Matchmaker put me in an "unwinnable game", I won

Me, as a 1700 player, was placed in a match that had an average sr of 1975. I felt really out of my depth and kinda complained the whole time as a pocketed mccree ripped us a new one. Ultimately my side was able to make a push through once I swapped to baptise and we just plowed through their line and kept them staggered.

We won the game and I got a whole 31sr. I did not feel like that was a deserved amount since I don’t feel like I did much… however my MMR is probably around the 1800 area. I had an sr of 1687 and went to 1718 after that game.

Games aren’t unwinnable - sometimes they are just hard until you know who to counter.

4QYMT8 - please note that I nano’d the mercy, it wasn’t an accident. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

We’ve all seen that post, and it’s getting a little stale at this point. No need to spam it.

11 Likes

It isn’t stale to the new players that see it every week. And I will ‘freshen it up’ very soon, so don’t worry.

6 Likes

The only thing you are going to ‘Freshen Up’, is the amount of reports you will be getting for spamming your post

10 Likes

Inb4 “OMG CENSORSHIP! I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO ADVERTISE MY OLD THREAD EVERYWHERE EVEN WHEN ITS NOT RELEVANT!”

Almost like most people on the forums have read the fossil of a thread and don’t care what “updates” it gets. We’ve all seen it and any other thread like it would have been closed for being out dated and rightfully locked from being link spammed everywhere. It’s over 3 years old and the original is even older than that. It’s time to let the old thread die, not say “well it still gets likes/attention!” even though none of that attention is off of its own merit but instead by its link being more common than an annoying pop up ad on a virus filled website.

6 Likes

Thank you for posting this. I had not seen this thread myself appreciate the link keep up the good work. Sorry for the false flaggers. Hopefully moderation deals with them. We just need to persevere and bring attention to this issue

2 Likes

puh-leeeease dude! How many alts you gonna make swinging from each others’ sacks?

6 Likes

Careful, clearly they need more fuel to turn themselves into martyrs to justify their grand crusade for the “people to see the light”. It’s practically turning into a cult the way anything that either says why/how they’re wrong or just doesn’t agree, either “just doesn’t understand/is ignorant” or “is trying to silence the truth”. They’re language shows they’ve never been interested in “good faith discussion” no matter how much they try to use their buzzwords to claim it.

They will continue the more we give them attention, if only people realized that detail and a lot of buzzwords ≠ accuracy

4 Likes

Cool, thanks for outing yourself as cuthbert’s alt. One more to put on ignore! :+1:

8 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet. Thank you

1 Like

Gud dem, they’re like cockroaches…

Edit: Imagine putting out 7000 heals/10 mins on Ana and wondering why you’re in Gold.

3 Likes

This is the fattest lie I’ve ever seen with a near 2500 post count lol

Also, moderation did deal with the troll. They deleted his comment.

3 Likes

Good job on the win dude I’m sure you’ll hit gold soon!

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate that! It seems like the closer I get to gold the more mixed the bag and types of players I get. Some people know when to pull back and others are even more oblivious than any Bronze player.

So far these are the things I’ve learned from each rank:
Bronze - Stick with the team but focus on yourself.
Silver - Support your teammates, even if you don’t want to. Sometimes you’ll fail.
Gold - (looks like) be aware of sight lines/positioning. Snipers start having aim.

4 Likes

Well look at my profile. Realize when it was made. Know this is my first forums account. NOW STOP POSTING IT I’M ALREADY SICK OF IT.

4 Likes

sorta true i can see where your coming from

on my placements 1 game was just unwinnable

When people say “unwinnable” they don’t literally mean 100% unwinnable. They mean “way harder than it ought to be”, alluding to some kind of extreme inconsistency in performance expectations (when your MMR scales up much faster than your SR, the correspondence is lost and games feel unwinnable or uncarryable).

From dev statements, the MM attempts to rig games towards a 50/50 outcome in expecation. From what we can speculate using patents and the like, during lowpop conditions it can be difficult to satisfy these knapsacking constraints (KSR). So it slacks this forcing of odds, probably to within bounds of [40/60 … 60/40].

But who knows, maybe it slacks that to 70/30 which would definitely feel like a “forced” loss - you would have to have the game of your life to carry through those rigged odds, players feel that, they know that and give up for next, meaning stomps, etc. The whole system is breaking down because people are sick of having MMR bring the ranks to them, forcing sweat where it shouldn’t be forced.

For more info:

wait a second… ARE YOU CUTHBERT?!

2 Likes

why’d you withdraw the post?

1 Like

Probably realized they got exposed so they need to hide.