Make a new barrier tank and a new non-barrier tank and then separate them

Really, just try this on experimental. Make the jump.

Obviously this would have to wait for OW2 when new heroes come out so that these roles wouldn’t be tiny but let’s just do this and try it out.

1-1-2-2 (Shield Tank - Bruiser - Damage - Healer)

Then you can buff shield tanks to have strong barriers with no fear of stacking them (aside from Symmetra and Brigitte but one is an ult and one is tiny).

No more double shield, no more double-offtank throw comps. Buff shield tanks to be juggernauts with strong barriers and people WILL want to play them.

(Yes, I know Wrecking Ball is mostly classified as a “main” tank but he would be a bruiser under this scheme.)

Also, with competitive open queue coming as a core feature this further split wouldn’t force anyone to do anything. Wanna run Hog Zarya? Open queue exists.

people tend to forget this

1 Like

What about q times lmao

Queue times? What are those? I only need to wait about 10 seconds as an elite tank main. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I would get an insta q as a main tank but an hour q for dps sounds kinda rough

1 Like

it’ll be even longer than that with this. this bottlenecks queues further. tank queue is 2-10 seconds for me. thats crazy
the problem with “solutions” like this is how they dont actually fix the problem that everyone will still be waiting on a tank regardless if they’re separated into off tanks or main tanks. it changes nothing

tanking in general isn’t much of an enjoyable experience. It’s still fun for me but even i can admit its masochism

The only reason this would increase queue times is because we have too many off tanks who will run double offtank, i.e. Not really fulfilling the duty they queued for.

Main tanks would be quick and dps and support should be unchanged.

the duty they signed up for is tanking, off tanks are tanks.

1 Like

I do not consider myself masochistic. I play Hog because I am sadistic.

Why do we have to pretend that running double offtank isn’t a painful hurdle for the rest of the team? If I queue for tank I will go main tank if the other goes off. If I queue healer and we need more heals, I’ll play Ana / Moira. If I’m dps and my partner is on junk / doom etc and they have pharah / echo I’ll go hitscan.

People should do their duty if they queue for a role imo

Double offtank is a throw the vast majority of the time, can we stop pretending that the Hog / Zarya comp consisting of two people refusing to drop their egos is an actual “tank” setup and not two people who want to frag out and “carry”

1 Like

this depends on what you define as duty. not every tank does the same job as they either take space or deny space

it isn’t in every case though. some games are winnable even with a hog/zarya