Medical Retirement

After 5 years I’m done with this game. I realised that every time I play I come away in a bad mood which is starting to affect other areas of my life, and honestly having a detrimental effect on my mental health. It was never this bad in OW1, but with the changes they’ve made to the game in OW2 and the matchmaking in particular, I can’t do it anymore. It feels more like something I have to do rather than something I want to do, which is stupid as it’s a silly video game which nobody cares about. It’s supposed to be fun, but I don’t think it’s designed to be fun anymore, or at least that’s how it feels to me.

I’m a support main, and the final straw was going 6 wins followed by 23 losses and a final win. Going from platinum to silver. This wasn’t in one sitting it was over a few days but I just couldn’t win a match no matter what I did. Often my team would get zero eliminations in the first round and then just give up, quit or spend the rest of the match emoting at the enemy.

I know people will say it’s down to me and I’m the only constant in those 23 losses. But how can one player have such a detrimental effect on the entire team to cause none of them to get a single elimination? I think the matchmaking in this game just doesn’t work anymore. I don’t know why, I don’t know what’s changed so drastically since OW1 to make it quite so broken, but it seems to be getting worse too not better. I don’t see how it can be fixed without ripping the entire thing apart and essentially starting over, which I don’t think they’re going to do when their main concern seems to be selling overpriced skins.

I’ve had some good times over the years and it will be a shame to see it go. But sadly it is no longer the game that hooked me in 2017. I’m out.

2 Likes

Yup, been there! That usually happens when someone is chasing cheap dopamine-fixes (= addiction) instead of using it to make decisions that actually improves your life.

At this point leaving OW2 and Blizzard is a moral imperative of sorts. Giving Blizzard any resources, whether it’s your money or your time and attention, is just plainly self-destructive.