Massive FPS Drop After September 2018 Patch

After the last patch I’ve gone from a consistent 100-120fps down to a jerky 20-30fps. I’ve updated my Windows 10 (17134) and I’m running the latest AMD drivers (18.9.1). My ping is fine and my CPU usage seems to be normal (40% while in game), nothing is overheating, and no other program is experiencing and reduction in quality, including my more demanding games.

The only thing that has changed is the game.

I see a ton of other people with the same complaints yet no blue post that’s acknowledged the problems? A little miffed at that considering the number of people who have posted about it. I’d like some help here, please.

10 Likes

The best way to get a blue to interact on these types of things is if we keep a consistent thread going on these issues -

1 Like

Same here, the Busan update reduced my FPS from 60 to 9. When entering the game you can see the FPS counter start at 60 and then drop to 9. Same thing when joining the training range for instance, starts at 60 but as soon as the world starts loading it drops to 9.

2 Likes

I have a fairly decent computer that ran Overwatch at around 60 fps before, but after theBusan update I’m hitting around 15 fps once the game starts. I’m already running at the lowest settings and changed the resolution but it hasn’t been improving. All of my drivers are updated and even when it is the only significant app running it still shows the same results. Idk if its some file that’s eating up all of my CPU/RAM something to that degree.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, nothing has changed in my setup except for the new Busan patch yet my stable 60-70 fps is now a horrid 10-20 fps, i was running on high settings before and even downgrading to low does nothing to fix the issue post patch

I updated my NVIDIA drivers and now I get 60fps again.

the 60 fps will still give me 10 ish every few secs which is not ideal for gaming at all

Hi Same issue here,

i updated all my Drivers, i reinstalled overwatch, i ran multiple anti Virus programs, i cleaned all my Cookies, i defraged my System still i drop down to 9 fps during Team fight.

3 Likes

trust me, updating everything was the first step. no dice. still have trash FPS.

nothing else has any issue. i’ve tried the whole closing chrome while playing thing, too. changes nothing.

I wiped my drivers with ddu and reinstalled the latest version. My spikes aren’t game breaking anymore and I can play above 60fps, but my performance is definitely not as good as before.

I’m having the same issue as everyone else. Had a AMD Radeon 4gb GPU was running it well around 70-80 fps then dropped to 15-25 fps and I just got a new ASUS ROG Strix 1080 GPU and max I can get is 40 fps. That’s maybe for a minute or two then back down to 15-25 in any fight. Can we please just get some acknowledgment that they know we’re having this issue? It’s been like a week now.

1 Like

same problem here, I neved had a huge amount of frames per second, however the card sticked to 50/60fps which is fair enough.

After the patch it’s never going above 30fps… And yes, I’ve tried to update the drivers, the power management and so on…

Finally!
After digging into it,
i came up with a conclusion.
it is actually your graphics driver that has been affected .
i did a complete uninstall of graphics driver using DDU v18.0.0.1 (Display Driver Uninstaller) then i downloaded official graphics driver from the laptop manufacturers website and VOILA! it worked.
My FPS was back to normal…
Hope in your case it helps…

1 Like

Good news. Friend had same problem and after bios update all back to normal. He had drop to 5 fps in game, and after update bios he have 110-120fps in game. Hope this will help you also. All best :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same. Since around the Busan update, my FPS has dropped to 20-30. It’s choppy and broken. Completely unplayable!
intel i5, Radeon R9 290

1 Like

Will there be any fix for this??

I’ve griped about this since launch, but the AMD support for Overwatch is abysmal. I had an R9 290 with an 8350 @ 5Ghz and it could barely maintain 60fps. Now I have an R9 Fury and an R5 1600 @ 3.85Ghz and 3200mhz Samsung B-Die memory and it’s still a stuttery disaster. I can’t maintain 60 fps at 1080p to save my life, and even on LOW settings the game is an unplayable mess.

This is entirely, 100%, inexcusable. It’s been out for years, AMD and Nvidia have had tons of time to get their drivers tuned, Blizzard KNOWS about these issues. Not to mention that it’s been ported to consoles, which means THERE IS A VERSION OF THIS GAME ENGINE RUNNING IN VULKAN RIGHT NOW.

Blizzard is making money hand over fist off this franchise, the least they could do is get their optimization to where it should be for the PC guys. The current state of the game is deplorable.

Probably not so long as it doesn’t affect the OWL.

1 Like

Alright just to update anyone else. I also did a bio update and completely fixed my problem. Simply having game issues because of outdated drivers and things. Check your stuff!

Did not have problems with the game until latest windows and Nvida updates, my guess is it’s not something to do with OW but something to do with the latest drivers Nvida is putting out possibly conflicting with the nonstop torrent of windows updates 10 makes us all eat.