Matchmaker IS rigged..but not how you think

Kel,

I agree with you on this. No serious competitive system hides how it ranks. Would OWL players play that sort of sport?

2 Likes

Yes my friend, this is very good summary for how part of this matchmaker work. As others have state many time, the skill variance between teammate is so huge. When this observer system is release it will be very obvious the skill level difference among teammate.

4 Likes

It’s probably a machine learning model. It’s not in English. The only way to know more about it would be to run simulations against it. This is of course speculation.

2 Likes

Now, here’s the trick question…

…would the OWL players consider their game to actually be more serious and better if everyone got to see their scores in this game, and would they believe they would be taken more seriously.

I’m not one, but I bet they would. Why wouldn’t they want people to know how skilled they are in actuality? It’s one thing to be an OWL player or pro-streamer stomping people as they play, and another to show exactly how much. You’d actually have even more respect for them.

Tactician,

Matching players by SR is secondary to the matchmaker. It uses your mmr primarily. (Which is hidden)
-As for the “stomps” you mention…It normally comes from those matches that the Higher Skilled player does not perform high enough to make up for the lower skilled team mates

You’re right that I did not speak on the lower skilled team mates in my OP. I assumed the opposite would be inferred.
-Lower skilled players will BENEFIT from being matched with Higher skilled players, by having wins they would not normally get. But they will still drop in SR overall, albeit slowly.
The Higher Skilled player will raise slowly for the same reason, but as a detriment from the lower skilled player.

I do agree with you on needing transparency in the MMR Formula.

1 Like

According to the best information collected in the below article, SR and MMR match, since they move at the same time. The only exception is for Leaver / DC penalties, and Decay. It may even be possible that MMR no longer exists in Competitive.

All according to this article:

The MMR formula for Competitive is transparent. They’ve said it moves exactly as much as SR, and hinted that it actually no longer exists.

I don’t think this is true. According to the article, (which is a well researched collection of all the information that has been made public, including links to the source materials) they try to match solely on similar SR for all 12 players. There’s also the “find a match quicker” mechanism which does accept larger gaps, but there is no evidence that this is in response to someone’s recent performance.

Vurg,

SR and MMR do not match and will very rarely be the same. Here is a quote from your reference article:
“With the exception of diamond+ players who have decayed and the disconnection penalty (see below), MMR and SR are closely linked (22). The SR/MMR convergence is implemented by having each match pull SR in the direction of MMR. That is, if SR is lower than MMR, a player will win more SR than MMR on a win, and lose less SR than MMR on a loss”

“Linked” does not mean equal or match. SR is constantly chasing your MMR, for lack of a better example.

All the information from my OP still applies.

1 Like

My friends, a proper matchmaker should never, under any circumstance, in shape or form of all kind arrange teams to be fair match. People who do not understand proper matchmaking think this is crazy “why would you not balance match?”.

A forced balanced match create the elo hell, this is what blizz cannot understand, I truly think they cannot comprehend.

8 Likes

I agree. Skill Rating in OW, doesn’t actually mean your true skill…whether bad or good. The match maker has too much input for it to be true skill.

1 Like

Somewhere i read or heard that it took the OW team 3 years to create the matchmaking (ranking?) system.

Even if only a single person was working on it… holy sh1t thats alot of code for something that could be rather simple.

Sure u could TRY to find 5 other people to play with that are at or around ur SR…all my friends that use to play have since left the game…lfg is a crap shoot half the time…unless u can comit x amount of ur time to play with or on a discord group that idea is not a feasible thing to do sadly…sorry i have 2 kids i have to take care of…i get maybe 2ish hours a day to play…never at the same time. Ur idea sounds great but bliz never gave us a guild system (for no apparent reason) so unless i know of some discord thing i cant do that. …so my option is to solo que or due que with my wife everynow and again.

From the article: Later information suggests MMR is actually gone for competitive.

An alternate (but acceptable) hypothesis, in which I completely believe new posts (and declare obsolete inconvenient old posts) would be the following: MMR does not exist anymore. Posts describing MMR in competitive are obsolete. Match making is based on SR alone (48), except in the case of decayed players, where there is a specific hack in the code to use their “internal skill rating” instead of their “displayed skill rating” in match making. I’m not ready to change my whole post to support this hypothesis, as it hasn’t been explicitly endorsed by Blizzard, though it would be the correct conclusion if you ignore posts from February 2018 or earlier.

What would not be a reasonable conclusion is that matchmaking is based on some amalgamation of SR and MMR that ends up rigging matches or breaking the system. Regardless of what we call the number used to make matches, it goes up when you win, down when you lose, and is a single number.

SR closely chases your MMR up and down and is a more “digestible” number. With the exception of top players who have decayed, MMR and SR are closely linked.

The above is from Jeff Kaplan. He suggests that MMR and SR are different numbers, but based on the “digestible” part, I’m guessing he doesn’t mean different as in SR is 2550, but MMR has moved and is 2650… It seems he means it’s a more complicated number. He says that only decayed players have an SR and MMR that are not “closely linked”.

Above he says

Skill Rating decays but your internal Matchmaking rating (the thing that determines who is matched against who – not SR) does not decay.

Further providing evidence that it’s only Decay that causes SR and MMR to become unlinked.

Moo,

What timezone are you? I’m EST. I’d group with you for some games.

We could, you know, just get rid of all public ranking, and hide that too. What would people do if they couldn’t rank themselves from Bronze to great grand masterhead? They’d have to know nobody is actually really caring. The truth would come out :wink:

1 Like

i doubt that, it’s much more likely that higher skilled players get put into game with overall higher skill that at some point makes them the weakest player on the team

and thus have a hard time keeping up and probably lose

1 Like

I have been saying this for a long time and I am always compared to people who believe in a flat earth.

If you look at your listed “side effects” from the point of view of a game that is considered E-Sport compatible, then you could also call it trickery. In addition, there are many other “side effects” besides those listed.
This is a good starting point.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160005270A1/en

“MMO matchmaking” is only acceptable in PVE.

1 Like

This has long been a persistent myth. Provide your sources.

The speed “misranked” players will get to a rank they’re more appropriate in depending on how badly they are “misranked”. A low Bronze player playing on a Platinum account will lose more games and drop SR faster than a mid-high Silver player playing on the same Platinum account. And a GM will win more games and gain SR faster on a Platinum account than a low Masters/high Diamond player playing on that same Platinum account.

That being said, this isn’t supposed to be a progression system at all, this is supposed to be a ranked system. You don’t climb or drop unless it’s clear that you’re actually better or worse than the rank you’re currently playing at. Obviously, there’s going to be human variance involved because you’re one human with 5 human teammates playing against 6 human opponents.

This is very incorrect. The NFL is an example of fully-organized league play, just like the Overwatch League. Teams sign players to play for them, and who they play and when they play them is known long in advance of the actual game. And if the players can’t perform to the team’s expectations, they’re benched or even released.

Im in MST i dont mind grouping up my sr hops between 2100-2500 range… i am a horrible tank player…i can dps and heal depending on whats needed. My wife plays off tank and heals she can do some dps too a little. We r alwaya happy to group up with peeps …use to be part of a devisional team (not pro at all lol was more learning then anything else) but real life just took over and we couldnt make it on the times needed.

If I’m getting 3-5min queue times in high silver, I’m calling it a night because I’m not going to be getting fair matches, its as simple as that.

2 Likes

So what you wrote is exactly what i think and exactly why this games match maker is trash