MedusaGorgon - Voice Chat Issues (PS4)

if this was a simple connection issue this topic wouldn’t be as big as it is and there wouldn’t be people still having this problem…I’ve done every suggested solution to no avail so how is it my problem? how is it my connection?

it seems pretty dumb to place the blame on our connections when this was never an issue before this year’s summer games event

i never recalled having this much of a problem getting the voice channels to work and yet it’s somehow my connection’s fault not the game’s?

what…

Heya MedusaGorgon.

Good questions. Wanted to provide a bit of insight as to what caused us to make the determination we made, and see if we can help your situation out.

The thread you originally posted this reply in is over a year old (predating when you say was the first time the issue occurred) and only has about 150 posts. In the event of a widespread issue caused by something in our direct control, most threads would be be several hundred if not a thousand or more posts if it were legitimately a bug. Likely it would have been fixed by us long since.

I promise I’m not trying to give you the run around here, I legitimately believe this is the best course of action for you. Because we have no evidence of an actual problem using the various telemetry methods we have, your best bet is to treat this as an individual issue.

Keep in mind that just because one thing changes, it doesn’t necessitate that the thing which appears to have triggered the issue is the actual issue.

I’ve moved us to our own thread for now. Why don’t we see if we can fix your specific issue together? The first thing I’d like to know, if you want to try troubleshooting this, is if you’ve tried anything to troubleshoot this on your own yet. If so, can you list off what you’ve done so we skip as many redundant steps as possible?

I’ve tried Power-Cycling The router as well as the PS4

I’ve tried simply restarting the game as well as Restarting the PS4 itself but when the voice channel does come back it seems to be unrelated to anything i do

I’ve tried messing around with in-game settings to see if there was something there that could resolve it…but nope

it’s frustrating me honestly because I’ve had this game since the month of it’s release and not once have i had issues of this level when it comes to the voice channel
nothing on my end has changed so drastically that it would be screwing with the game in such a manner

Okay, good first steps. Let’s see what else we can unravel here.

1. Is your console wired directly to the router via ethernet, or using wifi?
  2. How far away from your router is your console?
  3. What is the make/model of your router?
  4. How frequently do you find that you’re having issues, since it’s happening intermittently? Is it fine for one day, then doesn’t work the next? Does it happen mostly at a certain time of day?

A post was merged into an existing topic: 9/Sept/2019 - Voice Chat Issues EU (PC)

1.it’s using wifi

2.Not that far(The Console’s just downstairs in the living room and this is the only room upstairs)

3.it says TP-Link(not sure of the exact model)

4.here’s the thing i can only recall a few times where it actually came back so there’s no real pattern on when it goes down it’s usually always down now but if it comes back it’s not at any set time or period

I’ve Never really noticed any other games I’ve played online to be affected in such a way like overwatch has been as of late

so it’s a little weird if it’s just a me thing and it somehow honed in on overwatch being the only thing that would be acting screwy

the only thing i really figured out is that everything was fine but something happened when the summer games update came out that messed everything up

it seems oddly specific for it to go down that day and not once before that

when it did go down at the time of the summer games event it didn’t come back until a couple days later but then it just didn’t come back for like several weeks to a month and now it’s just not coming back at all

despite everything I’ve tried and attempted i can’t really locate the source of the issue nor can anyone else who has had similar problems lately

there’s no pattern

Gotcha, okay, that does narrow it down some. One thing that can cause issues with Overwatch over other games you probably play on your console is that we send and receive a LOT of data. What can sometimes happen on a less stable connection is that the servers will detect your connection is unstable, and to make sure you don’t disconnect from the game if at all possible, it will prevent you from connecting to voice.

This may take some doing, but can you temporarily move the console to the living room and wire in to the router directly while the problem is happening? If this fixes the issue, it’s probably something to do with the quality of the wifi signal. There are a couple possible work arounds for that, but we’d want to test to see if that’s the problem first.

As for the model of the router, usually it’s on a sticker somewhere on the device. Typically it’s on the back or side.

the console’s already in the living room the router is what’s upstairs

Oop, misread and switched it around. Sorry about that. Can we try it that way then - or alternately, wire in with a really long ethernet cable temporarily?

I Could try that later(Unhooking My PS4 or simply getting it down from the shelf it’s on tends to be quite the hassle more so since i have to keep the cords from slipping where i can’t get them and when the tv’s in use that can be a bit of a distraction)

i don’t really have a long ethernet cable i can use for this I do have to add in

Absolutely understood. I get that this is an inconvenient ask, but the results of the test will let us figure things out a bit more quickly, instead of randomly troubleshooting to see what works.

Why don’t we try that for now and have you report back once you get some time? I’m on the forums multiple days a week so either one of my coworkers or myself should be able to follow up based on the results of that test.

Understood I’ll try that later when i can but things seem to be a bit strange about this case regardless