Matchmaker Designed To Keep You At The Wrong Rank

I’ve seen this a lot with players at lower ranks in the years I’ve been playing. Including myself. I’ve worked hard to improve. Been coached multiple times, record and review all of my games. And it’s a pattern that can’t be ignored.

Putting the aimbotting, smurfing and throwing issues aside, SR allocation and subtraction makes staying in a new rank harder than getting there. You get pulled down even harder for every loss and gain less for each win. You earned your way into that new rank, but it can be taken away, and even more with it being possible to lose so much SR as to drop 2 ranks, in only a few games.

This is consistent through both console and PC. You dip one toe in a new rank or even an old one and you get punted halfway back to the swimming pool changing rooms. Happened to me in gold, happened to me every time I tried to get back into silver.

There is a lot that needs to be fixed in this regard before Overwatch 2 is released if the pvp multiplayer is going to be the same one.

7 Likes

They not fixing this. They make money from it, and its addictive. So I’m sure they not gona touch their pride and joy ‘matchmaker’,cause for them its perfect.

10 Likes

Surely they would be worried about the ethics if this were the case? That’s a lot of bad karma for the MM engineers and their bosses.

Think about the players who may have physically harmed themselves over their rank?

Obviously this will happen on any ladder but it would seem to me this would be a large reason not to implement a system described by OP. As it would most certainly shift liability in a disadvantageous direction for Company?

1 Like

“Length of Time played” NEEDS to be weighted heavier in the algorithm

3 Likes

Thank MMR for putting people in your games that are well below your skill level so you have to carry even harder :^)

8 Likes

Reading between the lines, you are describing the effects of MMR, which is a covert handicapping system. More info:

4 Likes

Nope, they would just collect a check. No souls to be found. Look at the patents for the MM, it’s rigged for their pleasure.

3 Likes

lmafo dude you must always keep an excuse in your back pocket. Yeah smurfing is scummy but overall if you are good at the game you will always land in the rank you belong. If you are upset because you aren’t where you THINK you should be after years of playing, you are just delusional. Enjoy your rank bro.

3 Likes

Careful dude… You gonna unleash the wrath of the entitled cry-babies :sweat_smile:

You’ve been warned…

3 Likes

The problem is the sheer volume of alts/smurfs has unfairly weighted the game so being “good” is skewed. The tiers are now stacked.

2 Likes

You belong in the rank you’re in.

The sooner you realize that you belong in the rank you’re in, the sooner you’ll actually climb.

Alts and smurfs exist at every single level of gameplay outside of >4300. You belong in the rank you’re in.

4 Likes

You can say it all you want, but the “you belong in the rank you’re in” doesn’t hold true unless one accepts the stacking going on. The sooner you can admit it the faster you will be woke. No offense, but I have played across seven accounts since the week before Moira came out, so I am not “new” nor are you. OTOH, no question the stacking has skewed the meaning of SR.

1 Like

And I’ll bet my bottom dollar all of them are within 200 SR of each other, proven further you are in the rank you deserve.

1 Like

Nope, but nice try. Send me invite Ill prove it.

Bro I solo queued from bronze to 3.9K

2 Likes

I solo qued from 3800 to where I am now (hurt myself at work and my hands dont work right)

2 Likes

OR you could just unlock the profiles, and talk here,

2 Likes

I don’t care, the matchmaker has statistical issues no question.

3 Likes

Not going to do that, sorry. But I assure you across multiple accounts the spread is far greater in some cases, even a tier more. No reason for me to lie.

So lying? Open profile or lies, you decide.

2 Likes