Mass rez wasn't overpowered

I’m pretty sure everyone has experienced this:
You are playing a competitive game.
“Alright, let’s do this.”, you say in your head as you walk out of the spawn doors.

BANG

You see the trail of a bullet and your camera zooms out onto your dead body. The Widowmaker, on the opposite side of the map, has eliminated you. You sigh. “Just a lucky shot”, you remark.

BANG
BANG
BANG

Widowmaker kills more of your teammates, and you are hopeless. What do your teammates say?

“Let’s counterpick, we need to kill the Widow.”

Do you see the issue here? The solution for countering a dps like Widow or Hanzo was and still is to just kill them. Yet Blizz decides to gut Mercy? You could literally stop Mass Rez just by killing her. This faulty logic from Jeff is KILLING this game.

28 Likes

Your reasoning is up for debate but I can agree that it wasn’t overpowered. :slight_smile:

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.
38 Likes

You can block their shots with barriers.

Nothing you can do once Mercy left her hiding spot and flew towards a dead teammate thanks to her invulnerability.

27 Likes

Lol no. If killing a Widow requires more than one person, then killing Mercy requires more than one

2 Likes

You can warm up the riptire? Prep the Grav?

Kill her on the way in?

Treat her like you do Brigitte and don’t burn your ults to kill people in the first place unless you have dealt that that problem?

I want Rez gone. But there is a lot between Mercy leaving a hiding spot, and getting to a Rez position that has counter play.

There is a lot of counter play as Rez is going off, since there are a lot of kill people packed together, and they are all packed together.

Hell use a god damn flashbang on her as she comes in.

I think Rez is bad, and should be removed, but not for those reasons.

She was concidered a troll pick at times when she had mass rez. Lucio / Zen were the meta supports.

17 Likes

ults such as Hammonds and Torbjorns would also prevent a mercy from getting her rez in.

2 Likes

Welp rez was not overpowered when you was able to kill mercy in time she was using it.

3 Likes

you don’t need to kill the widow, you just need to either remove her from her nest, take line of sight from her or present an equal amount of danger for her being exposed

The difference in this analogy of yours is that Widowmaker is particularly immobile while Mercy has always being incredibly slippery thus hunting her was much much harder than hunting widow

1 Like

Exactly, it’s a shame that some people cough Blizzard cough don’t want to admit they are wrong

5 Likes

It wasn’t “OP” but the play style wasn’t what blizzard intended as Jeff explained. Mercy is meant to be a main healing character who stays with her team and heals them, not abandoning the team leaving everyone to die so she can “hide” and rez

12 Likes

Man this gave me a blast to the past. I’m remembering the whole “Just kill her” meme being a serious argument for how to deal with Mass Rez Mercy. I’d put it right next to 4head for biggest “Easier said than done” arguments.

9 Likes

It takes time for them to admit they were wrong.

There was this whole debacle last year with D.va, they said they wanted her to be DM focused, you know, “DM the friendly Junkrat Riptire or Pharah!”. Didnt go well.

Took months and didnt really work out like they intended.

3 Likes

At pro play/ 4.2+. Everywhere else she was viable.

nah they say “stop peaking”
what do you say about massres? Stop killing?

7 Likes

Pretty much. Invulnerability was the real mistake.

Had they given mass res a small cast time and make it where she loses all Ult charge upon cast, then we wouldn’t be here right now.

6 Likes

No, you just kill her. As I said above. How hard is that for you to understand?

I just killl the team after they get revived with an ult so I can try and get a teamwipe.

:man_shrugging:

Right “just kill her” when she’s playing hide and seek lol, so every single time you would have to go way out of your way to find hiding mercy to kill her. Very engaging gameplay, and sometimes even if you found hiding mercy and kill her, she’d come back from spawn and still do 4/5 man Rez so you’d actually have to have someone on spawn camp hiding mercy duty

6 Likes

I personally think that invulnerability was the worst way they could have handled Mercy’s situation. They just gave her amazing ult even more power, thus transforming her into an ult bot. Something like a cleansing or empowering E ability would have solved her issues imo.

I’m going to use the process of elimination. We know that the strategy is bad (Refer to Why I Have Yet to Not Despise Mercy's Current State). We also know that it wasn’t encouraged by the design of the ultimate because, again, the strategy is strategically bad. Then there’s the SR system at the time that was exposed for artificially inflating your SR as Mercy (it gave you more SR when you Resurrect more players).

It wasn’t the strategy and it wasn’t the design of mass Res. It was the SR system. :blush: Even then, they could be extra and just give Mercy certain tweaks that discourage hiding but we already know that the problem was fixed when the SR system was fixed; a month before her rework. :slight_smile:

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.

Just kill the widowmaker who has better aim than your whole team LOl4head Ezclap

If im playing zen and getting dinked constantly I dont go and whine to my teammates about them swapping I should stop peakin the goddarn widow. You can do this as every character. You can not, however, counter mass res as any hero. You need to micromanage your teammates, and im not up for that.

3 Likes