McCree / Brigitte interaction

So, Was playing OW today and came across an interaction between McCree and Brigitte that said something along the lines of “i get wearing the armor and all but following your dad around must be challenging”.

It got me thinking - given the gender equality issues in the video game industry and more importantly player base, do you feel this interaction is a) appropriate or b) adds anything to the game?
I question whether you would make an equivalent sound byte for a male character.
I would love for Blizzard to question the need for this interaction.

“The old man” is Reinhardt.
The interaction is basically:
I get that you want to wear the armor, but following Reinhardt must be nothing but a pain.

With her saying, basically:
I find honor following him around and wouldn’t have it any other way.

Basically confirming that Brigitte really likes the “student, master” relationship she has with Reinhardt.

8 Likes

Thanks for the add - my point is more around context though.
In game McCree who doesnt really know Brigitte (to my knowledge) goes straight for reminding Brigitte that she sits in her old mans shadow (torb).

Compare this to the Zen / Genji comms where Zen does nothing but praise his apprentice - i believe the exact quote is “It is good to fight alongside one of my brightest pupils”. I dont think you’d ever see a soundbyte of anyone telling genji the same thing being said to Brig

That’s the thing, you’re reading “old man” as father.
When in this case, McCree uses “old man” as Reinhardt, to my understanding.

It’s true, McCree doesn’t know who Brigitte really is, but he’s assuming because of the experiences he has with the aforementioned “old man.”

Genji and Zen has the same student/ master relationship, but Genji came under Zenyatta to find out “who he was” which is why Zenyatta refers to him as “his brightest pupil.”

I find that Genji is Zenyatta’s “brightest pupil” because Genji ultimately found peace within himself. Which is what Zenyatta is striving for, peace.

5 Likes

That’s cause Genji is the only one really familiar with Zenyatta and the people who do know Reinhardt know him for his quixotic view of the world. It has nothing to do with gender.

5 Likes

That’s…not the point of that interaction at all. McCree is looking for insight as to why Brigitte chooses to follow Reinhardt around and deal with his antics. He says he understands her desire to wear the armor and join the fight, but thinks following Reinhardt around must get tiresome. It has literally nothing to do with her gender.

7 Likes

Here is the interaction :

McCree : Believe me, I’d get wanting to wear the armor and all, but following the old man around must be nothing but trouble.
Brigitte : I don’t see it that way… To me, it’s an honor.*

So you’re wrong about the interaction, the old man is Rein, not Torb. It also reflects the fact that McCree thinks that wandering the world with Rein and his personality must be tiring and bring her more trouble than anything. (Go check the comic Junkenstein to see how Jesse feels about Rein and his way of telling stories)

6 Likes

You need to relax and stop overthinking

1 Like