Matchmaking in Ranked and Quickplay = lootbox based matchmaking

We need private borders :neutral_face:

1 Like

Ya I’ve been playing QP a lot lately with a friend of mine. Were both silver borders, and I’ve noticed this as well. There all new accounts, the odd time its 1 smurf, but mostly there all new players. It would be nice to play with some more experienced players to make it more enjoyable.

2 Likes

I would love it if i could be shielded from playing with under-level-100 people if i achieved gold border or something, or maybe if you get endorsement 4 you’re shielded from level 2 or below…

5 Likes

Borders have nothing to do with skill. There are level 25s in GM and plat borders in bronze

Not true. It doesn’t allways have to do with skill, but mostly noobs are noobs. the odd gm 25 or plat bronze are exeptions.

1 Like

Well, it certainly isn’t an accurate representation

I don’t think border based selection in matchmaking is a good solution. I’ve played with and against gold border players who were worse then a bronze player (thought it’s rare). But Blizzard really should pay attention to how players play. If border selection is in the game, a smurf can still destray the experience for lower players.

Just yesterday my team kept losing because they put us together with silver, gold and 4 star bronze players, while my team was max 23 level bronze players (mostly just level 10) without any stars. I was the only silver, but as an Ana main I couldn’t do much to help them survive. They didn’t have strategy (how could they when they haven’t even played this game that long). The shield forgot to use the shield, the others were running around so I couldn’t even hunt them down for a little healing, and then I was left alone in enemy territory when they died.

Another day it was the opposite. We played against a team with low levels bronze. I didn’t even use my ult, because it felt like cheating against them. They couldn’t even leave spawn, which was boring, no matter that we won. It was not a fair game.

Just imagine someone as a new player gets selected into this team. He/She will lose all confidence and just leave the game beacuse they can’t win, they think they are clumsy. Or if they are selected into a team that has golden players as well. New player won’t be able to fulfill the role they are playing, and golden payers will be frustrated, new player will be frustrated, and then comes the abusive chat where everyone is so clever what the new player should do, when he/she doesn’t even really know the character. I’ve seen this more than once play out, which is sad.

1 Like

This is why I keep losing matches, both frequently, and by a landslide. The matchmaking system sucks in this game. It doesn’t work. So your saying the more loot boxes you buy, the more the matchmaking will work? What tips do you have? How can I even win more matches?

I thought this was a joke. But then saw a pcgamer article saying that they did indeed patent a loot-box-based matchmaking. However, we don’t know for sure whether it has been implemented in OW.

IF they did though, I must say this company has truly become a band of scumbags.

you guys do realize that blizzard has to find ways to make a living. it is a business after all. Not a public service that you have a right to. I don’t like the possibility of them doing that. Fortnite also has similar tactics… find a group to stop matching with noobs, perhaps.

btw, I play OW and enter queues alone most often, I wait like 50 minutes to get into the open queue competitive… It’s happening as we speak. That’s now a bad
state of affairs

1 Like

The hottest of takes

Good lord…

In ranked 2800 I saw only matches between platstucks as me and some gold border.
Which is mostly fair
Other time i did see smurfs or al accounts 100-300 lvl
Random

he is out of line but he’s right.

honestly, people need to stop blaming the matchmaker. It’s not the game’s fault that you are losing. There are probably countless ways in which you could’ve won a game if you played differently. If your DPS is peforming poorly, go Baptiste and help. If your tanks need more sustain, go Bap/Ana. If there’s a monkey, ball, or any dive heroes in general, go Brig or Ana. The same thing can be said about DPS and Tanks

I agree the mm is garbage at this time. But unfortunately you have no idea what you’re talking about. What patent? I legit hate activision as much as anyone else but really, what patent?

These for starters, ez google search:
Patent numbers:
US10322351B2
US20160001181A1
(Sure there is more)

2 Likes

Thank you. Consider me legitimately surprised they have patents on a matchmaking system. This considerably changes my view on this. Not that they were high in the first place.

1 Like

Just keep in mind that these patents have never been ‘acknowledged’ or ‘confirmed’ that they are used in Overwatch.

1 Like

Thank you for inventions looking at. My friend also post rigging list but post can not be searched for? It is a loss because he explain some detail of how mechanism work why it not real competition. My EU friend are now afraid of system. Perhaps talking about system put you in gulag with Stalin laugh.

1 Like

This is a much more complete discussion. From what i have seen they not removing any of these posts.

2 Likes