McCree's name changing does nothing for the victims

Finally someone else calls it out

Doubt it since the OW team has nothing to do with the lawsuit and no one has actually said that officially so it’s a bunch of speculation

2 Likes

Well, that requires that the victims press charges against each individual person. It’s very messy, and I doubt Activision will just let that happen without making some kind of threat. The Department of Fair Employment and Housing cannot make a criminal charge without the victims pressing charges unfortunately. And since the victims are being silenced…yeah, it’s not gonna be as picture-perfect as we hope.

Thinking about it, too…The victims are gonna get fired the second this news dies down. Because companies don’t like it when somebody challenges their reputation - whether it’s true or not. And the probably won’t be compensated for it.

1 Like

the victims are probably gonna get fired when Activision change Blizzard’s name into Activision Insight and treat it as a new company. I have experienced mergers and company name changes for two times, and i know that there are loopholes for management to do “restructurization” when the company changed to a new entity.

it doesn’t have to be now, but you can bet in the future the ones that testify for the lawsuit will get sacked. There are many ways to identify them, and they doesn’t have to be 100% sure about it to sack someone.

That’s just how most company operates, not just on the game industry. no matter how holy they look at the surface, anything that causes losses isn’t good for the company. It’s capitalism, and no, capitalism isn’t necessary all bad. There’s also good things about capitalism.

1 Like

Oh look who does not have a shred of empathy. Poor justification? You think not wanting an abuser’s name who was a colleague people worked with associated with a Hero is poor justification? How much entitlement do you show here? It is Overwatch teams’ prerogative. They do not even NEED justification. Not wanting one of their characters associated with an abuser that they personally know, is PERFECT justification to change the name.

2 Likes

Yeah, you tell em, Tider. I cannot believe someone would have the opinion that he has. Absolutely mortifying.

Stop confusing the WoW team where virtually all of the abuse happened with the Overwatch team

Also, the change wasn’t solely for victims, the OW team largely did the change for themselves

As harsh as it sounds, it’s not always about you

4 Likes

I think they do. Just not enough to make any real change in the face of costs. Wich is why some stuff started happening as soon as the shareholder lawsuit appeared…

I dont how things work in California, but I imagine there is some form of protection against being fired without cause leading to employers actually having to have some proof of misconduct before sacking someone.
There may be persons that was in the circle of these Cosby Suite guys and just didn’t know (maybe they were in a different departement and nothing happened when they joined the parties).

I don’t see why changing the name and getting help to the people who were hurt have to be mutually exclusive options.

I fully agree that a rename is not enough, and that it does not on its own fix anything. But it’s not like leaving the name unchanged would be better?

I think it’s appropriate to stay on the company’s case about doing right by the employees who were harmed, but, at least according to an official Blizz statement cited above, one part of preferring the victims meant to change the branding on their fictional character.

1 Like

Cake you’ve been on the forums long enough to know that “what about me!?!!?” mentality has been rampant since the start.

Why expect people who want to complain about something as benign as a name change to care about the actions behind why it’s done? (Especially if they’re going have THIS be the tipping point for them)

2 Likes

I mean, a lot of what you’re describing is out of the control of anybody on Overwatch dev team, and up to Executive level ActiBlizz people.

Oi. This is my way of criticizing people for thinking that this is enough. We need to stay on Blizz’s case for this. Because this changes absolutely nothing for the victims.

1 Like

Blizzard completely replaced Kael’thas’ voice actor in WoW, including previously recorded lines from older expansions, based solely on a rumor. I don’t think they need much of anything except a “This might cause bad PR for the company” reason to let anyone go. The rumors don’t even have to be true.

This is not “ignoring th issue”, this is a separate decision. You know some devs might have known IRL McCree and even were friends with, after what happened i don’t think they want to see that name again.

As a fellow victim of SA, I disagree. I would not want to work on a game where my abuser is referenced. People react differently, and that is why they came to this decision. Not for the community, but for their workers.

We don’t know what other things are going on behind the scenes, either. We don’t know what changes are being made and what protections are being put in place for victims and other workers.

In the end, this change isn’t for you, and it will not affect you. (You as in speaking generally, not directly towards OP.) People are blowing this out of proportion, imo.

2 Likes

You apparently think the majority of their player base consists of functional adults. I’d be willing to bet that the majority of their player base is actually under the age of “adulthood.”

That being said, if you are a “functional adult,” why do you care if they change the name or not? Personally, I couldn’t care less. But if they do change it, and it makes some people feel better, then win win?

To the OP - there were a lot of people requesting that mcrees name be changed. Just because you think it wouldn’t help you, personally, doesn’t mean it won’t make others feel better.

not sure what you expect Team 4 to do, they cant change the coporate actions but they can do this to have some solace. this wasnt from blizzard it was Team 4

It is. Sadly a lot of people will fall for it, others prefer to have some sort of fake resolution and the sad part is that as you said, this does absolutely nothing for the victims, if anything it makes it worse because it puts the spotlight on the situation, and they will be reminded of this for years to come. It’s really disgusting what they are doing.

1 Like

Like you said, people react differently, but the problem is that what they are doing will make things even worse not better. Because of this name change, they have brought the spotlight to this matter, when most people out there didn’t even know about it. Now the victims will be reminded constantly about it one way or another. They just put a target on their back for PR reasons and that is just disgusting. They have made things worse not better and I’m sad that so many people can’t see it.

This was a choice by the OVERWATCH team, not the whole company.

The Overwatch team can’t do anything you reference, as they are not the company. Just a department in it. They’re doing their part to help in the way they can, by not causing any potential PTSD or issues by people seeing his name everyday at work.

The real person was already fired. This is the only thing the team can do for their fellow employees while also fighting against their own company for better rights.

thats crazy if true, you have a source for this info dont have to link it can link a phrase. would want to read that. evidence is stacking up against this mccree guy, i mean i dont know him or the evidence against him but thats kind of powerful