Matchmaker IS rigged..but not how you think

From the article: Later information suggests MMR is actually gone for competitive.

An alternate (but acceptable) hypothesis, in which I completely believe new posts (and declare obsolete inconvenient old posts) would be the following: MMR does not exist anymore. Posts describing MMR in competitive are obsolete. Match making is based on SR alone (48), except in the case of decayed players, where there is a specific hack in the code to use their “internal skill rating” instead of their “displayed skill rating” in match making. I’m not ready to change my whole post to support this hypothesis, as it hasn’t been explicitly endorsed by Blizzard, though it would be the correct conclusion if you ignore posts from February 2018 or earlier.

What would not be a reasonable conclusion is that matchmaking is based on some amalgamation of SR and MMR that ends up rigging matches or breaking the system. Regardless of what we call the number used to make matches, it goes up when you win, down when you lose, and is a single number.

SR closely chases your MMR up and down and is a more “digestible” number. With the exception of top players who have decayed, MMR and SR are closely linked.

The above is from Jeff Kaplan. He suggests that MMR and SR are different numbers, but based on the “digestible” part, I’m guessing he doesn’t mean different as in SR is 2550, but MMR has moved and is 2650… It seems he means it’s a more complicated number. He says that only decayed players have an SR and MMR that are not “closely linked”.

Above he says

Skill Rating decays but your internal Matchmaking rating (the thing that determines who is matched against who – not SR) does not decay.

Further providing evidence that it’s only Decay that causes SR and MMR to become unlinked.

Moo,

What timezone are you? I’m EST. I’d group with you for some games.

We could, you know, just get rid of all public ranking, and hide that too. What would people do if they couldn’t rank themselves from Bronze to great grand masterhead? They’d have to know nobody is actually really caring. The truth would come out :wink:

1 Like

i doubt that, it’s much more likely that higher skilled players get put into game with overall higher skill that at some point makes them the weakest player on the team

and thus have a hard time keeping up and probably lose

1 Like

I have been saying this for a long time and I am always compared to people who believe in a flat earth.

If you look at your listed “side effects” from the point of view of a game that is considered E-Sport compatible, then you could also call it trickery. In addition, there are many other “side effects” besides those listed.
This is a good starting point.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160005270A1/en

“MMO matchmaking” is only acceptable in PVE.

1 Like

This has long been a persistent myth. Provide your sources.

The speed “misranked” players will get to a rank they’re more appropriate in depending on how badly they are “misranked”. A low Bronze player playing on a Platinum account will lose more games and drop SR faster than a mid-high Silver player playing on the same Platinum account. And a GM will win more games and gain SR faster on a Platinum account than a low Masters/high Diamond player playing on that same Platinum account.

That being said, this isn’t supposed to be a progression system at all, this is supposed to be a ranked system. You don’t climb or drop unless it’s clear that you’re actually better or worse than the rank you’re currently playing at. Obviously, there’s going to be human variance involved because you’re one human with 5 human teammates playing against 6 human opponents.

This is very incorrect. The NFL is an example of fully-organized league play, just like the Overwatch League. Teams sign players to play for them, and who they play and when they play them is known long in advance of the actual game. And if the players can’t perform to the team’s expectations, they’re benched or even released.

Im in MST i dont mind grouping up my sr hops between 2100-2500 range… i am a horrible tank player…i can dps and heal depending on whats needed. My wife plays off tank and heals she can do some dps too a little. We r alwaya happy to group up with peeps …use to be part of a devisional team (not pro at all lol was more learning then anything else) but real life just took over and we couldnt make it on the times needed.

If I’m getting 3-5min queue times in high silver, I’m calling it a night because I’m not going to be getting fair matches, its as simple as that.

2 Likes

So what you wrote is exactly what i think and exactly why this games match maker is trash

Moo,

I have a gold account that main tanks. Look up Aegis#1899. Not sure if you can add me with that name in game or not. We’ll try to play some games.

I agree that it should be random and there should be no thing in the background judging you. If random and just picked random people within your SR range (say 20 or more), good players could rank up easier and the worse players would fall eventually. Pretty sure thats how Starcraft 2 matchmaking works and if your like a new account and just winning all your games you climb fast (well your first like 30 games or so, its trying to place you). But yeah, you can get to masters with less than 100 APM (actions per minute), game doesnt care about that or measure those types of things because its a complicated game (counters, strategies, etc), only wins and losses are what matter.

or the devs could publish how it worked

What MHz said.

This system is terrible. I can’t climb as a support. I score picks, I kill people when they ult, no one from my team does anything or follows up.
From almost Diamond, I have dropped to Gold…
Apparently, I forgot how to play…

If the laws were to ever catch up to technology and supposed e-sports like Overwatch were to be regulated, a simple audit of the code of the matchmaker would prove, that they are scamming us players.

The mathmaker creates terrible matches, that only frustrate those, that pull their weight, stucks them and forces them to carry random noobs. It’s all it does. Zero fairness!

Ef this game and ef the lying developers! If only I could get a refund…

3 Likes

We still waiting on that Infowars section?

Yes this is how the matchmaker works. Terrible, terrible system. They do it so that more people are in gold so most people can feel they are at least average. What this does to actual average or slightly above average players is give the worst experience possible.

The people pulling their weight are always having to play at 200% while people who have no idea what’s going on are given free wins because the system wants noobs, casuals, weekend players, etc. to hop on once a week and have a good chance at winning.

This is also why the people who are a little better than gold keep having dramatic fluctuations in SR. It puts good players against all the smurfs, players the system is unsure where to rank, etc. to create “fair matches.” About half the population in gold/plat actually need to be in silver but these are the players Blizzard uses to keep everyone in gold by distributing bad players in such a way that games are literally rigged.

The reason is to let the majority of players feel average for the casual experience. If the system was honest from the get-go and let bad players just be in bronze and silver, those players would have accepted their rank eventually and the game would be much funner and fairer. Why do you think most new accounts place in gold but only like 5% of new accounts in gold play at a gold level? They are always smurfs who belong in diamond or above or they are literally complete noobs that need to be in silver or below.

Any game with an honest matchmaker will sort itself out in time. The longer you play a competitive game and the longer the game itself has been out, it’s only natural that if the system is fair, the matches would be more and more consistent as times goes on. I believe many people would say OW is anything BUT consistent.

The matchmaker between silver and platinum is basically a vortex where everyone is being pulled into gold. This is why there are so many terrible players (the silver players who are basically forced upwards) and there’s people like myself who despite climbing to plat 100s of times, always drop back to gold.

2 Likes

This!

What I speculate is this:
Blizzard think, that people stuck in bronze and silver would quit (and therefore not spend any real money on loot boxes), which is why they rigged comp.

And when you play support at 200%, but your teammates are not of proportional skill, DPS doesn’t know how to shoot, Tank doesn’t know how to engage… you get a loss.

remember when they promised even losing you can still win SR if you played the best

or how you don’t lose SR if someone quits and you can safely quit

I agree that they could be more forthcoming about how it works.

1 Like

People still get mad at me for refusing to leave after someone on my team left… I lost 50SR once “safely” leaving and then won two matches in a row where I got almost nothing for winning… Don’t need to do that more than once to learn.

I’ll keep my hard earned SR thank you.

yeah that point of that was how often they lie about stuff like that