fire and the piercing effect of her primary fire. They definitely tried buffing her to fight on objectives longer.

1 Like

Oh whoops, you’re right

1 year and 3 or so months. It was hilarious.

Speaking of cryofreeze buffs they should’ve kept the floating ice from the FFA glitch. It helped to reduce the camping and added a new level of mobility to her.

1 Like