Match making is blowing my mind up

I will start this off. I am not a smurf. I am a high gold/low plat player. I just have multiple accounts. I am not put into positions to pub stomp or anything like that. I always queue solo on ladder. I play where I belong.

With that being said.

I have 3 accounts that carry over from previous seasons. I always place kind of where I left off, around 2100. Last night, I hit level 25, and did my placements on tank. I hit 2700+. Now, this is higher than I ever peaked at during the regular Overwatch where 2/2/2 was not forced.

What gives?

I just can’t understand how I can play the same way in these other games on other accounts and barely move SR. Yet, halfway through my placements I was starting to question the match making when I saw myself unranked, surrounded by plat and diamond players, knowing I’m always stuck in low Gold on every other account on tank.

http s://postimg.cc/1VrbcXgZ

So between 2 other accounts I can barely climb, yet if I do well in 1-2 games during placement, I get better teams, and end up higher than I ever did without role queue? And you want to tell me about “if you’re good you’ll climb”? And no, I didn’t change ANYTHING I do. There was no better comms, I don’t use a mic. There was nothing I did any different. I jumped from level 25 arcade right into placements.

We really, really need some insight to the MMR/SR deal about this game. This is insanity.

2 Likes

exact same thing happened to me - but now it gets stranger.

1st account, playing since launch, Open queue I was a rein main I average low gold dipped into silver (hard stuck for 3-4 seasons). Dps was in bronze, got to mid silver.

I create a new account, my tank unfortunately goes to silver, and I’m like “ok tank MMR is the same”, but my dps is almost plat, and I hit it couple of seasons ago. So I’m thinking lets go back to my main account, get that guy out of silver if my new account can hang with the plat guys… CANT get out of silver on my first account.

Mean while, role queue tank I break the silver ceiling finally and low gold…

I appreciate the try of this ranking stuff. I understand the need for it, cause some folks are more gifted than others. Others have better strategies that mechanics. But the execution of this system is terrible!

I’ll say it again, it all starts with the matches. If all or even “more” matches felt even, there would be no complaint. But MOST feel lopsided other loss or win.

3 Likes

I don’t know, you might have been placed too high. Play a few more games, or a hundred, and see if you are still plat.
If you are, then I guess you can conclude that the MMR on your older accounts is “broken” in some way.

I was constantly mid plat before 2/2/2 was forced. Highest I think was around 2700.

I agree, handicapping competitive matches with Match Making Rating is insane.

More information in my thread:

Same thing with support now. Again, I didn’t magically change over night. So on all my other accounts I’m 2100, but now I’m climbing close to diamond? Just like someone waved a wand and presto?

I’m sure this has nothing to do with a new account.

http s://postimg.cc/8F264T3y

Win/loss in placement games has huge impact, possibly higher than performance. Thats why you can place higher than your main. If you will get lucky you could even end up in diamond as tru gold player doing placemetn and like 2 next games on new account. After placement is first two games is like +100 SR.

it has everyting to do with new account. I am suprised you dont know how placemetn on alts works since you said you have few accounts already.

1 Like

new acct gets placed higher then he ever has…hmmmmm i wonder if it has anything to do with the new acct and limited data. doubtful, though maybe possible. it must be because Q has infiltrated blizz hq!

1 Like

Some players are less mechanically gifted and do better with better team mates.

eg, support in 2k games there’s good team work and I can heal circa 30%+ and win some lose some.

In FFA I placed bronze and the games are horrid. Everybody runs around like a headless chicken and one game I got healing card for under 20% heals. There’s no team work and just feels futile trying to heal team mates that just walk in 1v6 and get chunked.

Consistent way to climb is to be mechanically gifted and frag out. So, if I was amazing with Bap, I’d just double tap everybody to win.

1 Like

So then what is the point of any of the ranking if I can just buy a new account and place 2700 and stay there (which I have btw, even climbed on support)

I’m the literal exact same person, playing the same as I always do, and can’t break out of low gold. Then buy a new account and be high plat? So if the match making and MMR is so screwy and broken, why even have it in the first place?

Or when I do placements on the other account and place right back in 2200 SR. I must be drunk during some of those game to play that poorly! :laughing:

Who said that you are staying there?

Placement is only 5 games, its far from being accurate, only time will tell if you deserve higher elo, like playing over 50 games there.

1 Like

that is a possibility…never once have i seen a drunk player…

1 Like

I’ve been playing all morning and I’m still hovering around 2700.

But if I log out, go on my other account in low/mid Gold, I can’t move the SR a tick in ranking up? Do my fingers and brain suddenly not work?

1 Like

I’m in the same situation. Was Diamond even for a bit. It’s skill based matchmaking combined with retention based matchmaking that does you in. I’ve met people in my games that have main accounts in masters - stuck here with me in gold.

If your account has been marked as a stabile “winning” account, so every idiot on a losing streak and every poor little player that is “having a bad time” is placed on your team to keep them hopefull and buying gambling boxes. Also pity.

3 Likes

Addendum: This is why match quality has gone down the drain the lsat few seasons too. I bet you could time when they implemented a more aggressive version of this bullpoop by peoples drop in rank as matches went rubbish WITHOUT WARNING.

2 Likes

Speaking of matchmaking, someone PLEASE explain this to me. I just played a game at 2478 SR, likely a placement match for platinum. The opposing team had 5 gold players and one doing placements, and three of those accounts were under level 50. My team had 2 golds (me and one other) and four people doing placements, three of which were below 50, one at 25. How in the hell is this a “platinum placement match”? This makes NO sense. Worse yet, the other team dominated us. It wasn’t even close, because those new accounts I mentioned? Yeah, playing expert level Genji and McCree of course. If you claim that matchmaking isn’t broken, or that smurfs don’t exist, then please do your gold>platinum placement match and see how many times you run into complete turdfests like this.

2 Likes

in ranks below plat and even somtimes plat, its simply a matter of killing your way out of the rank. If you dps, just kill healers and poke the rest.

The matchmaking is weird right now, I’m getting pair with low level accounts and feels wrong, because the enemy team has high level accounts on it. I thought I was with smurf peers, but it was not the case :confused:

Someone let me know when the game is on sale so I can fix my account by buying another copy and erasing my mmr.