May 2019 - Stylosa / Jeff Kaplan Interview - NOW LIVE (Read this for notes)

Don’t want to watch? All of the important notes are below:

REPLAY SYSTEM - NEW FEATURE

• It has been one of the most heavily requested features since day 1 (this is very true.
  • A replay will reconstruct the entire data stream for all 12 players in a match which makes this very complicated. The developers have always had the ability to watch a replay from their end for quality assurance purposes. The data simply could not just be played on the game client without breaking.
  • There are no promises, but they are considering finding ways to share replays with others (not yet available).
  • The replay system has all OWL observer features including top-down view and time scaling.
  • Plans to continue to develop the replay system will include sharing replays, bookmarking replays (so they are not immediately deleted if the oldest), make replays work across patches, and video export features.
  • There will be an upcoming Pro Player viewer client (PC Platform Only) that will allow users to watch past Overwatch League matches (after a holdover period) using a separate client.

1.37 PTR BALANCE CHANGES (Click here for 1.37 patch notes)

• Orisa’s ability to deploy shield during reload is a key quality of life change.
  • Kaplan (personal opinion): “Torb is a beast and is WAY OP. And he needs to be toned down.” (Torbjorn’s damage output was nerfed in this latest patch.)
  • Kaplan: “Defense Matrix is the most powerful tanking ability in the game.” D.Va players must position better in order to be effective. (D.Va defense matrix distance was nerfed this patch.)
  • Kaplan on Assault: I think Assault is a truly competitive and compelling game mode, but we knew Assault had problems.
  • Several alterations were tested before deciding on the time extension reduction and the defense hero respawn time during a snowball.
  • They tried dramatic steps including building a forward spawn room for defenders on point A Volskaya, increased capture progress time, and more.

MAP EDITOR DISCUSSION

• The internal map editor is incredibly complicated and tied into the internal asset system that developing an end user map editor is still a really long way from becoming a reality.

UPCOMING FEATURES AND NEWS

• Kaplan: “I think it’s going to be a very exciting summer, and I think this is going to be a very different summer. There is going to be some mix-up when some things land.”
48 Likes

I’m not sure that an ‘interview’ conducted by this individual will be worth anything.

19 Likes

The last one in March was quite productive and gave us a lot of insight to what was coming for Overwatch:

11 Likes

The last one was HUGE. Who cares who is conducting the interview? I just want the information. You do not even need to watch it. This homie will transcribe the entire thing. So don’t your worry your pretty little head about it.

43 Likes

Ugh, if anything they need to give Torb a QOL update/buff that auto reloads when he uses Overload.

3 Likes

I hope we get actual answers to what they have planned for the future and not something ‘‘great’’ that will surprise us, the workshop was a nice surprise tho.

4 Likes

You’re funny. I hope you’re ready for some vague hints about cool new amazing projects in the works.

7 Likes

Honestly with Jeff coming in here less and less this is probably the closest to actual responses to questions the community might have. Plus it’s a bit better since the interviewer can have a follow up question to an answer to get more details.

2 Likes

While no doubt “Stylosa” is the Morley Safer of your generation – a sad commentary on declining quality – I stand by my assessment.

5 Likes

You mean the ones everyone wants like the hero changes? Lol

Nah, the quality is not high. It is the quantity of information. Most people are not watching it for Sty, but because it is the only information we are going to get for awhile. Ha ha ha.

I am pleased that we were able to reach a consensus. Enjoy your tripe.

5 Likes

Thrillho’s sass is on 10 today.

3 Likes

Thank you, I most certainly will.

I personally enjoy most of Stylosa’s content. He and I met at last year’s BlizzCon and outside of the videos he is quite a pleasant fellow…

Google Photos

22 Likes

I am feeling most pugilistic today.

I am also a pleasant man. I will contact the national news magazines regarding positions, as this is all that seems to be required by the youth.

3 Likes

I have this headcanon that you’re a nihilistic retired linguistics professor who drinks tar black coffee and scowls at people all day. Please tell me I’m at least a little right.

5 Likes

You are, indeed, partially correct. I did teach at the university level after retiring from advertising. My doctorate, however, is in sociology. I have to have a bit of cream in my coffee.

6 Likes

But do you scowl at people all day?

1 Like

Only those who deserve it.

5 Likes